What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

oldfogey8

Hey folks. Got a question. I’m looking into learning to cultivate some mushrooms. Just looking and it seems to be overwhelming to learn. Does anyone here have personal experience or have some good insight? Maybe they want to share some knowledge? I’ll be a good listener.
My first attempt I used an ‘all-in-one’ grow bag and was pretty happy with the results but have had pretty crappy results since my first grow. As I said in reply to BSBP’s post, Golden Teacher liquid culture worked well for me. Penis Envy liquid culture was more difficult as BSBP said. GT mushrooms are not as strong but were plenty good for me but I only microdose. I can send you links in a private message if you want info on where I got what I had success with.

BumSplodgeBrownPants

I am relatively new to growing them(thank you again for the link to your google library) but had a few successful grows. I did the pressure cooker thing with my jam/mason jars and all was well until fruiting. I may get some more GT liquid culture and another all-in-one bag for the winter as that seems to be the best time for me to grow them(forced hot water heat instead to my air handler/AC moving air around even though I use MERV 13 filters on my AC which is supposed to filter out even mold spores). I had used the ‘Magic for the Masses’ pdf that you have on your google drive for the PF tek method.

My fave strain is the white ones in the pic up there ^^^ called Rusty Whytes. A dude on the Shroomery forum got those going. That place is a wealth of knowledge.

For fruiting cakes, I use a clear shoebox type tub, I like to take the cake from the jar (that goes off for an overnight dunk in water in the fridge, then rolled in moist coco coir... reptile coir not the coir for plants with trichoderma in), flip the jar upside down in the tub, pop an inch or two of water in the bottom of the tub, then the cake goes on the top (the base) of the jar and I either flip another tub unside down on top, or if it's a tall tub, the lid is fine.

That jar up there I popped a ziplock baggie over the top of it, no real need for a tub either with this PF method.

Such a fun hobby, I popped back into the shroomery earlier today and someone asked me about bits on another forum too a short while ago... it must be that time of year!
Mushroom season.

:whee:

BumSplodgeBrownPants

And the beat goes on..................... After replacing the batteries on both cars, I then had to use my key to get into our house because the 9V battery in the digital door lock was low.

Hi GW, I feel your pain there... I'd have probably swore a lot and grumbled... but would be giggling about it now. (I'm high, don't tell anyone though)

Am I allowed to like it with the laughing emoji???

oldmaninbc

420club
He packed his swimmies!
Hello Oldman ,how are you today?
Hope all is well.
Hey there jokerman, I am doing well, feel not too bad considering I was awake half the night. Just washed my last batch of parsley and will nuke it dry soon for freezing. Speaking of freezing had our first frost last night.

They are still working on our community well and the water smells like chlorine again for the second time. They are still finding bacteria etc. in the water. Had a telephone message yesterday from the regional district saying they were going to purge the water mains tomorrow. They warned of particles in the water, tomorrow is my laundry day and I am wondering if my laundry would get stained, have to ponder that.

I will trust that life is being good to you and your home life.

Last parsley of the season
1729715983119.jpeg

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi GW, I feel your pain there... I'd have probably swore a lot and grumbled... but would be giggling about it now. (I'm high, don't tell anyone though)

Am I allowed to like it with the laughing emoji???
I used the SOAB word once and the MF word twice that I remember for sure, but there could have been more.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
My ‘Manute Bol’ plant will be an easy to trim plant. The Heri-Berry has a lot of leaf to it. I tried out my neighbors bowl trimmer while helping her with her plant. It brings down 4 hours of trimming to about a half an hour. Not as purdy as @Putembk ’s buds but the time saver is well worth it.
The buds look better when they are dry too

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Replacing the 12V battery in the Ford EV was a circus. Both getting the old one out and the new one in was a magic act with in itself. It has to tilt and slide in or out on an angle with a interference fit.

Worse, the owner's manual specifies a 96R-500 or 590, which is what I got, but when I finally wiggled and forced the old OEM battery out, it was a 67R and the 96R was too big to fit into the space or box.

So I had to return the 96R-590 and get a 67R-400, that the factory actually put in it..

Last edited:

Yarddog

Hi Yarddog, Feel free to ask away. I;m not an expert, but have been cultivating mushrooms for a while now on and off.

I'd recommend starting with something called PFTek.
Jam jars/small wide mouth masons (for you USA folks) with brown rice flour, vermiculite and water mix, then squirt some spore syringe in there and pop them on a shelf at room temp.
So easy to do.

View attachment 19088486
View attachment 19088488

Do you get jam jars over there?

Anyway, get a feel for how they grow, how clean you can be etc with the small cakes in jars and then you can go to grain and bulk tubs with literally no contamination = less wasted time n money.

These were done in ziplock baggies after grain jars...

DSCF1530.JPG

So easy if you are clean in your methods.
I sure will. Right now I’m just reading. Need to get the grow finished before I add anything else to my to do list.

oldfogey8

My fave strain is the white ones in the pic up there ^^^ called Rusty Whytes. A dude on the Shroomery forum got those going. That place is a wealth of knowledge.

For fruiting cakes, I use a clear shoebox type tub, I like to take the cake from the jar (that goes off for an overnight dunk in water in the fridge, then rolled in moist coco coir... reptile coir not the coir for plants with trichoderma in), flip the jar upside down in the tub, pop an inch or two of water in the bottom of the tub, then the cake goes on the top (the base) of the jar and I either flip another tub unside down on top, or if it's a tall tub, the lid is fine.

That jar up there I popped a ziplock baggie over the top of it, no real need for a tub either with this PF method.

Such a fun hobby, I popped back into the shroomery earlier today and someone asked me about bits on another forum too a short while ago... it must be that time of year!
Mushroom season.

:whee:
I am on shroomery as well but haven’t been there in a while. I actually had a couple of good flushes off of my AIO bag outside a couple years ago once I thought the cake was spent. I just tossed the cake in the woods and put some pine hay over it. They were bigger than the ones I got in the bag. I have a big ‘shoe box’ that doubles as my inoculation chamber. I just tape up the arm holes with micropore tape. Plenty of fresh air exchange. I put a couple inches of perlite in the bottom of it(after sterilizing it in boiling water) and put the cakes on tin foil on top of that. It is a fun hobby with a pretty righteous reward at the end. 😁

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
Hey there jokerman, I am doing well, feel not too bad considering I was awake half the night. Just washed my last batch of parsley and will nuke it dry soon for freezing. Speaking of freezing had our first frost last night.

They are still working on our community well and the water smells like chlorine again for the second time. They are still finding bacteria etc. in the water. Had a telephone message yesterday from the regional district saying they were going to purge the water mains tomorrow. They warned of particles in the water, tomorrow is my laundry day and I am wondering if my laundry would get stained, have to ponder that.

I will trust that life is being good to you and your home life.

Last parsley of the season
View attachment 19088517
Hey old man. I would wait a day on the laundry with particles in the water tomorrow. Hope you get some better sleep tonight 🥰✌️

Goldhedge

She was beautiful. I felt so sorry that she died.
not dead yet... 78

In August 2013, Ronstadt revealed she was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, leaving her unable to sing due to loss of muscular control, which is common to Parkinson's patients. She was diagnosed eight months prior to the announcement and had initially attributed the symptoms she had been experiencing to the aftereffects of shoulder surgery and a tick bite.[174][175] In late 2019, it was reported her doctors had revised their diagnosis to progressive supranuclear palsy, a degenerative disease commonly mistaken for Parkinson's due to the similarity of the symptoms.[25]