What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Real History Of Northern Lights, Written By The Guys Who Did It

Wolverine97

Veteran
IDK, I thought I had that book committed to memory by now, but those pics didn't ring any bells to me. And he said it was from "the Northern Lights book", or something like that.

Rgd

Veteran
15 yrs ago I selfed an extremely good local NL 90’s clone

it was called" the big nordern light”..or

nick name “Earl"

[who could eat 100 egg rolls ]

it was later finish outside than most outdoor..

but when it was done ..all other outdoor was ignored until it was gone

CharlesU Farley

So after all that, I have drawn a few of my own conclusions, some in the latter pages you stated yourself others may be slightly different to yours.

The most relevant bits to me seem to be where we are now and that mostly centres around two offerings in this thread, sensi and the recent NLSG offering to Todd and Matt.

I'm going to totally admit my ignorance here but shouldn't Herbie's Seeds be added to that list? I just know from another thread that someone posted something about Herbie from Seattle, who got the #10 from Hawaii... blah, blah blah. I remember joking about something to the effect of, "... let me guess, you got Herbie's daugher drunk, fucked her and she spilled all the secrets of NL, didn't she?" ;)
I have no direct experience with growing the Sensi strain but second hand info leads me to believe they are not of the same standard they used to be. Whilst they might of had the best seeds and cuts at one point, cuts get lost and seeds need to be worked to stay viable.
Here's my guess on what happened. Sensi made a shit ton of money, Ben turned it over to his son, and things just weren't the same without Nevil. The genetics were the same but the _environment_ and most importantly the _care_ that NL Seattle Greg and Nevil put into nurturing NL went out the window and some minimum wage worker in the NL, watering years old clones, just so they could produce _more_ fucking seeds, to _sell_ more seeds, and the plants degraded and demonstrated the effect of their environment.

But nobody at Sensi ever noticed, or gave a shit, 'cause the cash was rolling in. 💸

I think you agree with this point of view where you said that the latest sensi offerings would need to be worked to find what you want.

Very much so and at this point, I'm not sure could be nursed back to it's former glory. 😥

So this is where we might slightly disagree..? I tend to sway on the side of trusting people rather than doubting (youth eh? 😅), so I am happy to take the story regarding NLSG finding the "#5" seeds at face value and believe that they could infact be Northern Lights #5 from the early 80s.
You don't know how much I _wish_ that were the case. But I'm an empath, and I can tell the difference is NLSG posts on Mr. Nice before and after the "discovery". The early ones were pure, the ones after the discovery hinted of "marketing".

And please understand, I have the _utmost_ fucking respect for the man who created NL but I just don't believe the story. It's too fucking similar to #1... the so called "purest indica: which I know for a fact is complete and utter bullshit. 🧑‍⚖️

I think the key part of this though is what you are trying to show in this thread. Even IF these seeds are what they say they are, that is not what we all knew and enjoyed as Northern Lights. It's essentially a much less worked version of #5 and even if it were to be worked, it still wouldn't take us to where we want to go because #5 was only ever part of the picture of Northern Lights.

Close but the real takeaway from my journey down the Rabbit Hole is #5 was a _plant_, not a seed. Nevil was amazed at the #5 _plant_ he received from NLSG and what it could bring to matching with other varietals. He had other #5 _seeds_ but they didn't measure up, NLSG got wind of him trying to backdoor him with "The Indian" and shut him down from all NL seeds. The shop owned by Steve Murphy got busted, they all went to ground, and any documentation or specific numbered seeds got shitcanned because nobody wanted to do decades in prison for having seeds or printed info of what they actually did.

So both offerings require work. One is essentially the prelude to what we "knew" and the other is the aftermath. The prelude might not get you where you want to go, but it is probably more "pure" (not pure indica, but pure to the NL line). The aftermath in theory could get you there but God knows what has happened to it since.

We'll have to agree to disagree on some of those points. :)

I have some packs of Todd's NL that I will grow out this year. Might also pick up what Sensi has to offer.

I don't have the time to list all my issues with Todd, I've debated on making a massive post exposing his so called "breeding experience" and that's why I got kicked off the RIU site. OS Buds was going to have some "splaining" to do. o_O But karma's a bitch and what comes around, goes around so I've decided not to waste my time taking him down.

That's happening on it's own. :LOL:

As far as Matt Riot, now he's a fucking joke. I have no earthly idea how NLSG got hooked up with him, some Podcast exposure no doubt, but this fuck, who supposedly has all these "mystery cuts" that he'll sell from 1k 💩, is so easily exposed by his posting history. Here's his first post on RIU (so fucking sorry to link to that site):

And in case you think I"m bullshitting (which I doubt but just in case :))

Yeah, I'm gonna trust _that_ guy with my recently discovered NL#5?????????????????????
Thanks again for the great read
It's my passion, just like those Haze Crazies. :eek:

Last edited:

SkyRiderUK

Thank you for that detailed reply Charles, I really appreciate it. I'll have a read of those threads you posted.

Can I ask how you reverse engineered the NL? Where did you start?

CharlesU Farley

Thank you for that detailed reply Charles, I really appreciate it. I'll have a read of those threads you posted.

Can I ask how you reverse engineered the NL? Where did you start?
Thought I did this yesterday... oh well, guess not.:confused:

Basically, it was simple observation. Certain plants just didn't look the same or have the uniformity that makes NL such a foundational varietal of cannabis.

See the Jan 27th entry for more detail:

Last edited:

SurfdOut

Veteran
He told me he gave the seeds to Riot and Todd because he wanted to get the seeds out and figured they had completely different circles of friends. He still is on good terms with Todd but I know he doesnt talk to Matt anymore, I don't think he knew Matt was a certified tool.

He is a nice caring dude, not sure the 80s but he isn't a shiesty guy at all.

Steve Murphy got those seeds from some girl that had been tracking through that region and the Himalayas.

JetLife175

Veteran
He told me he gave the seeds to Riot and Todd because he wanted to get the seeds out and figured they had completely different circles of friends. He still is on good terms with Todd but I know he doesnt talk to Matt anymore, I don't think he knew Matt was a certified tool.

Steve Murphy got those seeds from some girl that had been tracking through that region and the Himalayas.

Ahhhhhhhh.... seems riot is doing his job. From what I understand that's not the story but if you want to spin it that way go right ahead.

CharlesU Farley

He told me he gave the seeds to Riot and Todd because he wanted to get the seeds out and figured they had completely different circles of friends.
That makes sense, just wish he had a chosen more reputable people.:(

He still is on good terms with Todd but I know he doesnt talk to Matt anymore, I don't think he knew Matt was a certified tool.

When you're getting smoke blown up your ass, sometimes it's kind of hard to see clearly. ;)

When I got back online with cannabis fora around 2012, NL Seattle Greg's and Shantibaba's posts stood out as being pure, unlike almost every other poster, who had an agenda or obvious axe to grind.

I can certifiably guarantee this photo that Mr McCormick puts on his website, illustrating his purest indica (and remember how Neville described it and_ the pictures that are in Steve Murphy's book) ain't a pure indica:

1000014604.png

Even a rank amateur, who's only been growing a couple years, would know those are _not_ the leaves of a pure Type II/Indica.

He should have tried passing that off as #5.😂

First time I've heard the story of who Steve Murphy sourced the seeds from, that come from NL Seattle Greg?

SurfdOut

Veteran
Yeah, I enjoy talking history with Greg he is still a bright guy(no dementia) and still smokes a bunch of weed daily. Definitely a hydro guy, grows all his plants inside and out in cinder and makes all his own nutes. Still takes college classes and still learning, he is getting into growing mushrooms now. He has been breeding those Freak Show cannabis plants and still grows NL indoors.

I can give you his phone number, he has got plenty of time and loves to talk or just DM him on IG.

Sanjuro

I can certifiably guarantee this photo that Mr McCormick puts on his website, illustrating his purest indica (and remember how Neville described it and_ the pictures that are in Steve Murphy's book) ain't a pure indica:
The term ‘indica’ refers to plants growing in (western) N India and when it was named Cannabis Indica Kabul/Hindu Kush was part of India. Plants in this region are bld/nld hybrids not pure bld only

CharlesU Farley

I can give you his phone number, he has got plenty of time and loves to talk or just DM him on IG.
Thanks for the offer but he wouldn't know me from Adam and I'm not an IG kind of guy. :)

But I would appreciate you passing along to him the website southeastlights dot org the next time you communicate with him, so he can see what somebody has done with his creation.

And pass along there's a guy in the SouthEast mountains who has much, _much_ respect for him and what he created. ❤️

SurfdOut

Veteran
Any idea why Notso and him separated up?

I personally don't like the type of person that gets deep joy from slinging shit and will admit he is a bit less of an ass than he was and if Fletch and Caleb associate with him now there must be a reason. As far as his association with NL, he got the beans to Caleb and I think that is important. I have listened to his entire podcast library irregardless as there is some good info there.

Latest posts

Latest posts