What's new

thread for people born 150+ years to late

Joe Hawkins

George Hayduke said:
I have NEVER said living 150+ years ago didn't have its problems or that it wasn't hard, I never said that, i know living 150 years ago was probably 150x harder than it is today. I picked the date 150+ years kind of randomly and rushingly. Its just kind of a reference date for people who are fed up with modern times and would be happier living off the grid. Now quit running everything I say over with a fine toothed comb. I wrote that first post in a couple minutes without really looking it over...
sheesh...

In my world, and most peoples, if you blurt something without knowing WTF you're talking about, someone is bound to pull you up and challenge you, its called the real world.
Now if you take offence to me pointing out your misgivings, and would like to remain ignorant, then that is your prerogotive.

Now you can go and do what you say you want to do , that is go outback and live off the land , but I dont see you doing it, all I see is you arguing like only a teenager can on the internet, ie when challenged stamp and moan and get defensive, Grow up Kiddo.
So its been about three days since you started your thread, but you're still sitting in the comfort of a modern home, plugged into the WWW, and consuming precious resources that contribute to the greenhouse effect, sucking the life out of the planet. Oh the luxury of being able to have a choice.

Joe Hawkins said:
In my world, and most peoples, if you blurt something without knowing WTF you're talking about, someone is bound to pull you up and challenge you, its called the real world.
Now if you take offence to me pointing out your misgivings, and would like to remain ignorant, then that is your prerogotive.

Now you can go and do what you say you want to do , that is go outback and live off the land , but I dont see you doing it, all I see is you arguing like only a teenager can on the internet, ie when challenged stamp and moan and get defensive, Grow up Kiddo.
So its been about three days since you started your thread, but you're still sitting in the comfort of a modern home, plugged into the WWW, and consuming precious resources that contribute to the greenhouse effect, sucking the life out of the planet. Oh the luxury of being able to have a choice.
nah the internet isn't the real world nor would i take offense to anything you say so just calm down. the year 150+ years ago is so general i don't see anyone making a big deal out of it except you. 150+ years could mean any period of time. so i really don't get what you're saying there is nothing to debate.
i also understand that i have the luxary of choice. i live in the united states in the year 2007 and thats just a reality. if i use a computer or not that doesn't mean i can't be frustrated with todays world and think i would have been happier living in another time. if i was in a position to leave to go live off the land i would have already been gone. one day i will do what i dream and i'll have the satisfaction of knowing i'll never have contact without again. :muahaha:

Last edited:
NOKUY- looks like they are going to be making the monkey wrench gang by edward abbey into a movie now. apparently there have been several scripts written for the movie and edward abbey wanted it made. i guess production keeps being halted though for some bullshit politican reasons probably.

heres the link- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482548/

Last edited:
G

I think everyone is being a bit too quick to pull the trigger in the situation of a sniper (dat prolyl doesn't make sense to u, bt it does make sense lol)

From wat i've read (which i adit isn't every piece of this thread) Georgey boy is saying he would hav been happier if he had of been brought into ths world 150+ years ago ... not that he would trade everything he has now to travel bak 150+ years ... if he had been born 150+ years ago he would hav no idea of wat there was today so he couldn't envy it or compare it (which is contradictory in itself bt ay no wat i mean lol) ... A lot of people say they would LOVE to live off the land etc etc and don't even hav a vege garden in the backyard (if they hav a back yard) ... if u want to b a lil more intune wif nature, grow soe vege's etc. put soe vege's in ur grow area or something lol ... for those who like modern day technology; u could learn at least a lil from being at least a lil bit more intune wif nature

Dat's jst wat i hav to say, i'm not trying to start an arguement or offend anyone!

i just watched this full documentary about Richard Proenneke called alone in the wilderness. he was 50 years old when he first went into Alaska in 1967 to chop the wood for his cabin. he went back a year later when he was 51 to build his cabin and live there full time. he continued to live there for over 30 years and left at age 81 because the winters were becoming to rough on him. so he moved to California to live with his brother until he died at age 84. i know pbs has shown the documentary a few times. ive known about Richard Proenneke for years but i never got to see the documentary. i bet nokuy knows about him. you can still go up to twins lake today and see his cabin. ive been up there a couple times and its wonderful. anyway heres a short clip of the flim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfB6oJ55wM

Last edited:

NOKUY

Veteran
George Hayduke said:
i just watched this full documentary about Richard Proenneke called alone in the wilderness. he was 50 years old when he first went into Alaska in 1967 to chop the wood for his cabin. he went back a year later when he was 51 to build his cabin and live there full time. he continued to live there for over 30 years and left at age 81 because the winters were becoming to rough on him. so he moved to California to live with his brother until he died at age 84. i know pbs has shown the documentary a few times. ive known about Richard Proenneke for years but i never got to see the documentary. i bet nokuy knows about him. you can still go up to twins lake today and see his cabin. ive been up there a couple times and its wonderful. anyway heres a short clip of the flim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfB6oJ55wM

yep I know all about him.

I have the video and the book "one mans wilderness"....(pretty much a collection of his diaries)

his cabin is Amazing...built entirely w/ hand tools....he was def. a master craftsman, and a very patient guy.

His cabin and property was donated to the Lake Clark National park and is considered a historical landmark today.

yeah a full scribed cabin from scratch is tough, hard, patient work. i dare anyone who says otherwise to try it themselves. even his tools to build his cabin were made by hand and everything inside was made by hand too. he even had a cache built on stilts he made himself. he was definetly a master craftsman.

Last edited:

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Im somehwere in the middle...theres shit i love about the modern world, and stuff i despise....
My favourite band is the levellers, and tthe chorus of theior song "Sellout" kinda sums part of my feelings up
"Do I belong to some ancient race? - I like to walk in ancient places!
THESE are things that I can can understand
I dont believe in your modern ways-dont care about the things you say, your policies have failed the test of time
Cos you sold em down the river."

But there things from 150 years ago that i could do without too though....like smallpox for example.
If i could grow and be secure id be back living on site like a shot, but a caravan or conbverted bus for a crustie like me to live in doesnt require a search warrant lol.
and the bic lighter lol...imagine having to play the "Indian Fiddle"(you can thank ray mears for me knowing what that is) every time you want a bong .......
speaking of ray mears one of the ppl he went to the hadza, suych an amazinbtg ppl and the rspect for the land and the animals..and the way they THRIVE in a pkace where id be dead in a week is ****ing awsome. When they kill and animal the sit and comfort and calm it(as much as would be possible) as it dies, and then perform a little ritual/prayer thanking and honouring the anmial whos body is going to nourish them.
So called "Backward" cultures like this could teach the modern world a lotg about what it really is to be a part iof this planet, as opposed to just existing on it.
To me the perfect place would be somehwere i could grow and privide for all my needss and maybe stuff to trade to meat and other things.... Isolated enough to be in opeace but not so much though that its an expedition every time you need to go anywhere....

Last edited:

Liam

STOP BLAMING EVERYONE ELSE, get off your lazy ass and go live in the bush.

BTW, posting this ONLINE is completely idiotic because obviously you do LOVE technology.

Liam said:
STOP BLAMING EVERYONE ELSE, get off your lazy ass and go live in the bush.

BTW, posting this ONLINE is completely idiotic because obviously you do LOVE technology.
who's been blaming things on everyone else?

secondly, technology is here and its available despite what i think about so sometimes some of us make compromises and use it. i'm sure you make compromises in your daily life too. no one likes to go to work but we do it because its a part of our survival in this culture. that doesn't mean we can't think we'd be better off without work or modern technology. i don't know how many times i am going to have to repeat this, but before i do it again can you please read it correctly the first time? just because you use something doesn't mean you love it. please, folks do you guys know anything about beating a dead horse to death? because thats what you've done for 11 pages.

P.S. who says i don't spend time in the woods alone either for extended periods of times?

Last edited:

tuco

Hey George. I think I know where you are coming from...sorry to hear people are getting carried away with semantics.

Sounds like you have an ok situation as it is though...as god as it can get in The States I guess.

I'm always thankful for where I live. Geographically, I basically live on the edge of civilization, Tasmania in SE Australia. Fresh air blowing up from the Southern Ocean and at the moment GM crops are still banned here. Generally, we seem to be hanging on to our own destiny and keeping outside influences to a minimum e.g. McD's and Starbucks. We seem to have an inherent fear of big business which is always healthy. lol

Come find yourself a nice quiet corner in Oz. :rasta:

tuco

Joe Hawkins
I come from a village that still lives like it did 5000 years ago, no electricity, no running water, no health care this is how I grew up from a child, 150 years ago my ancestors were still eating humans. About that same time humans were marketed as fertiliser in the wild wild west.

Aren't you from Oz Joe? Where you talking about, mate? Not calling you out or anything...sounds like you are talking about an Aboriginal settlement or something?

Latest posts

Latest posts