What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good morning brothers and sisters! Hugz all around, passing left!
bigarmhug.gif
Cup-pipe.jpg

Cloudy here starting at 46F and predicted to reach 65F.

The 3# pot of 15 bean with bacon soup turned out splendid, with several tubs frozen for later.

Gym this morning and then back on our heads!

jokerman

Premium user
It was October and the Indians on a remote reservation asked their new Chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild. Since he was a Chief in a modern society he had never been taught the old secrets. When he looked at the sky he couldn't tell what the winter was going to be like. Nevertheless, to be on the safe side he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared. But being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, "Is the coming winter going to be cold?" "It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold," the meteorologist at the weather service responded. So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared. A week later he called the National Weather Service again. "Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?" "Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter." The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find. Two weeks later the Chief called the National Weather Service again. "Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?" "Absolutely," the man replied. "It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters ever." "How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked. The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting firewood like crazy."

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Thass OK.

The difference is this:

In your mind, the words flow easily because the concepts as written are your actual memories -- and they are alive in a way, and in the story as you read it. So the story flows. Without a break.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That above is absolutely what you should write if you wish to always remember it well.

But it is difficult for anyone to read a twenty-line paragraph with no punctuation except dashes used in multiple ways. The reader zones out.

There is nothing wrong with the manuscript at all, if it is to be a memoir written only for yourself. <-- Fact. Your descriptions are very good art. I could picture the stairway in more senses than eyes. I could see the slightly open door and feel your hesitation -- stranger in a strange land. <-- That is art.

I'll just say it: Your punctuation is abysmal. Your writing is superb. Your storyline is horrible. No fair bringing something up and saying, "Come back later and find out." <-- The reader will forget or miss that, or not make any connection whatsoever to what was going the farg on in Greece... Were you a bouncer? Local heavy?

Why and how did you leave Greece essentially broke? And why, of all the fargin places on earth a white dude could wind up where human souls go to die, MANILA ??? Why not England? Ireland? Canuckistan? USA? Jamaica? They all speak English.

We really want to know. From you, we know it would be really entertaining... Providing you either read it aloud or somebody edits it.

I'd recommend you write it all, then look up a local editor. Their rates would be worth it.

But no matter what -- keep writing.

DEEP EDIT SAMPLE FROM AN EDITOR: The beautiful stewardess who gave you seconds. Any editor at all would put your pingles to the the keyboard and demand the scene to be written out. What did she look like? What was she wearing that made her so alluring? Scent? Footwear? What did she bring you to eat? What words were spoken? What did the islands look like from your seat? Get us in the airplane... as a start.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
You may think I am pulling the long bow, here. Lemme tell you about the merciless bastage that edited/mentored me.

The opening scene/words in my novel, "The Cadet -- The Adventures of a New World Pioneer in the 17th Century" had the title character being introduced as a child. He is told by a local guard to go get him some ale.

Yeah. Right. My brutal editor wrote:

"They did not serve ale in the Duchy of Oldenberg in 1615. Find out what they sold. And find out the cost."

A mere five fargin days research, and the first chapter was retitled to "Cider and Sunshine". The cider cost two Munchen coppers. And in an attempt to impress my evil editor-mentor, I added that the tankards that went outside were the cruder wooden type rather than the leathern ones.

That got me off of PAGE fargin ONE. The novel is that historically accurate from page 1 to page 462.
"Ahh I know - let me take you all way back to Hong Kong - in the early 1980's - where I found myself - after being hired as a 'Minder' (close protection security guy) by a Californian property developer named John Crooks in Crete - the Mediterranean island - I ended up in Hong Kong via Thailand a few months later - almost broke financially - and kinda desperate - because of a scene in Bangkok which I will elaborate on later -

Being almost broke in Thailand - my last $100 bill went on an economy flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong - where I hoped to find some work - to make some money to survive on - and arriving at Kai Tak airport on Kowloon - I checked what funds I had - and I was down to just $40 u.s.d. - which was all I had to my name at that time - so neccesity being the Mother of invention - this Gypsy had to come up with some sort of financial plan ASAP! "

That was the opening gambit of the piece Walt - the intention was to leave a hook - to a scene in Bangkok that led to me having to flee/go to Hong-Kong - so barely mentioning any reason why exactly I ended up in Hong-Kong - by just saying that I would 'elaborate on it later' - so I will insert that little story about Bangkok - and why/how I ended up skint (broke) - a little later on in the Hong-Kong Smugg'lin Story - it's currently a mystery - until I reveal the full story - as a later insert - and people like mysterys - so I thought that I would start the story with that - explaining it all further into the book - and even before Bangkok - on Crete -

I get what you mean about being historically accurate too - but since 1984 ain't so far back - I just have to remember the technology - the music - the clothing/styles and names of clubs - shops and restaurants - amongst other details - and I do remember alot of it like it was yesterday most of the time - smaller details like what times planes took off and when they landed seem awkward to remember - but overall - I've been quite shocked at how well my memory has been working on this -

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ya - and point taken about my abysmal punctuation - as I said before - it's minimal - but easier for me to get into the flow of writing - with big fingers - on a small smartphone keyboard generally - this way -
Communication is a concept transmitted and the same concept received.

I thought my punctuation was pretty good, but early on had a secretary who always typed it up from my hand written notes.

Fortunately I took typing in high school, so when we got our own computers at work, I started typing my own memos and papers, et al, and I put out tons.

Then came along spell and punctuation check, and I found out just how bad my spelling and punctuation is. As I try to sort out what I'm missing on punctuation, I find that when stoned I can't spell either.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is that what you call a Harlequin German Shepherd - or just photoshop?
Not sure what it's called, but I got the picture off of a German Shepherd Lovers site, which is where most of the GS pictures that I post other than my own come from. It was posted as real.

I was thinking that if you could reliably reproduce those genetics, without diminishing any of the German Shepherds superpowers, that you could command a fetching price for pups.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I come to realize watching YT videos ,the world is in desperate need of striper pole contractors.
The gym where I exercise changed ownership and the new owners are young former employees. They added a third dressing room for the alphabet of third gender(s), and a pole for pole dancing, but alas they haven't contracted a suitable instructor.

Any interest yourself or can you recommend anyone with experience that I can send their way?

jokerman

Premium user

The gym where I exercise changed ownership and the new owners are young former employees. They added a third dressing room for the alphabet of third gender(s), and a pole for pole dancing, but alas they haven't contracted a suitable instructor.

Any interest yourself or can you recommend anyone with experience that I can send their way?
give me a minute☝️