What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

Old Uncle Ben

Threw a ham and a pork shoulder on the smoker this morning for supper this afternoon.
Beautiful day today cool,clear and a light breeze.
Should be trimmin but it's too nice outside............ whatever shall I do.
😆

Yummy! What to do? Chill and enjoy the day.

What smoker are you using? I just rigged up this blower to my Hasty Bake Roughneck, a square barrel smoker. Haven't tried it yet but reviews say it will hold temps within 10F. https://www.thermoworks.com/billows/ I collected a lot of smoking wood off my farm - mesquite, oak and pecan.

I use a pellet grill to do stuff like beef jerky. It has a fan only setting so the heat you get is only from a wood packed smoker tube or box. You're basically drying the seasoned sliced Eye of Round with the smoker box and pellet grill fan going.

Smoking cheese is fine too.

Jerky would be great for your wife I would think.

JerkyApril2020#3.jpg

Enjoy....

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Yummy! What to do? Chill and enjoy the day.

What smoker are you using? I just rigged up this blower to my Hasty Bake Roughneck, a square barrel smoker. Haven't tried it yet but reviews say it will hold temps within 10F. https://www.thermoworks.com/billows/

I collected a lot of smoking wood off my farm - mesquite, oak and pecan. I use a pellet grill to do stuff like beef jerky. It has a fan only setting so the heat you get is only from a wood packed smoker tube or box. You're basically drying the seasoned sliced Eye of Round with the smoker box and pellet grill fan going.

Smoking cheese is fine too. View attachment 19067501

Enjoy....
Just a old barrel smoker I have been using.
Only thing holding it together is the grease any more.
I love pecan and oak just get the bark and dust of the pecan first.
I have to have that wood shipped up from Florida not a lot of good wood here for smoking food.
I am considering a new smoker and will probably just build a brick outdoor oven.
Something else that people don't seem to do here.

Old Uncle Ben

I have to have that wood shipped up from Florida not a lot of good wood here for smoking food.
I am considering a new smoker and will probably just build a brick outdoor oven.

I've been through a lot. Trust me, the Roughneck will give you a lot of control and do a lot of proteins, even comes with a rib rack. I bet you'll spend about as much on it as an outdoor oven. Kent Rollins, an old cook for trail cowboys of yesterday and frequently publishing recipes for cool stuff via emails is a hoot. Hasty Bake had a scratch and dent sale over Labor Day. Folks were gaga over their purchases. https://www.hastybake.com/

The Weber Bullet was great but unlike the Roughneck it was a PITA to maintain, load new wood, clean, etc. control the heat. Hasty Bake designs are incredible and this RoughNeck is unreal. One tweek so I can do indirect heat and sear steaks from the lower grate is using a Vortex. It changes my smoker into a sear station and so easy peasy. Check this out. https://vortexbbq.com/

Think I paid $35 for the medium size off Amazon. Best mod so far. Instead of using the huge coal box I load it up half with a 1/2 starter chimney and you're good to go. Last mod after the Billows stick/coal fire control is a rotesserie. Will have to drill some holes in the smoker, etc.

If you're looking for smoking wood the best, free source is from a woodworker, one that does custom cabinets, furniture, etc. My woodworking friend has bags of trims from raw hardwood lumber like mesquite, oak, pecan, hickory. Guys like this would love for you to remove this scrap wood.

oldmaninbc

Good day dogzter,
is it all that sticky stuff you showed on that lovely bud this morning; holding you together?:)

When I worked at the local historic site. We brought in a craftsman for a 3 day workshop on building cob ovens, it was interesting and educational. After the demo model was built we had pizza cooked in it.
I would for sure build my own outdoor oven, if possible.

Zivilpolizist

Veteran
High guys ✌️ how are you all doing?

Just a little update out of my life..
Currently I'm at the hospital after I've gotten my appendix removed.
Last weekend my sister called me for the first time after more than a year to tell me that my toxic mother tried to commit suicide. She also told me that this was her second time failing a try.

Aaaand my car still is at the car workshop after the accident where some idiot fckd my car up almost three weeks ago now.

Despite all that shit currently happening I'm feeling quite well at the moment.
Hope you are doing too ✌️

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
High guys ✌️ how are you all doing?

Just a little update out of my life..
Currently I'm at the hospital after I've gotten my appendix removed.
Last weekend my sister called me for the first time after more than a year to tell me that my toxic mother tried to commit suicide. She also told me that this was her second time failing a try.

Aaaand my car still is at the car workshop after the accident where some idiot fckd my car up almost three weeks ago now.

Despite all that shit currently happening I'm feeling quite well at the moment.
Hope you are doing too ✌️
Wow Ziv, sounds like you are having some back luck even though you are feeling well. Sorry about the family troubles. Get well.