What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
What kind of surprises me is that given how much hurricane activity Florida general sees year after year they've not come up with more innovative construction techniques. I've heard that some places are finally getting around to burying phone and power lines after these big storms roll thru and leave people wthout power and communications for extended periods. Which I think is a great idea by why wait so long? I lived in a planed community that was large enough to have it's own zip code. It was built in the 70's and they started with burid utilities and that was in an area that almost never sees a hurricane. I just have never uderstood why these places almost guarenteed to have downed lines have waited so long. Now they have done some good things in making materials more durable so that they can handle debris flying at 200+ mph but it's so they can still build something the looks like a traditional home. I would love to see someone ddo something like a reinforced concrete structure that is domed shaped so that the wind never hits right angles and can just slide up and over it or around it. Maybe with thick concrete or metal walls surronding the property that can be raised and lowered as needed to deal with flooding. That's what I imagined when I was young and hearing about billions in damages every year, often in places still recovering from the previous years damage. Sure I know it would cost a hell of a lot but if in the end you didn't have to keep rebuilding it, wouldn't it be more practical?

Yarddog

What kind of surprises me is that given how much hurricane activity Florida general sees year after year they've not come up with more innovative construction techniques. I've heard that some places are finally getting around to burying phone and power lines after these big storms roll thru and leave people wthout power and communications for extended periods. Which I think is a great idea by why wait so long? I lived in a planed community that was large enough to have it's own zip code. It was built in the 70's and they started with burid utilities and that was in an area that almost never sees a hurricane. I just have never uderstood why these places almost guarenteed to have downed lines have waited so long. Now they have done some good things in making materials more durable so that they can handle debris flying at 200+ mph but it's so they can still build something the looks like a traditional home. I would love to see someone ddo something like a reinforced concrete structure that is domed shaped so that the wind never hits right angles and can just slide up and over it or around it. Maybe with thick concrete or metal walls surronding the property that can be raised and lowered as needed to deal with flooding. That's what I imagined when I was young and hearing about billions in damages every year, often in places still recovering from the previous years damage. Sure I know it would cost a hell of a lot but if in the end you didn't have to keep rebuilding it, wouldn't it be more practical?
Let’s not thing logically. I think for the power utility stuff it comes down to money. They either can’t, or won’t spend the money. Till they have to. Then it takes longer and cost more. People in roles of responsibility tend to shun that responsibility and go after the perks that lured them to that position in the first place.

cola

Good Morning All (OF's):

Wishing each and every one of you, a pleasant morning, wonderful day, and outstanding evening.
I am currently pretty tied up with projects and work, so wanted to start with a daily check in hello.
Today is duly considered a "hump day". So, I hope and trust all of us will get over any big humps!

See you all tomorrow (again)! (y):)

jokerman

Premium user
Good Morning All (OF's):

Wishing each and every one of you, a pleasant morning, wonderful day, and outstanding evening.
I am currently pretty tied up with projects and work, so wanted to start with a daily check in hello.
Today is duly considered a "hump day". So, I hope and trust all of us will get over any big humps!

See you all tomorrow (again)! (y):)
you as well☝️

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good morning brothers and sisters! Hugz all around!
bigarmhug.gif
puffpuffpass_smilie.gif

Cloudy with sprinkles here starting at 51F and predicted to reach 67F.

Gym this morning and then off to Fernhill dog park while the housekeepers hose out the place.

jokerman

Premium user
Good morning brothers and sisters! Hugz all around! View attachment 19081064 View attachment 19081065

Cloudy with sprinkles here starting at 51F and predicted to reach 67F.

Gym this morning and then off to Fernhill dog park while the housekeepers hose out the place.
hopefully there are new butts to sniff for your girl!
Morning GW and to all OF and even not so old OF

Last edited: