What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Super Duper Beautiful or Trippy Photo Thread!

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
fhheududneb.jpg

Loriented

I had to look it up. I've never heard of such a thing...too cool
Fogbows
form when sunlight interacts with much smaller water droplets contained in fog or mist, rather than rain.
So I sent those pics to the NWS and PSU today.
I asked of it was a fogbow.
They both say it is a low angle rainbow.
Fogbows are White. This just proves to me that the mountain makes it's own weather. There had to be raindrops in that fog, which is cool, but the storm was long gone.

PSU Thanks for sending in this photo! This was a good point of conversation amongst the Weather & Climate Communications Group today as a fogbow would be more white. You typically need bigger drops for color, so a rather high sun angle and some residual light rain falling between the mountain means this was probably a low-hanging rainbow. A unique snapshot, no less, with you at the right vantage point at just the right time. Thanks again for sharing! We may feature this as a Photo of Week in future weeks!

NWS
Incredible shots, We snapped a similar photo out our window in State College at the same time yesterday. Thinking it's a rainbow technically, low to the horizon because of the sun angle still being around 31 degrees, and how far away the storm is. The ridgeline right behind the rainbow in your shots looks awesome. Would it be OK if we save off your photos and potentially use them in future NWS media?
Thanks again!
NWS Shot
1000013525.jpg

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
420club
So I sent those pics to the NWS and PSU today.
I asked of it was a fogbow.
They both say it is a low angle rainbow.
Fogbows are White. This just proves to me that the mountain makes it's own weather. There had to be raindrops in that fog, which is cool, but the storm was long gone.

PSU Thanks for sending in this photo! This was a good point of conversation amongst the Weather & Climate Communications Group today as a fogbow would be more white. You typically need bigger drops for color, so a rather high sun angle and some residual light rain falling between the mountain means this was probably a low-hanging rainbow. A unique snapshot, no less, with you at the right vantage point at just the right time. Thanks again for sharing! We may feature this as a Photo of Week in future weeks!

NWS
Incredible shots, We snapped a similar photo out our window in State College at the same time yesterday. Thinking it's a rainbow technically, low to the horizon because of the sun angle still being around 31 degrees, and how far away the storm is. The ridgeline right behind the rainbow in your shots looks awesome. Would it be OK if we save off your photos and potentially use them in future NWS media?
Thanks again!
NWS Shot
View attachment 19050890

Incredible validation!!! :yoinks:
:good::whee::groupwave:

Latest posts

Latest posts