What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Weed ain’t cheap at dispensaries here. I went to one once for the novelty of it. I bought an eighth and a joint for $80. The guy who sold it to me wanted a tip too and seemed bothered that I only flipped him a 5. He wasn’t very chatty or polite so giving him $5 seemed like I over tipped(I tip very well for good service)…
Yeah, I know it can still be pretty pricey in some places. Another part of the problem is how much taxes the government wants combined with the fact that you can't deduct some items from taxes as you can with other businesses because of the legal status on the federal level that combined with the pressures from the black market make it difficult for places to be profitable and offer low prices. It also doesn't help that they couldn't work with banks or accept credit cards. I remember watching a documentary back when Washington state first opened and things were so bad there at first that at least one guy was operating at a loss due to the taxes. He was still holding on though hoping things might improve once the market got more settled and established in the near future. That was several years ago though, so he might have had to shut down. At the time of the documentary he felt he could only hold on for another year if things didn't improve.

Another factor ever since the farm bill of 2018 and someone figuring out how to market THC-A weed legally is that THC-A weed is stealing lots of business because it's technically legal in all 50 states on the federal level and can even be sold legally over the internet. It requires special strain selection and has to be grown under very cool conditions to keep the THC-A from converting to delta 9 THC before the testing process that determines if it meets the criteria to be considered legal. Once you get past that though they can't stop you. Although some states are getting wise and making changes to their laws to make it illegal again. Here in my state prices for recreational are similar to you area but i can go to about a dozen different stores in my town (that aren't dispensaries) and get THC-A weed at about $28 for a quarter ounce.

Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran
You strike me more as a Auntie than a Aunt........beat that crackers ass scraight.
😆

I charge what I want which is $100 a ounce for flower and $20 a gram for full melt or kieff.
I could charge more for both but my conscience bothers me if I do.
I figure the 95% profit margin will do me
Just be nice to be taxed same as any other self employed which is much higher than payroll taxes already.
I get zero write offs for my overhead.
So you never charged more then $100? I remember back when I first started visiting OverGrow.com. Lots of growers were talking about how they could get $400-$600 an ounce. That was back before medical marijuana was as widespread as it is now though and nobody had legal recreational weed.

HempKat

Veteran
Okay, YOU forgot my glasses.

Well someone did I had the glasses for driving in moms glovebox and she didn't grab them before leaving the car at the rental plac even though I texted a reminder that morning
Dude, that's not going to win you any sympathy, instead of depending on your Mom to remember them you should have been on top of that job. I can't imagine going anywhere without my glasses. I mean I can see well enough to get around on foot and know where I'm headed but I can't read anything smaller then a billboard without straining. So the only time my glasses aren't on my face is when I sleep and even then they're nearby so I can put them on when I wake up. Obviously your eyesight isn't as bad as mine and so you don't have to have your glasses on all the time but you should still keep them with you at all times so that you have them when you need them.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good morning brothers and sisters!
bigarmhug.gif
puffpuffpass_smilie.gif

Mostly clear here today starting at 57F and predicted to reach 77F.

Let the good times roll!

oldfogey8

Yeah, I know it can still be pretty pricey in some places. Another part of the problem is how much taxes the government wants combined with the fact that you can't deduct some items from taxes as you can with other businesses because of the legal status on the federal level that combined with the pressures from the black market make it difficult for places to be profitable and offer low prices. It also doesn't help that they couldn't work with banks or accept credit cards. I remember watching a documentary back when Washington state first opened and things were so bad there at first that at least one guy was operating at a loss due to the taxes. He was still holding on though hoping things might improve once the market got more settled and established in the near future. That was several years ago though, so he might have had to shut down. At the time of the documentary he felt he could only hold on for another year if things didn't improve.

Another factor ever since the farm bill of 2018 and someone figuring out how to market THC-A weed legally is that THC-A weed is stealing lots of business because it's technically legal in all 50 states on the federal level and can even be sold legally over the internet. It requires special strain selection and has to be grown under very cool conditions to keep the THC-A from converting to delta 9 THC before the testing process that determines if it meets the criteria to be considered legal. Once you get past that though they can't stop you. Although some states are getting wise and making changes to their laws to make it illegal again. Here in my state prices for recreational are similar to you area but i can go to about a dozen different stores in my town (that aren't dispensaries) and get THC-A weed at about $28 for a quarter ounce.
The dispensary I went to had an ATM in the lounge area because, you guessed it, credit cards are not allowed to be used to purchase weed due to it being illegal federally.

oldfogey8

Well someone did I had the glasses for driving in moms glovebox and she didn't grab them before leaving the car at the rental plac even though I texted a reminder that morning
Oh, ok… That sounds so much better. 😡

So it sounds like your ‘vacation’ was probably that much better for YOU because every time you had to get in the car, your poor mom was reminded that it was her fault that you couldn’t drive(probably stoned out of your mind) because she selfishly thought of herself and forgot your glasses(and likely paid for the rental, all the food, tolls, and gas). I’m seeing a Stockholm Syndrome situation here.☹️

OleReynard

Doobs ya gotta quit depending on your mom.
What'd you say she was 78, come on man grow up and take care of your own responsibilities
What you gonna do when she ain't there for ya anymore, you gonna be able to take care of yourself?