What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Search for Trip Weed

Knop

Hola Mr. GT,

I think it is worthwhile searching through anyone's Haze seeds. When I first tried Haze, I bought Willy Jack Haze, Original Haze, and Neville's Haze. I grew and tested about 30 seeds a few at a time. I don't remember what was my top strain at the time, but as I grew and tested each one, I killed each one. I kept up with a hopeful search because what they all had in common was a delayed reaction, and the high lasted a long time. Even though they weren't especially potent, the display of these effects reminded me of really good weed I smoked in my youth.

When I burned through the Willy Jack seeds and started on the Original Haze, I was sure I had the right ones. I don't know if this is Tom Hill's or not. They looked extremely sativa, and had gorgeous bud that were very resinous and fuzzy. I kept killing the ones I had tested. I did the Neville's Haze last, and at first was disappointed with the looks of them. Not as pretty as the Original Haze. Again, I killed them off a few at a time. Then one sprouted that looked very different. It was much more delicate looking and had very long and skinny leaves. It was also extremely light green, almost yellow in color and took a long time to grow. It took so long, that I grew it last by itself because it could not keep up with the others.

I nick-named this plant Acapulco Thai because I had heard Acapulco Gold and Thai was in Haze, and this was so "gold" looking with it's yellow color. The smell of the rubbed stem reminded me of Thai. This one took forever to flower and it never got anything you would call buds. Just small bunches of calyxes. In a grow cabinet where I normally can get a 1/4 to 1/2 pound, I got less than an ounce. When I first smoked it, I thought it was a dud, worse than the others. Then it hit me... God Almighty. It was just like Thai Stick, but better. It hit me so fast, I thought I might have passed out and was just coming to. It was also very euphoric. Best weed I ever smoked.

I just finished testing a Purple Haze Thai from ACE Seeds. It was a male, so I bred it with SAGE and smoked a daughter. It was better than all those other Haze seeds I rejected, but no where near that one Neville's Haze. I believe you could come across a great one if you are looking through Haze of any kind. I think you have to be lucky though, which is better than looking through strains where you have no chance of finding a great one.

My eyes glaze over when people trace the lineage to a specific individual that one or the other breeders have or had in their possession. What I do know is, that for my preferences, if it has Thai in it's lineage, all things are possible. I feel that way about Haze in general also. In fact, since I have seen pictures of Highland Oaxacan Gold, I now see that that particular Haze pheno looked very much like that strain. So Thai, Haze, and Oaxacan are forever on my list of strains worth searching through.

Here is a picture of a child from that Neville's Haze. It looks different because I crossed it with Burmese and Hawaiian Haze as I selfed it back to the Neville's cut several times. It is now a fat leaved pheno. It has kept that yellow/golden color from it.

picture.php

Best of luck on your search. Please post here as it will surely be of interest to me and anyone else searching for trip weed.

ThaiBliss

:biggrin:
where did you buy neville haze seeds?

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings Amigos!

I recently got back from a visit to my old haunts. I brought along some seeds of my old tried and true line. I also saw a monster of a plant from those genes and got to smell those aromas as it is just starting to flower way up north. I miss those babies. My plants here survived the rains and continue to flower. They look so good, I'm keeping them out in the rain as an experiment.

The following are pictures of the seedling that came up in April, too early. It has tiny buds that are very pungent with a perfume-like floral aroma. It reminds me of the Neville's Haze that was so strong grown indoors. This plant has tiny buds that I doubt will get much bigger than they are now. I don't care how puney they are if they are strong.
;)
20240725_104057.jpg
20240725_104132.jpg
20240725_105828.jpg
20240725_110039.jpg

All the rain has flushed out most of the nitrogen from the pots causing the old leaves on the plants to yellow out. I'm adding more since they are many months away from finishing.

Good luck with your searches!

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

This plant has turned from floral smelling to very spicy nearly overnight. This is an evening pic with flash. There is one dead bud. Not sure if it's rain or insect related.

20240813_180134.jpg

These buds, though small, are way tighter than my first two plants from last year. I do appreciate the lanky and more open structure this plant has. It allows for more sun and ventilation to all the buds in this rainy, humid climate. There is huge variety in these F1 polyhybrid seeds. Whoops. Although the F1 polyhybrids do have incredible variety, this particular plant is actually an F2.

I have seeds in the ground, from both my old line and the Thai dominant line, with one already poking it's head up. Possibly a touch late again this year, but if they start out healthy, they will be about a month earlier than last year. My old line will be 2 or 3 months earlier if I let them take their natural course. However, I plan to try and give them artificial light at night so they can get at least some size to them before flowering. I'll breed them to a GTS x (NH21 x MM) tropical plant if I can find a real winner in the tropical lineage. Long flowering mold resistant genetics are very valuable here. I need some luck.

All the Best,

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

So far, so good with my seedlings.

Here are my northern line that I've never culled for many decades. Outcross, inbreed, repeat... I think these seeds are getting old from not being stored properly. So far, only half have come up. Nobody really understands what all goes into taking care of these babies. I'm SO glad these are in my hands again. I'll feel much better when I have a good sized vile of these seeds again.

20240817_180217.jpg
20240817_180224.jpg

My GTS x (NH21 x MM) One started to get eaten. Probably got too high and wandered off:

20240817_180151.jpg
20240817_180156.jpg
20240817_180204.jpg
20240817_180212.jpg

A few more are starting to poke through the top of the soil.
I spend well over an hour on these every day. Move them out into the clear morning sun. Move them to the greenhouse for the afternoon storms. I bring them into a room with light and warmth for the night.
Man, I do a shit ton of work just to find those cerebral highs from the good ole days.
So excited to see how my old line works here in the tropics.
:canabis:

StickyBandit

Greetings,

This plant has turned from floral smelling to very spicy nearly overnight. This is an evening pic with flash. There is one dead bud. Not sure if it's rain or insect related.

View attachment 19048124

These buds, though small, are way tighter than my first two plants from last year. I do appreciate the lanky and more open structure this plant has. It allows for more sun and ventilation to all the buds in this rainy, humid climate. There is huge variety in these F1 polyhybrid seeds. Whoops. Although the F1 polyhybrids do have incredible variety, this particular plant is actually an F2.

I have seeds in the ground, from both my old line and the Thai dominant line, with one already poking it's head up. Possibly a touch late again this year, but if they start out healthy, they will be about a month earlier than last year. My old line will be 2 or 3 months earlier if I let them take their natural course. However, I plan to try and give them artificial light at night so they can get at least some size to them before flowering. I'll breed them to a GTS x (NH21 x MM) tropical plant if I can find a real winner in the tropical lineage. Long flowering mold resistant genetics are very valuable here. I need some luck.

All the Best,

ThaiBliss
Survival of the fittest is a great way to sort out the best for the climate :)

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

Right now I'm loving the volunteer plant from last season's #1 plant. I'm sitting in my house and I get this whiff of some noxious aroma. It smelled like my neighbor is doing some painting. Funny thing was, the sun had just come out and I decided to get a few pics of this plant. When I got close to it, I realized the aroma was coming from that plant. Suddenly, it smelled really good. LOL. Floral, spicy, and some solvent-like aroma.

I hate to risk jinxing it, but this plant has been nearly bulletproof. Just as it has been laying on the buds, it has been out in rugged weather with it raining and/or foggy nearly every day for at least 6 weeks. It still needs to finish, and I'm not sure yet if it can take a lightning strike. Otherwise, it is making me consider that it is worthwhile to attempt these genetics year round. What a beast!

This plant also handled the late dose of nitrogen pretty well. It greened up without noticably affecting the flowers too negatively. It likely has leafier buds than it would have with a slow steady decline in nitrogen fertilizer.

20240819_095705.jpg
20240819_095722.jpg
20240819_113520.jpg
20240819_113631.jpg
20240819_113646.jpg

My reveg of last season's #2 plant really got twisted by the late dose of nitrogen. It looks like it came out of flowering and started to veg again a little bit. This plant was the one that looked a lot more like a Thai plant to me and didn't have good bud structure. Adding a large dose of nitrogen after it started flowering reallty wacked it bad. Yet another way that Thai plants are the most difficult plants to grow. This info will allow me to fine tune my feeding regiment.

20240819_094142.jpg
20240819_094135.jpg

All the Best in Your Search

Masonweed420

I have so much to write but too little time at present.

The trippiest weed I have ever smoked was from a Macedonian grow operation in the 90s that operated out of Sydney Australia. Despite being a commercial op we had access to the dealer's head stash that was insanely powerful.

One hit and your entire world paradigm was shattered and one instantly became captured in a trancey workd. I suspected lacing but there was no evidence of this at all.

High definition vision and hearing with a magenta glow to everything. People looking like automatons and puppets. Everything having a 3D Simpsons animation feel to it.

After the initial hit which was literally like a hyperspace launch and smearing of not just vision but thoughts out into a time warp, ones heart and mind would race with thoughts. Time dilation was extreme. A minute felt like an hour and once that had settled we'd look at each other and laugh uncontrollably for minutes and then all the cartoon stuff above.

Incredible weed. I grew bagseed from it so it wasn't sinsemilla and even the growing shoots of those plants were intense.

I wish I could get some again. Nothing has ever come close since.
That sounds insane do you remember what genetics were in that grow sounds like a tightly kept secret hope it’s not lost?

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Covert,

Man, that is what I'm hoping for. Because of the description of the world looking cartoonish when high on that, it reminds me of Mexican Red Hair. Only ever saw that once. Thai Stick was a little like that also. I keep searching.
:pimp3:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Speaking of red hair or punto rojo (Haze), my F2 of last year's plant #1 is still going strong despite all the rain. It's pouring and flashing lightning right now. It got a fresh blush of pistils, but they are aready dead and red in less than a week. I'll post some pics soon, as the buds are swelling and getting platered with resin. I hope this plant gets done before October, the rainiest month here. That would make it another six month plant. April through September. Hmmm... El Duck is spot on again. Colombinan and Thai are similar in flowering length.
:)
It rained a lot back up north, very unusual for this time of year there, and my friend sent me pics because of a concern of drooping leaves. That peep is doing a bang up job growing a monster of a plant from my life's genetic work. The monster looks very much like the best one I grew. B.T.W., I have no concern of the drooping leaves. As soon as the soil drains and the sun shines again, it will be reaching for the sky. It has started flowering with serious intent now.

This year's monster:
IMG-20240824-WA0004.jpg
20240824_131143.jpg

Great grandmother of it that I grew from about seven years ago:

20170916_114154.jpg

20170902_084517.jpg

The high from these genetics aren't as intense and scary as Thai or that Mexican Red Hair, but the vibe is excellent and it's strong.

I have to repeatedly shout out Vancouver Island Seed Company (VISC) Burmese and ACE's Bangi Haze. Both are excellent northern breeds that whose stability made it easy for me to get consistency in my work that can be seen in these pictures. In all my previous decades of pollen-chucking, I never line bred for more than a few generations at a time. I wouldn't have used Burmese and Bangi Haze if the highs weren't very good.

Keep the faith, and don't quit searching!

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

Here is a seedling update. Looking reasonable, so far. So much better than last year. The three on the right vertical row are my old northern line. The rest are the GTS x (NH21 x MM). They are under 150 watts of white LED.

I put them outside in the mornings for the natural direct light, usually about six hours. About half the time I move them to my mini greenhouse for the afternoon storms. If it is exceptionally wet and cloudy, I'll bring them indoors for the night early.

20240826_171451.jpg

There is one that is giving me hope. It's the one in the middle with the skinny long leaflets that stick straight out, and look sharp. It reminds me of the Thai Stick seeds I tried to grow back in the 70s and early 80s. I was only sucessful twice in getting the world class potency similar to Thai Sticks. I lived in a temperate climate for most of those attempts, so I was doomed to fail. It did give me a look at a few different Thai types. Both sucesses were indoors under lights. Once was from the last Thai Stick seeds I ever got. Those last few years the Thai didn't even come on a stick anymore, and they were heavily seeded. They were just as good! I would trade my pinky finger for some of those seeds. The other time was the Neville's Haze freak pheno that was very similar to Thai Stick. Well, the plant in the middle above has that Thai plant look to it.

This is the one below. Oh boy, oh boy, I hope it is a girl with the turpentine, catpiss, and peppery pungent aroma. Damn, it looks promising:

20240826_171720.jpg

Below is one of my wet season buds. It is so crazy how well this is doing. These flowers are probably soaking wet about 22 hours out of the day. I think I can do next year's wet season even better with the sugarcane ash fertilizer I now have. I've been advised to use that fertilizer on my fig tree whose leaves get moldy. I think the high silica content makes the cell walls thicker and more resistent. The formerly floral, then spicy aromas from these buds seem to have blended to a sweet sandalwood incense smell. This is typical of what I thought were the high grade Colombian weed types.

If this plant turns out very good, I may have to create a line just for the wet season. It is crazy how quickly I moved on from the decision to only to focus only on genetics to revive the S.E. Asian weed experience. Now, while I continue those efforts, I want to continue my decades of work on my northern cerebral variety, and also a bulletproof wet climate strain.

Sometimes doors open after a tragedy. Last year's herbicide laced rice hulls incident killed half of my GTS x (NH21 x MM) seeds, and the last of my BLB Laos seeds. Now I'm more open to the new gifts that have been bestowed to me.

20240825_094255.jpg

"Breed the best and forget the rest." - Luther Burbank

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Good Morning,

It is a wonderful day here in paradise. This is especially true since my batch of starts are doing well, and my wet season plants still haven't succumbed to the recent torrential rains. But the real reason for my joy is that one of the GTS x (NH21 x MM) seedlings is beginning to stand out for it's pungency. It smells stronger than the rest, except for my northern line. Though it is even more exciting due to the types of terpenes I'm detecting. From my notes that I keep for each plant, for this particular plant I've written down "metalic, sharp, catpiss". By "catpiss", I really mean a turpentine and amonia type of smell. I believe a lot of people describe this as a fuel aroma. I use turpentine as a comparison because my father was an avid painter who used turpentine as a solvent to clean up or thin out oil paints. I'm very familiar with it. It's made from pine trees, and has that pine aroma. It's not like the pinesol cleaner. It is more subtle, and more like kerosine. I know I've gone on repeatedly about this. You should see me sniffing the apical meristems of my plants. I must look like Hannibal Lecter.

These aromas very much trigger my memories of Thai Sticks from the 70s and early 80s that I am obsessed with. I'm so confident that the ones with these terpenes are special that I will likely cull some of the plants that don't compare well to it. Now that I am witnessing the incredible mold resistence of the Colombian looking and smelling plant, I really appreciate the thin leaves, lanky structure, and small buds. All stalk and many small buds are great traits to have! LOL. The more like bamboo, the better. The special seedling is the lankiest with the skinniest leaves. Below is a picture of one of the new leaves unfolding from the special specimen.

20240902_035625.jpg

I went back in this thread to look at pictures and dates of my starts from last year. It looks like I'm a little more than 6 weeks ahead of last year's schedule. The GTS x (NH21 x MM) plants will likely go outside full time in about a week. This will trigger them into flower since they have been getting a 24 hour light regiment (outside + inside) until now. My northern line, three of them, will continue with nightime supplemental lighting until they are too big to handle.

All the Best Searching!

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

Here's another picture of the volunteer plant that I believe leans to the Comombian side. The over-fert with nitrogen may have wacked it a little, contributing to the never ending fox-tailing, but not as much as the Thai leaning pheno. Despite the still continuing fresh flushes of pistils, the buds look nice to me.

20240906_150721.jpg

The buds smell great also. Honey and spice is so nice. I'm dreaming of the smooth as silk Colombian high, narcotic without the hash plant type heaviness. No couch-lock, but dreamy, floaty, yet soaring.

Damn, this is a hell of a plant. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking, getting drenched every day. Next month is typically the rainiest month. If it makes it past next month, it'll start getting more sun and less rain. The dry season kicks in fast after the wettest month. Not sure what to hope for as far as harvest time. LOL :chin::biggrin:
🤞

ThaiBliss

Veteran
This year's dry season starts (Ha, dry season/wet season:dance013:LMAO) winner of the Thai look-a-like contest is doing a good job displaying a gigantism trait. Giant bamboo plants is what they can look like. This start came up a good week later than the rest, but has already out grown the others in height, leaf size, internode length, etc. It may be a male. If it is, I'm going to keep a clone until it's offspring is tested. It is looking a bit like the Laos I grew. Long live the upper Mekong old school varieties!

20240906_175337.jpg

20240906_175149.jpg

All the Best

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I put my biggest young plant start outside, day and night, a couple days ago. Not all plants are ready for this, but my indoor space is limited. The plant needed transplanting to a bigger pot. Because these extreme sativas flower forever, I'm not that worried that it will get too far out of synch with members of the opposite sex. It's easy to get a ton of seeds.

Something is wrong with many of the starts. I toned down the potting mix when transplanting. Perhaps I used too much of the sugarcane ash in the earlier batch.

I've realized I'm not yet competent at growing pure or nearly pure sativas, at least not the most extreme examples like Thai. I used to think that the extreme fox-tailing and forever flowering was mostly due to the artificial lights and lighting schedules. Now I see that these varieties have a very strong natural disposition towards this, as well as being severely affected by fertilizer usage.

This brings me again to my outdoor wet season plant. While still pushing out fresh pistils, the buds are starting to look old, swollen, splayed, and beat up. I was thinking and hoping this plant might be a bit different and ripen more evenly. There are now many buds dying. It is obvious that some have insect damage, but some probably from wet weather, and also hail. Yes, the storms have been so intense that we occasionally get hail up here on these mountain tops despite being within 10 degrees of the equator.

Now on to the pictures. They are starting to look over-ripe, except of course for the brand spanking new fresh pistils! Hahaha. I'm considering moving the plant to the greenhouse, but I hate to reduce the UV light it would be getting there. If only it would simply stop flowering.

20240910_084924.jpg

20240910_084934.jpg

20240910_084803.jpg

20240910_084832.jpg

By the way, it is obvious that there are huge differences between growing at 42° north and 10° north. But I also think that there are surprisingly, at least to me, big differences between 20° north and 10° north. I don't have direct knowledge of this, but I've noticed peoples comments and experiences that differ greatly from these different locations.

Best vibes to you all, and this plant!
:smoke:

Mimpi Manis

A little visual "Duck Soup" from Wally's Cookbook. The effects out of my vape with these two I would definitely slip into the trippy pantheon. The Laos cross from season before has had a nice long 12 mth cure in the VacPac. The C5/M is about 3 mths in. I find these to be at the top end go to's and trippy leaning strains in my catalogue. Both in relation to potency and effect. Both have that "time shifting' character. Giving the impression lots of time has passed when its likely been just mere minutes. Perhaps the Laos is a wee bit more on the trippy side if I had to choose? These are fine sativa's indeed. Accolades to the cook.

Attachments

• C5Mango-3MthsCureVacPac-web.jpg
    C5Mango-3MthsCureVacPac-web.jpg
    931.4 KB · Views: 22
  • C5MxLaosVacPac-web.jpg
    C5MxLaosVacPac-web.jpg
    873.8 KB · Views: 20

Mimpi Manis

Are you up in the tropics too @Mimpi Manis? I’ll be running some of Wally’s seeds this season and most looking forward to them.
No Mediterranean in the West. Outdoor. They finish in May here. All the genetic potential is there. You just have to get the basics right and nail it down. The cure being a big part of that. Not too complicated for most part.

Latest posts

Latest posts