What's new

Thinking of giving up my card

Sir_Syzurp

I have had my card for a few years now, and I am really considering giving it up. I do not see any pros to having it. I have not personally had these happen to me, but I will tell you a few stories.

A friend of mine while driving one morning, gets pulled over. Officer asks for license & registration, notices my friend has his medical card and asks him to follow him for a urine screen as he believes he is high at the time. My friend under the same assumption I am, if you hold you card and an officer asks you to take a test under assumption of dui you have to take it. So he takes it comes back dirty of course, but he hadn't smoked that day yet at all, and was not carrying anything either. The officer arrests him for DUI and in turn it cost him 4k for representation to properly handle his case as well as bail.

Another story another card holding friend of mine with his recommendation to hold over the 1 oz initial limit, gets caught with just under a half pound of product straight from a dispensary still labeled and separately wrapped gets caught and sent to jail on intent to sell and distribute. Cost him almost 10k for bail and representation

Now I have always grown for myself no more than 6-7 mature at a time at my personal residence, I have been asked to caregive for a few friends but to my knowledge caregiving here is just a myth so I always turn them down. I am also operating under the assumption that even our local law enforcement have access to the mmj list so I am weary of having a check-up at any time.

I have a few friends that suggest to me to just give up my card that under the current laws if you were to get busted the same amount of money will be spent to prove your innocence or abiding of the laws vs just gettin the lawyer to reduce the punishment/fine.

Any input will be greatly appreciated

supermanlives

Veteran
what state? in cali having a card really dont have any benefit that i can see.got a good rec and a medical need. when the fucked up temp roomate called the cops . once they saw the posted rec ,they were done. didnt even want to count plants or look for more. which there was alot more. was about 50 small plants in the tent. i dont wanna be on a list . edit just figured out nevada. sorry good luck man

Last edited:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
You pretty much nailed it.

Don't quote me on it... but as far as I was aware, having the proper medical documentation is all you really need. The process required for a nevada card is too creepy for me... that's for sure.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
im in nevada 49 yr old long hair and beard also have MMJ rec and current with state, i've had countless popos get behind me run my plates and drive away. maybe drove away because i have army veteran plates and extreamly clean driving record, been pulled over once and never asked if i was carrying or under influance. sounds to me your friend should have used visene before driving gets the red out. and never drive directly after smoken a joint unless you wash and use colonge. and never never never smoke mj wilst driving in nevada thats just asking for it.

nevadas DUID laws are fckn crazy test above 5 nano grams and your under influance now piss for a job and 25 ng or less bench test the lab dosent even bother calling you the jobs yours

ya know ive thought about not renewing my rec either this will be my 3rd yr if i do

now if i dont renew and get poped medicial nessesity isnt my defense with my numbers 1 yr probation most likely.

now if i renew my rec get poped keep my numbers where they be, cops shall rob me of my plants and dried materail. if they decide to charge me medicial nessesity is my defense and they know it. as a registered mmj patient medicial nessesity isnt allowed as my defense if they feds take the case. i have yet to hear of a case where the feds prosocuted a 40 plant garden lately

dddaver

Veteran
Is that your personal position for every MMJ state?

It is mine. Until the feds okay it or at least remove it from Sched. 1, it just don't matter that much. You're just adding your name to a list of potential criminals to them.

Friend

Veteran
In my state's MMJ program, the law was set up so that a doctor's rec and a state issued card are functionally the same. So as far as i'm aware, it's possible to utilize the program without actually being in the government database. But if you get pulled over, the cops will still fuck with you whether you show them a card or a recommendation.

You think the 5 nanogram per liter DUI limit in Nevada is bad? In my state anything above zero nanograms will get you a DUID charge, meaning that if you use MMJ it is essentially illegal to drive a car at any time.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is no central registry in California, so that isn't an issue for me. I wouldn't have a card except for the testing done on chronic pain patients who are prescribed opiates. The DEA has pressured doctors into testing patients to make sure that they aren't "re-directing" their drugs, and if you come up with MJ metabolites in your system and you don't have a card, it is considered evidence of using illegal drugs. If this happens, then you will be dropped out of the program, your insurance company can refuse to pay for the opiates, etc. Supposedly if you have a card, it isn't an issue because the mj can be acquired legally. Hypocrites much?

Sir_Syzurp

You think the 5 nanogram per liter DUI limit in Nevada is bad? In my state anything above zero nanograms will get you a DUID charge, meaning that if you use MMJ it is essentially illegal to drive a car at any time.

So basically if I were to let my card expire but keep my recommendation current, they technically couldn't charge me criminally?

Sir_Syzurp

Damn it, I must have deleted my reply to the quote lol... I think racial profiling was in play when they DUI tested my friend, he is an African American with visible tattoos all over, he has even been messed with while riding in the rear passenger seat of my car when I got pulled over for a broken tail light. They didnt ask to search the car or my wife and I, just him.

S

SeaMaiden

Here's the question I have on the person who was pulled and DUI'd--would the officer have asked them to test in any event? It seems a very simple matter to put the card in a place it can't be seen immediately when pulled over, a very simple matter. Unless, that is, the officer can search for that information quickly on their own, is that what you're saying, it's a database?

I'm in California, so I don't know if you're required to have this card in the first place. Is it like our state, where you *must* have a doctor's recommendation, but may or may not have an ID card that puts you in a database accessible by LE? Or are you required to only have the card, irrespective of a recommendation?

Sir_Syzurp

In Nevada if you have your card it attached to your drivers license, your plates, registration, driving record, employment records. So the second you are pulled over, if its your car the cop already knows, if your a passenger and they ask you for your license and they run it they know as soon as your profile is pulled up.

FlaDankster

Veteran
A friend of mine while driving one morning, gets pulled over. Officer asks for license & registration, notices my friend has his medical card and asks him to follow him for a urine screen as he believes he is high at the time. My friend under the same assumption I am, if you hold you card and an officer asks you to take a test under assumption of dui you have to take it. So he takes it comes back dirty of course, but he hadn't smoked that day yet at all, and was not carrying anything either. The officer arrests him for DUI and in turn it cost him 4k for representation to properly handle his case as well as bail.

I don't understand how pissing in the popo's cup PROVES that one IS driving under the influence.

How could that not get torn to pieces in a court room?

Sir_Syzurp

I don't understand how pissing in the popo's cup PROVES that one IS driving under the influence.

How could that not get torn to pieces in a court room?

Honestly I have the same question, but I guess its simply because of the way the laws are worded. I am no legal mind by any means so for me to delve in to the laws and try to interpret the meanings, I would probably just misconstrue it all.

My friend ended up getting off after he hired representation, but until the attorney hit the scene the DA would not drop the charges, nor offer him a plea deal better than drug court and 1 yr probation like he was pulled over for actually smoking in the vehicle. Once the attorney hit the scene it all went away, but c'mon why should a card holder have to pay 4k to get off some charge you shouldn't have to worry about to begin with especially with no sign of him actually being high at the time.

V

vonforne

Once the attorney hit the scene it all went away, but c'mon why should a card holder have to pay 4k to get off some charge you shouldn't have to worry about to begin with especially with no sign of him actually being high at the time.

Federal money for one. And the 4 K you friend paid into the same system. It is all about the money my man. They think everyone who grows makes big bucks like on the TV shows they have all of ´merica
watching.

V

I would keep it.......I don't think anyone can afford a felony. Job wise. Thats a big game changer. You never know when murphys law will come and its always out there looming. It is kinda creepy that it tied to your drivers licence. (automatically by seeing the sticker you are being pre-judged). I agree with the policy that you shouldn't drive drunk or stoned period, but the gradient scale doesn't work as it stays in your system for 30 days. The legal aspect is flawed. Dont drive stoned. If I got pulled over I would throw my phone on record.......just to get the facts of any conversation on tape. Lawyers charge by the hour. If you got a slam dunk case I wouldn't want to go in representing myself, but you could chance it with a Public Pretender if you cant pay. Even print out this thread showing that you have concerns about this issue. But take a stance as don't drive impaired period.