What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

today is gonna suck...

CharlesU Farley

I'm a bit confused here but where did armedoldhippie say his friend was _drunk_??

I'm a litteral kind of guy, thanks to Harley, and I didn't take his original post that the guy was drunk. Just that he hit somebody and panicked??

That can happen to _anyone_.

After working on more fucking people than you all could ever imagine, who were killed/maimed by drunk drivers, nobody has a hard-on for _not_ drinking and driving more than I do.

And I'm an _alcoholic_, who only practices eight times a year. ;) But I don't fucking drive when I've had more than _two_ drinks.

Other than the medical help he needs, I didn't see being drunk / DUI in the original post. Even if he was drunk, that doesn't negate the _pain_ that oldarmedhippie feels, as he walks his friend to _prison_, for a fucking decade.

Dogzter has _lived_ this fucking reality, for _cannabis_. :mad:

moose eater

I'm a bit confused here but where did armedoldhippie say his friend was _drunk_??

I'm a litteral kind of guy, thanks to Harley, and I didn't take his original post that the guy was drunk. Just that he hit somebody and panicked??

After working on more fucking people than you all could ever imagine, who were killed/maimed by drunk drivers, nobody has a hard-on for _not_ drinking and driving more than I do.

And I'm an _alcoholic_, who only practices eight times a year. ;) But I don't fucking drive when I've had more than _two_ drinks.

Other than the medical help he needs, I didn't see being drunk / DUI in the original post. Even if he was drunk, that doesn't negate the _pain_ that oldarmedhippie feels, as he walks his friend to _prison_, for a fucking decade.

Legally drunk, or staggering drunk for an experienced drinker with a built-up tolerance? Two different standards, but the law goes by BAC, regardless of tolerances.

I had a client in a remote Island location who was in his early 20s (looked almost35 or 40), a hardcore alcoholic, and in order to function he needed to be over .3, and in that condition, he could carry on a somewhat coherent/intelligent conversation with no slurring of speech, and drive better than when he was .05 or .0.

However, blowing a breathalyzer over .08 here is a criminal offense, let alone running from a victim-related crime, especially one involving mortality, and it's -never- a good idea unless one is certain they can get away. The consequences will almost always quadruple.

Good friends in the Yukon Territory were driving into town, and their daughter was driving, with her mom in the front passenger seat. A repeat offender who'd been popped numerous times for drunken driving, crossed the center line and the daughter tried to take the opposing shoulder to avoid the head-on, but the drunk corrected at the last minute and took them out.

Daughter was mostly uninjured, nothing too serious, drunk bounced well like most drunks do, but my friend, the mom, was found to have a hair-line fracture in her cervical spine, and spent many months, maybe over a year, wearing a halo, with shoulder supports and the thing lightly screwed into her skull.

Her husband, a long time (half-century) friend of mine, was called to the wreck and arrived moments later. There was an RCMP there taking statements. My friend is a pacifist extreme. But in light of the injuries to his wife and the daughter evading any serious injury, and the car, the near-death episode as a whole, he found himself staring at the service pistol on the hip of the RCMP officer, and my pacifist friend experienced -SERIOUS- moments of resisting grabbing that handgun from the hip of the cop and wasting the drunk.

I'll have a beer behind the wheel out on the highway, especially in the middle of nowhere, and even puff behind the wheel as often as not. But not more than one beer in a 1.5-to-2-hour period. Most of us know when we should or shouldn't be behind the wheel.

And no one's high or fun should fuck up another's life without there being consent in advance.

Last edited:

superx

Veteran

Your a bit confused? Give me strength.

Maybe a bit brain dead?

Were you worked or who you know, is completely erelevant, can you try thinking out of the box ?
Have you ever lost anybody to a drunk driver?
Sad state of affairs with the devil's advocate, you should try the other side of the fence.
Bless your cotton socks...

Maybe moose can hit me up with pink Floyd, (wish you were here)
Can't post it here technology for ya....

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
in one hour, i have to go pick up my best friend of the last 52 years, and take him to the courthouse to surrender & begin serving 10 years, day for day, with no possibility of probation or parole as outlined in his plea agreement. the silver lining, if you want to call it that, is that he will be in a facility where he will get the medical treatment he needs, and away from the worst dangers of our lovely penal institutions here in Tennessee. :shucks:
That sounds brutal. I’m sorry for both of you. And the victim.

moose eater

Maybe a bit brain dead?

Were you worked or who you know, is completely erelevant, can you try thinking out of the box ?
Sad state of affairs with the devil's advocate, you should try the other side of the fence.

Dime

in one hour, i have to go pick up my best friend of the last 52 years, and take him to the courthouse to surrender & begin serving 10 years, day for day, with no possibility of probation or parole as outlined in his plea agreement. the silver lining, if you want to call it that, is that he will be in a facility where he will get the medical treatment he needs, and away from the worst dangers of our lovely penal institutions here in Tennessee. :shucks:
Sorry to hear that,everyone panicks,not gonna be much left for him especially at his age,that's gotta be rough,.

Dime

as others have already said, put some money on his books barter and trading is what happens in the joint

Here is my buddy getting out after doing almost 20

I stuck with him those 20 years and visited almost every week and made sure he always had money on his books which really helped him do his time

He had another 14 years to go, but our appeal worked its way all the way up to the Kansas Supreme Court, who ruled in our favor by saying he was illegally sentenced and they had to cut him loose ASAP

a max security schitt-hole prison know as Gladiator School in Kansas system

View attachment 19061223
You're a good friend,he's lucky.

Dime

The thing is many people have driven over the limit,others drove fucked up on something else.I have went snowmobiling when I have drank too much when I used to drink,I bet many here have as well and only the grace of God or sheer luck has intervened or we would be in the same boat,when you are drunk you can't think straight and are a completely different person than when you are sober.

CharlesU Farley

Maybe a bit brain dead?

Not even going to respond... other than to say you have no _earthly_ fucking idea what I've dealt with concerning drunk drivers.

When you've gone home... after ventilating patients and dealing with multiple, _famililial_ fatalities, from a ETOH induced MVA, we'll be able to communicate on the same fuckin level. :mad:

Until then, fuck off with your cotton socks. 🖕

CharlesU Farley

Legally drunk, or staggering drunk for an experienced drinker with a built-up tolerance? Two different standards, but the law goes by BAC, regardless of tolerances.

I had a client in a remote Island location who was in his early 20s (looked almost35 or 40), a hardcore alcoholic, and in order to function he needed to be over .3, and in that condition, he could carry on a somewhat coherent/intelligent conversation with no slurring of speech, and drive better than when he was .05 or .0.

However, blowing a breathalyzer over .08 here is a criminal offense, let alone running from a victim-related crime, especially one involving mortality, and it's -never- a good idea unless one is certain they can get away. The consequences will almost always quadruple.

Good friends in the Yukon Territory were driving into town, and their daughter was driving, with her mom in the front passenger seat. A repeat offender who'd been popped numerous times for drunken driving, crossed the center line and the daughter tried to take the opposing shoulder to avoid the head-on, but the drunk corrected at the last minute and took them out.

Daughter was mostly uninjured, nothing too serious, drunk bounced well like most drunks do, but my friend, the mom, was found to have a hair-line fracture in her cervical spine, and spent many months, maybe over a year, wearing a halo, with shoulder supports and the thing lightly screwed into her skull.

Her husband, a long time (half-century) friend of mine, was called to the wreck and arrived moments later. There was an RCMP there taking statements. My friend is a pacifist extreme. But in light of the injuries to his wife and the daughter evading any serious injury, and the car, the near-death episode as a whole, he found himself staring at the service pistol on the hip of the RCMP officer, and my pacifist friend experienced -SERIOUS- moments of resisting grabbing that handgun from the hip of the cop and wasting the drunk.

I'll have a beer behind the wheel out on the highway, especially in the middle of nowhere, and even puff behind the wheel as often as not. But not more than one beer in a 1.5-to-2-hour period. Most of us know when we should or shouldn't be behind the wheel.

And no one's high or fun should fuck up another's life without there being consent in advance.
Too much to read right now... too _angry_ to respond appropriately but the first and last paragraphs of your post are what stand out to me. (y)

I was responding to armedoldhippie, and the _pain_ he was feeling, not trying to make some global fucking statement about drunk driving or the consequences.

Hope _you_ understand, cause if ya don't, _nobody_ on this forum will.:unsure:

Dime

Not even going to respond... other than to say you have no _earthly_ fucking idea what I've dealt with concerning drunk drivers.

When you've gone home... after ventilating patients and dealing with multiple, _famililial_ fatalities, from a ETOH induced MVA, we'll be able to communicate on the same fuckin level. :mad:

Until then, fuck off with your cotton socks. 🖕
I hear you Charles, I don't know what sort of punishment is just ,it's a tough call. As far as I'm concerned alcohol should be banned ,it destroys everything it touches..

moose eater

The thing is many people have driven over the limit,others drove fucked up on something else.I have went snowmobiling when I have drank too much when I used to drink,I bet many here have as well and only the grace of God or sheer luck has intervened or we would be in the same boat,when you are drunk you can't think straight and are a completely different person than when you are sober.
I typically know when I'm too fucked up on alcohol to drive, and I don't drink much at once due to not liking the effects. Only a couple times I drove that I knew I was too far beyond the line, and one of those was in the wee hours of the night, getting myself and passengers away from some folks who were flat out nuts and armed.

Two other times were on the Alaska Hwy in the Yukon Territory and one of those I was coming back into Alaska back when it was gravel, didn't want to toss my stash (raised by Depression-era parents and the whole 'waste not, want not' thing), during which, in the 16 miles between the 2 customs stations, I ate some reds, drank some beer, smoked most of the rest of my weed, and I was lucky they didn't ask me to step out of my vehicle at Alaska Customs, as I'd have poured myself out the door, slithering, truly, but I kept in my lane, and know for a fact I did..

The other incident I was headed south, somewhere near Pine Valley Bakery in the Yukon, and had too much to drink. Took the inside on a blind banked left-hand curve and took the shoulder on the opposing lane when oncoming traffic came into view.

I was a youngster in all of those cases, and rarley drank like that.

Moderate amounts of amphetamines, coke, and even LSD have had me perform behind the wheel quite competently.

Weed is self-titrating, and I know my limits in most cases.

Alcohol, barbiturates, opiates, etc., loosen up perceptions, thoughts, reaction times, and awareness or thinking in general. Bad business for any of those beyond a micro-dose to even entertain behind the wheel.

But I've -always- known when I was too fucked up to drive or shouldn't have been behind the wheel..

moose eater

Too much to read right now... too _angry_ to respond appropriately but the first and last paragraphs of your post are what stand out to me. (y)

I was responding to armedoldhippie, and the _pain_ he was feeling, not trying to make some global fucking statement about drunk driving or the consequences.

I get where you're coming from. Any long-term positive friendship where there's a bond, and life changes abruptly, it's going to suck. Connections that once were a certain way, an outlet, conversations, etc., and in a case like this, that all goes away.

As someone else said, everyone loses.

superx

Veteran

Literally, you can't read between the lines, can you ?

Somebody in the audience knows what your on about?

Dime

I worked reinforcing concrete and one day a guy showed up who just got out of prison but kept up his dues while he was in there so he got called, He did a duece and said he had 22 impaired driving convictions in his life,he was in his 40's, no shit. At lunch he went right down to the bar and had a cple beers . It shows how helpless some people can be under its power.

moose eater

I hear you Charles, I don't know what sort of punishment is just ,it's a tough call. As far as I'm concerned alcohol should be banned ,it destroys everything it touches..
There's been a false dichotomy perpetrated by our society and by the Powers that be. if something has been culturally accepted and prevalent in most of society, then it's perceived as safe. (My mother died of an acetaminophen OD).

Alcohol is correlated to all kinds of nastiness in this world; increased rates of domestic violence, violence in general, property crimes, traffic fatalities, and garden variety accidents, etc.

Banning creates an illegal market with greater abuses and violence, like our dry villages, where 40 years ago someone with a plane would buy cases upon cases of D- grade liquor for $7/bottle and fly it out to dry villages, selling it even back then for $100 to $125/bottle, and with the binge drinking among folks in a dry village, the carnage was often greater than if they'd had a regular supply of booze in the village. Not to mention the economic issues of that kind of pricing in places with little or no economy; something they still contend with today with black-market weed.

I think the answer rests in individual responsibility, which includes individual consequences, and better education that doesn't dress things in cultural biases and preferences or cultural blindness, but pharmacological truth. And this Country, among others, hasn't had pharmacological truth in education since the opium wars started in the early 1900s.

Alcohol kills people. And it's an ugly death once someone reaches alcohol-induced dementia and organ failure in places where home health care can only clean them up once or twice a day, if they're lucky.

Brother Nature

Damn, that's rough @armedoldhippy. Hope he gets the help he needs, that's a long time. It's one of the main reasons I quit drinking, I couldn't stop my self from drinking and driving or riding. Sober me hated it and always knows that's the wrong thing but after a few beers I stopped giving a fuck. It's impossible to get around down here without a vehicle and the penalties are nothing compared to the US, I have met people who have had upwards of 10 convictions and never seen a cell so it's far to common and the social attitude regarding it is a joke. Luckily I have never harmed anyone or myself, but that was just because of luck, couldn't keep chancing it. Was one of the best decisions I've ever made though, nearly every other aspect of my life has improved because of it.