What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
Your not being morbid. I too have been looking. Sounds like you have much more experience than I. I have been looking here -----https://www.weberhausgsd.com/. Are you familiar with this breeder?

I live 1.5hrs from Chicago.

I have to ask you a tough question.

When I got a second dog my female GSD was 11 yrs old and I really think it shortened her life. When she saw the puppy getting all the attention it was hard on her. The vet told me I shouldn't keep walking her because of hip issues and I think that was the last straw. When she saw me leaving every day to walk the puppy it killed her. She died of old age yes, but also a broken heart.

Do you hold any credence into my thoughts or is this just a dog lovers feelings?

I wont get another dog until my male passes on.
I’ve always had two dogs. my last two dogs before the ones I have now were about the same age as we adopted BB just a little younger than our other dog Penny. They lived together for about 10 years. Penny died of cancer at 15 and I like you thought getting a puppy would be hard on BB. BB was 13 years old. We noticed she started slowing way down on the walks but then noticed if she saw another dog walking in front of us, she would pick up pace. I think she was lonely and missed having another dog around. We decided to adopt Mary Jane. I think Maryjane got another year out of our BB just laid back most of the time and watched her do dumb puppy stuff. BB lived another year. Maryjane also learned to chill from old BB too which both of us as seniors appreciated that. I’ve always treated my current dog as pack leader over the new dog. I think it’s best to know we love them most even if that sounds weird. You can’t give all the attention to the new puppy and still need to make your old dog feel special and number one. Now our Maryjane is pack leader to Arlo our giant dumb puppy.
Now maybe that wouldn’t work as well for a dog that has been an “only dog”. I’ve never had just one dog so forget everything I said if that’s the case.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Thank you are you too are a good man and a gentleman.
Not as cranky as some ! ❤️😊

IMG_5804.jpeg

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
Your not being morbid. I too have been looking. Sounds like you have much more experience than I. I have been looking here -----https://www.weberhausgsd.com/. Are you familiar with this breeder?

I live 1.5hrs from Chicago.

I have to ask you a tough question.

When I got a second dog my female GSD was 11 yrs old and I really think it shortened her life. When she saw the puppy getting all the attention it was hard on her. The vet told me I shouldn't keep walking her because of hip issues and I think that was the last straw. When she saw me leaving every day to walk the puppy it killed her. She died of old age yes, but also a broken heart.

Do you hold any credence into my thoughts or is this just a dog lovers feelings?

I wont get another dog until my male passes on.
I am looking at Vom Ragnar kennels but I'm in no rush...I will not bring another puppy into my home until Dutch leaves us...I brought Ivan into the fold almost 2 years ago to keep Dutch company...my last 2 GSD dogs were singular dogs and had no knowledge of pack mentality...for some reason I felt Dutch would benefit from a companion and it has worked well, Ivan loves Dutch so much...I will say that Dutch gets all the love he can deal with and I avoid loving on Ivan when Dutch is nearbye...I'm sure he's jealous at times but the light and joy Ivan has brought into our lives is immense...just recently I have gone out with just Ivan, Dutch is not comfortable jumping into my truck...he seems to accept it and knows he's not able to get around like he used to...I just had to steady him while he finished his dinner tonight...as long as you love on the older dog more than ever he will be acceptable to company...at least that's how I see it...Dutch couldn't trot out back along side of the 4x4 but when Ivan showed up he began to...he still trots out with me when I feed the livestock...Ivan runs ahead but circles around constantly...I believe you're being too hard on yourself...Dutch has accepted Ivan as the lay beside each other at bedtime...I don't know that your dog died of a broken heart and hope you come to terms with her passing...Ivan has given Dutch life, spirit, and companionship...as he has me...

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
when you're the best the world comes knocking on your door...Dutch is an El Divo GSD, many world champions come for that kennel in Greece...Eddie Astopopilis bred Dutch for his next champion until he met me and felt the need I had for the best out there...there's a handful of excellent breeders but unfortunately many are puppy mills that are in it for the money...

hamstring

Veteran
I’ve always had two dogs. my last two dogs before the ones I have now were about the same age as we adopted BB just a little younger than our other dog Penny. They lived together for about 10 years. Penny died of cancer at 15 and I like you thought getting a puppy would be hard on BB. BB was 13 years old. We noticed she started slowing way down on the walks but then noticed if she saw another dog walking in front of us, she would pick up pace. I think she was lonely and missed having another dog around. We decided to adopt Mary Jane. I think Maryjane got another year out of our BB just laid back most of the time and watched her do dumb puppy stuff. BB lived another year. Maryjane also learned to chill from old BB too which both of us as seniors appreciated that. I’ve always treated my current dog as pack leader over the new dog. I think it’s best to know we love them most even if that sounds weird. You can’t give all the attention to the new puppy and still need to make your old dog feel special and number one. Now our Maryjane is pack leader to Arlo our giant dumb puppy.
Now maybe that wouldn’t work as well for a dog that has been an “only dog”. I’ve never had just one dog so forget everything I said if that’s the case.

Great reply fellow dog lover. Much respect for the thoughts and feeling you put into it. I know a pet lover when I hear one.

My first GSD was the "only" dog for 11 yrs and I believe she was't able to cope physically, do to age, or mentally.

I think everything else you said is true because when we got our 2nd GSD our beauceron was 4yrs. She hated our GSD until they day she died. Hate is a strong word but she was not a fan.

My GSD on the other hand loved my beauceron more than my wife or I by a long shot. When my beauceron died my GSD was heart broken. I have always said my GSD is the great dog he is because of the lessons he learned from my beauceron.

hamstring

Veteran
I am looking at Vom Ragnar kennels but I'm in no rush...I will not bring another puppy into my home until Dutch leaves us...I brought Ivan into the fold almost 2 years ago to keep Dutch company...my last 2 GSD dogs were singular dogs and had no knowledge of pack mentality...for some reason I felt Dutch would benefit from a companion and it has worked well, Ivan loves Dutch so much...I will say that Dutch gets all the love he can deal with and I avoid loving on Ivan when Dutch is nearbye...I'm sure he's jealous at times but the light and joy Ivan has brought into our lives is immense...just recently I have gone out with just Ivan, Dutch is not comfortable jumping into my truck...he seems to accept it and knows he's not able to get around like he used to...I just had to steady him while he finished his dinner tonight...as long as you love on the older dog more than ever he will be acceptable to company...at least that's how I see it...Dutch couldn't trot out back along side of the 4x4 but when Ivan showed up he began to...he still trots out with me when I feed the livestock...Ivan runs ahead but circles around constantly...I believe you're being too hard on yourself...Dutch has accepted Ivan as the lay beside each other at bedtime...I don't know that your dog died of a broken heart and hope you come to terms with her passing...Ivan has given Dutch life, spirit, and companionship...as he has me...
Thats pure poetry right there my brother.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Great reply fellow dog lover. Much respect for the thoughts and feeling you put into it. I know a pet lover when I hear one.

My first GSD was the "only" dog for 11 yrs and I believe she was't able to cope physically, do to age, or mentally.

I think everything else you said is true because when we got our 2nd GSD our beauceron was 4yrs. She hated our GSD until they day she died. Hate is a strong word but she was not a fan.

My GSD on the other hand loved my beauceron more than my wife or I by a long shot. When my beauceron died my GSD was heart broken. I have always said my GSD is the great dog he is because of the lessons he learned from my beauceron.

Beauceron , had to look that breed up

This old French breed may look like a cross between a German Shepherd and a Doberman Pinscher or Rottweiler, but it is most definitely purebred! I've owned Beaucerons myself.

This is a confident, steady-tempered, usually serious dog.

Athletic and agile, he needs hard exercise (running, hiking, fetching). A walk around the block is most assuredly not enough. Too much confinement and too little exercise can lead to destructive behaviors and rambunctiousness, especially in youngsters.

Mental exercise (advanced obedience, agility, herding, Schutzhund) is just as important to this highly intelligent breed.

Matching his stern appearance, the Beauceron is usually keen-eyed and watchful, aloof and discriminating with strangers. Socialization must be early and frequent so that his watchfulness doesn't shade into suspiciousness or aggression. Shyness is unfortunately present in some lines.

Most Beaucerons are territorial with other animals, but usually good with the pets in their own family, if raised with them.

Beaucerons were bred to be herding dogs, so they might try to poke or push people and other animals – this is an attempt to move them along or gather them together.

Indeed, Beaucerons like to control everyone and everything. They require a confident, consistent owner who knows how to lead.