What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
sorry to hear you are having those problems furry wall. i let most of my friends run norcal blend last season before i decided to go all in with them, so i was able to learn a few things to prepare for this year.

main thing is, you are buying it for the soil biology and micro herd he puts into it. it makes an excellent organic base. dave royal makes it a point to not add a lot of manures and other high strength amendments. the norcal blend definitely is NOT turnkey and ready to go, it needs added N through veg for sure.

thats weird that dave said no PPD, because he constantly preaches foliar application for nutrients. we do at least 2x a week foliars and the plants could still probably take more. we talked about PPD and he said its only bad if you overuse it and the plant becomes less root dominant, aka the plants veg growth outpaces its roots which i think is damn near impossible to do in mounds because the roots shoot far out and keep going…

keep up the PPD, cal25, and all that other good stuff. I've also had to bust out the magic green and verde for the gorilla glues, no matter how much N i hit them with they keep wanting more…

also we amended the norcal blend hard with alfalfa meal, fish meal, kelp meal, high N guano, glacial rock dust and EWC, soaked it all in and let it sit for 1-2 months prior to planting. i can't imagine having to grow full season in norcal blend without adding anything, the plants would most definitely starve out. We've also added two top dressings of more amendment in the past month as well as rich compost teas…and the plants look like they just want more more more…. I'm not sure where this preconception that it was ready to go as is came from…its simply a good base from which an organic farmer can add his own favorite amendments and build season after season. Everybody has their own method, i got friends who amend hard with horse and chicken manure and grow huge plants, but personally i dont use any manure.

also fwiw, i did a 50/50 norcal blend/ vermifire blend on 4 mounds this season and the seeds i got going in there are crazy dark green and healthy, much darker color than the rest of mounds.

L

Luther Burbank

Question for the foliar squad. I've been using a 2-4-2 fish fertilizer for my foliars. Noticing some gnarly purpling on leaf tips from what I assume is P overdoses. The old brix mix used Phytamin which is 4-2-4. Wondering if the phytamim wouldn't be a better bet over the 2-4-2 nature's harvest.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
New patch

New patch

I made a new garden this year, it's a 10' x 60 ' mound and has 4 plants.

The soil was NorCal blend ...I didn't add any extra amendments , top dressing or conventional commercial fertilizer.

The majority of fertilization is via foliar. I root drench once a month ...

The photos are about a month a part.

Pretty much as set and forget as it gets. The only way it'd be better is if I had an irrigation system I could control from my ipad... Soon come..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 25

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
One photo per post I guess when you directly attach them?

If you need to add N , you could always just use something like this

http://bloomingblossoms.com

The air has all the N you should ever need.

Stuff like PPD and ferti nitro have such a high n % because of the protein content ...

It isn't the same as calcium nitrate 15-0-0 with ca ...

I think furry just needs more biology, and some other stuff.

:tiphat:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 28

Meds215

Black Water Kush (Mendo Purps x SFV OG)
20140713_190118_Richtone_HDR.jpg

Regulator Kush(Reversed Bubba x AJ's Sour D x SFV OG)
20140713_190140_Richtone_HDR.jpg

Nevada City OG (I can find out what it is tomorrow)
20140713_190155_Richtone_HDR.jpg

Candyland (Bay Platinum Cookies x Grand Daddy Purple)
20140713_190213_Richtone_HDR.jpg

Meds215

Moolah (Og kush x Belladonna x Sensi star)
20140713_193536_Richtone_HDR.jpg

20140713_193546_Richtone_HDR.jpg

its funny because in person to me the plants look huge and once i see them on here they look small, go figure.

ill take pics from the other gardens this week, Blueberry Diesel, Blueberry Cheese, UK Cheese and White Widow

Last edited:
Got my aea products 2 days ago and it's safe to say my babies will be on the bottle program for now on. Positive Results were noticed within hours of feeding nearly the entire line at 1/3rd strength. Got all their products for $500 it's looking like I'm gonna get serious bang for my buck. Plants look extremely healthy.

Reamending my Mendo mix with reamendo, brand new product from royal gold. One $700 tote does 50 yards of soil, just has to compost for a week. Working like a dog to get my full season gh planted. Also ewsf is a rip off .

calientecarlos

Veteran
My first and meow for sure only foliar for the season, lastnight, got rinsed right off this mornin with the welcoming of the monsoon. If thats not a sign to leave em the flock of geese alone I don't know what is..

picture.php

wiseman once said many way to skin cat i'd just rather spend my time n money on mo pussy!!!

get off the bottle...

cheezhead

My first and meow for sure only foliar for the season, lastnight, got rinsed right off this mornin with the welcoming of the monsoon. If thats not a sign to leave em the flock of geese alone I don't know what is..

Cheers to growing in the Desert Calientecarlos...been there done that! It's a tuff battle with the heat. Ladies faired well through the monsoon. Looking good for having temps that average 100+ daytime and only dipping into the high 80's (if you're lucky) at night...Props!

Meds215

Looking Good, bro.

What nutrients are you using?

Endur

Right now there only getting Mr B's Green Tree's grow, ive been giving them one cup a week but i might go up to 2 cups im using the organic 7-4-4. I might run out of mr bs and then i will switch to general organics for the remainder of veg. there getting there vermi tea friday now that I bought a pallet of 44 gal garbage cans it will be easier to distribute tea. I had my first big ouch the other day 2 of my truths tipped all the way over mesh cage and all my 2 biggest plants÷!! I think they'll live but real bummer. Next year I'm staking all my re mesh cages. Excuse my typing cell phone status

calientecarlos

Veteran
Thx Cheez!! They grow some of, if not the worlds best sweet corn and peaches, up the way from me it was a no brainer.. hot day cool night is prime time for sug production n I love the icky.. Salud!! Best wishes!!

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
Right now there only getting Mr B's Green Tree's grow, ive been giving them one cup a week but i might go up to 2 cups im using the organic 7-4-4. I might run out of mr bs and then i will switch to general organics for the remainder of veg. there getting there vermi tea friday now that I bought a pallet of 44 gal garbage cans it will be easier to distribute tea. I had my first big ouch the other day 2 of my truths tipped all the way over mesh cage and all my 2 biggest plants÷!! I think they'll live but real bummer. Next year I'm staking all my re mesh cages. Excuse my typing cell phone status

Man I wish I had seen your thread earlier !

If you read my posts you'll see where I talk about having plants ripped out of the ground cage and all, because the remesh wasn't secure to the ground!

I hope they survive ! If they don't, replant with 4 smaller plants!

Got my aea products 2 days ago and it's safe to say my babies will be on the bottle program for now on. Positive Results were noticed within hours of feeding nearly the entire line at 1/3rd strength. Got all their products for $500 it's looking like I'm gonna get serious bang for my buck. Plants look extremely healthy.

Glad you tried it for yourself.

M

mr.shiva

If one doesn't work, try 4 ... Definitely my style this year. I just started with 4 per right off the bat :) lots of "sea" growmore and sea trash of all kinds in the feed.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
LoL sea grow more ...! Growing more with the power of the Sea ! And the trash of the cannery industry ! Boom Bap ! Closed loop not just for BHO ... But for our fertilizers too! recycle!

Status
Not open for further replies.