What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Things Falling Apart: BAD SIGNS

buzzmobile

Veteran
New York City is made for great walks and meeting interesting people and seeing interesting things. Do not miss a subway ride.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
It's been my experience that no big city I've been to has ever been entirely good or bad. Rather it's a matter of being aware of your surroundings, don't go into areas that are obviously risky and project yourself as someone it would be a good idea not to screw with. I used to go into some of the worst neighborhoods in DC back when it was known as the murder capital of the US and the worst thing that ever happened to me was I got ripped oFf on a drug deal. Which that was my fault for trusting someone I didn't know to hold up his end of the deal. Aside from that I never got mugged or shot at or stabbed. Now I'm not suggesting those neighborhoods are perfectly safe for tourists but then again there was nothing but run down apartment complexes and open air drug markets so not exactlly a tourist destination. If you stuck to the popular tourist destinations (the monuments and museums) you were perfectly safe as long as you practiced commonsense behaviors to not identify yourself as an easy mark.

xtsho

I was visiting a friend across the river in Washington state. Nice suburban residential neighborhood in the city of Vancouver WA. Stopped by the local Safeway to get some beer and encountered this.

tweaker.jpg

Right after I snapped this photo the tweaker raised it's head and mumbled something. I just laughed and walked to the car.

Crime and addicts are not confined to the big cities. I've enjoyed all of my visits to New York City. I've spent a significant amount of time there as my sister used to live in Nyack just up the Hudson river. Had a great time riding the subway and exploring. The only thing remotely scary was the size of the rats scurrying down the subway tunnels.

I have a niece that lives in Brooklyn and I'm planning a trip to go visit. I can't wait. I miss the authentic delicatessens. The fake delicatessens we have here are overpriced garbage as far as I'm concerned. I started making my own corned beef and pastrami years ago because I couldn't find anything worth eating around here and I love me some corned beef or pastrami on rye with mustard. I have to make the bread as well because I'm not paying close to $10 for a damn loaf of bread and I'm not wasting my quality cured meat by putting it on some mass produced crap masquerading as rye bread sold at the grocery store.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I was visiting a friend across the river in Washington state. Nice suburban residential neighborhood in the city of Vancouver WA. Stopped by the local Safeway to get some beer and encountered this.

View attachment 19049855

Right after I snapped this photo the tweaker raised it's head and mumbled something. I just laughed and walked to the car.

Crime and addicts are not confined to the big cities. I've enjoyed all of my visits to New York City. I've spent a significant amount of time there as my sister used to live in Nyack just up the Hudson river. Had a great time riding the subway and exploring. The only thing remotely scary was the size of the rats scurrying down the subway tunnels.

I have a niece that lives in Brooklyn and I'm planning a trip to go visit. I can't wait. I miss the authentic delicatessens. The fake delicatessens we have here are overpriced garbage as far as I'm concerned. I started making my own corned beef and pastrami years ago because I couldn't find anything worth eating around here and I love me some corned beef or pastrami on rye with mustard. I have to make the bread as well because I'm not paying close to $10 for a damn loaf of bread and I'm not wasting my quality cured meat by putting it on some mass produced crap masquerading as rye bread sold at the grocery store.
Homemade corned beef and rye bread? I bet you make a mean Rueben. 😋

moose eater

Incredibly egregious fraud in Hospice billing. Some laughable, otherwise deserving of prison and a life of public service as a consequence, not to mention some medical licenses needing to be yanked.

Last edited:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Just put your hands up and stick your head in the sand.

The strangest thing is seeing American people spitting on American people.