What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
Major truth. I did keep one in my billfold just in case. After awhile I had the same ring in my billfold that guys who chew get that ring in their jeans....skoal brother.....that was over 50 years ago.....
If it looks like this, I would get a new one 😳
IMG_3199.jpeg

I’ve seen that wallet ring more than once…

oldmaninbc

I do, except I wouldn't describe it as breaking up the roots. Rather I call it scoring the root balll which I do on four sides using a utility knife and cutting about .5 to 1 inch deep. I've never noticed any transplant shock doing this but I have noticed the rootball is more spread out throughout the pot when I harvest. With scoring you really only affect the outer most roots which wrap around the rootball when it starts to get root bound. The scoring in my experence just helps the root system to spread out into the unsed soil of the large pot faster and usually results in a spurt of extra growth. you don't always get without scoring. In fact I learned that trick from our own Uncle Ben back on Overgrow and being he's a degreed Botanist he could probably explain why it works better then I can.
When I use to grow outdoors, during the transplant process, I would take a fork and run it down the sides of the root ball to rough it up a bit. We called it tickling the roots. The root system did seem to be more fibrous. With no ill effects. That's why we did it. We would start seeds in 4" ctn, transplant to a gal pot, then to the ground at each transplant stage a light tickling of the roots was done.

I don't seem to do it indoors, not sure why not.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I always keep a rubber in my back pocket, just in case
Was going to say that it was the safe thing to do, but after reading comments, I realize the error in my thinking.
You know there is an expiration date on those things right?🤪
You caused me to think of the Trojan that has been lying in my handkerchief drawer since before I was married this last time, and I decided to check it for an expiration date.

I found that it doesn't have its expiration date printed on it, but it did have the manufacture date of 1976. I wonder if it's still to be trusted?

I put it back in the drawer just in case Grayfox is keeping track.................

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Morning/Afternoon Gypsy. Where have you been. We need you to keep this place under control....Walt and Big have been on a rampage. Walt especially....any advise?
Ahh - just let 'em roll with it - so long as they report their shenanigans here - for us all to have a chuckle or two - I'm sweet with it - just remember to keep to the Marquis of Queensbury rules - no butting - no biting - or giving each other wedgies -

Latest posts

Latest posts