What's new

The classiest coffeeshop in Amsterdam?

TommyT

ICMag Donor
1 e hulp at Marnixstraat is a good one too...nice oriental interiuer...and very good menu!!! :)

Last edited:

GlandualFever

Boerejongens (Old Coffeshop Stix) is THE classiest establishment I have seen so far. The budtender had a friggin white shirt and bow tie on ffs. But you cant smoke here, just buy.

TBH most coffeeshops are as "Ghetto" as each other in one way or another, so cant really say that there is a single "classy" coffeeshop". I did however find Barneys Lounge quite clean, functional, uncluttered, cosy, and good air extraction. Sorry Im a smoker but even I cant stand being in a room that has more smoke than air in! Plus its far enough from the centre to shake off the dick heads!

Skip

Veteran
The classiest place I ever found was this bulldog lounge (not sure if it's still there), on Spuistraat 7.
I really hate the bulldog, but this place was real classy. At the time there was nothing like it in A'dam.
It's all quality wood and leather.
Just don't misbehave, as they'll yell at you!
Read more here:
http://www.hiptravelguide.com/guides/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=398&site=1

bulldog1.jpg

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
I LOVED the bluebird, had some killer weed too.
Also when I was doing a little exploration with my bike I found the "coffeeshop 137" at the Brouwersgracht 137. Found it on google maps, took a screenshot of it and the location:
View Image

Also they have a webpage, http://www.coffeeshop137.com/.
The coffeeshop is by far the cleanest and the most comfy I've found. Definitly check it out. Had some AMAZING diesel aswell - and they have a RooR bong for client use :)

super that you found the coffeeshop 137,

137:tiphat: is a discrete, clean, modern and friendly shop with a 'mostly local' customer base, right on the Brauwersgracht Canal. they even have a few seats outside for some fresh air.

TEST

Last edited by a moderator:

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
anywhere else that you know of where you can sit outside and smoke?
it is a shame to be stuck indoors on a sunny day.

we found Coffeeshop 'Relax' on a side street off Haarlemerstraat, on our last visit.
although it would not be considered classy, (can't flush the toilet),
it was bright (with lots of windows),
comfortable (long wooden benches)
and well....relaxed. :)

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
Homegrown Fantasy is ok place...a friendly feel.

Homegrown Fantasy Coffeeshop was closed the last few visits.
Not sure if it is just being renovated.

I also saw that Abraxis had a reopening party recently. Any news?

MountZionCollec

I lived in Maastricht Netherlands (way south tip of country) for 6 months in 2010 and IF they are still allowing foreigners into coffeeshops (they stopped for a period) I highly recommend you go to "heaven" which is by far the "classiest" coffeeshop I ever went too. Zen like atmosphere. In the upstairs they open the roof on nice days.

My other favorite coffeeshop in Maastricht is "cool running" located just down the street from heaven. It is the opposite of classy :). The main floor that you enter into is nothing crazy, but the second you head down the stairs it gets very roots. Reggae music, walls covered in writings, comfortable couches, chess and checkers and lots of chill people from all over the world...on more then one occasion I spent 6+ hours here alone or with friends...the seating is set up in 4 small communal areas (2 couches and table in between) so if your there alone or only with one person expect to share seating with people.

The dutch motto of "acting normal is crazy enough" applies. Be chill in the coffee shops. Dont be loud and don't be obnoxious, you will look like a fool. If you try to stand out, which is about as American as apple pie, no Europeans will like or respect you. The same applies when "attempting" to pick up European girls, American ways of picking up just dont apply at ALL unless the girl is German and Drunk (or of any English speaking Nationality and drunk). It was truly painful watching not one of my fellow 15 or so American travelers get with ONE European girl (non prostitute that is), it was sure funny watching them try though lol.

Also in Maastricht they used to sell, and prolly still do, Magic truffles (like mushrooms) at the head shops. Very close to cool running is a shop that sells them. Their is a hill just outside maastricht, eat the truffles as you start the journey!

PS: if you are looking for pipes/pieces the headshop that sells the magic truffles near cool running sells amazing pieces for dirt cheap. 1/3-1/4 the price of what you'll find in Amsterdam.

The city is located about 3 hour train ride from Amsterdam, dont remember it being very expensive trip.

Their are also some other cool small cities outside around Amsterdam, but my favorite is city and favorite coffeshops are Maastricht.

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
* A note on quality , for you homegrowers. supplying one self with uber dank is fairly easy,.
However could you produce enough to sell to 40-50 people everyday, month after month?
*some of the busier shops sell to 40+ people an hour.
Remember its still illegal to grow cannabis commercially in Holland.

found this in the archives :friends:

still holds true today wise old man. lol

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
are they still allowing foreigners into coffeeshops

The dutch motto of "acting normal is crazy enough" applies. Be chill in the coffee shops. Dont be loud and don't be obnoxious, you will look like a fool. If you try to stand out, which is about as American as apple pie, no Europeans will like or respect you.

i honestly have only seen people who are obviously under 30 being asked for ID in Amsterdam in the last years. they are definitely more strict about being of legal age.
nobody that i know of has ever been turned away in an Amsterdam shop because they are a tourist.

they also seem insist that everyone take off their hats. not sure why.

what i have heard is that the boarder cities are much more likely to ask for Dutch ID to avoid cross boarder shoppers. hope that helps:tiphat:

@ mount zion collective
thanks for your wise insight into the 'loud american' syndrome.

i have to add that this is the only city in the world where some of us feel like we fit in.
whether you are a loud laughing north american or quiet stoner sitting in the corner, it shouldn't matter.
live and let live...
one thing good about reaching middle age is that you start to not really give a 'flying fart' what people think about you. enjoy it!

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
The classiest place I ever found was this bulldog lounge (not sure if it's still there), on Spuistraat 7.
I really hate the bulldog, but this place was real classy. At the time there was nothing like it in A'dam.
It's all quality wood and leather.
Just don't misbehave, as they'll yell at you!
Read more here...

View Image

I read the link to this Bulldog and they talk more about the bad attitude bud bouncer,
This I gotta see!

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
some lovely pics Jahnice :)

The thing with the hats... it's because they want to be able to identify you from your ears in the event that cctv has to be looked at ... or at least, that's what they told me when I asked :)

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
:thank you: mr. shoes

that makes sense.
oh yah, reminds me to mention that most shops have a video security system,
especially at the 'bud bar'.

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Homegrown Fantasy Coffeeshop was closed the last few visits.
Not sure if it is just being renovated.

I also saw that Abraxis had a reopening party recently. Any news?

Homegrown Fantasy was closed in the last wave of coffeeshop closures, by the justice department, for being to close to a school. Sadly, it is no longer.

Abraxas has reopened after a 5 week closure cause an employee had hard drugs (coke) in her possession. They fought to reopen because it was not their fault that the employee had drugs on her.

Latest posts

Latest posts