What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Bread thread

Timj

Thanks. I should've cooked them a little hotter to get better color, but they're really good. I realized I hadn't had a good bagel in years.
I really like the look of those black and white sesame seeds. Do the black seeds have a different flavor?

dramamine

I really like the look of those black and white sesame seeds. Do the black seeds have a different flavor?
They do have a lot deeper, nuttier sesame flavor, especially once they're toasted. I buy them by the pound and use them a lot.

Timj

They do have a lot deeper, nuttier sesame flavor, especially once they're toasted. I buy them by the pound and use them a lot.
Thanks for the description of their taste. I used toasted and plain white. I've never tried the black ones.

Timj

Has anyone ever tried baking bread on a gas grill. I'll be baking a sourdough tonight on my Weber grill. I'm going to place it directly on my pizza stone and hope for the best. I may add a small steel bowl of water with it and spray it once when closing the grill cover. I'll post a picture even if it fails.

Timj

Well folks, I had a stoner moment and at my expense we will all have a laugh. I put the bread on the grill and all was going well. Then I started watching a YouTube video with the headphones on. I didn't hear the alarm to take the bread off. So, here is my first burnt to a crisp grill bread. I'll give it another try tomorrow. I also cut into it to show the crumb because I won't be eating this.
20240825_223135.jpg
20240825_223350.jpg

dramamine

The crumb on that looks great. Nice and custardy. I haven't ever tried bread on a grill, but I've grilled pizza and that came out great. Looking forward to seeing your second try.

Timj

The crumb on that looks great. Nice and custardy. I haven't ever tried bread on a grill, but I've grilled pizza and that came out great. Looking forward to seeing your second try.
Thanks dramamine. I make pizza on the grill about once a week. I just got distracted tonight.

dramamine

Thanks dramamine. I make pizza on the grill about once a week. I just got distracted tonight.
Oh cool. Do you use the stone for pizza on the grill too? I did it right on the grill rack and was kind of surprised it didn't stick or anything. It makes a lot of sense to use the grill rather than preheating the oven and all, especially in the summer. Plus, the more heat the better, right? I need to start grilling more pizza.

Timj

Oh cool. Do you use the stone for pizza on the grill too? I did it right on the grill rack and was kind of surprised it didn't stick or anything. It makes a lot of sense to use the grill rather than preheating the oven and all, especially in the summer. Plus, the more heat the better, right? I need to start grilling more pizza.
I purchased a Charbroil pizza stone for my grill about 7 years ago from Lowes. It also came with a wooden peel.

Timj

I believe my temperature for the bread was to high at around 500 degrees. I'll make sure I'm around 400-425 degrees today. I also didn't score my bread deep enough for the quicker oven spring of the grill so I'll adjust that too. My dough just came out of the fridge, so it will be a while before it bulk rises and then I form the loaf and set the crumb. I'll probably bake it around 5-6pm.

Timj

My sourdough was slow to bulk rise. But, I did successfully bake a loaf on the gas grill. I still need to tweak a few things to get a nicer looking loaf. But, baking bread on a gas grill can be done. The first sourdough of the year is always the best tasting too.
20240826_224347.jpg
20240826_224508.jpg

EnjoyingLife

My sourdough was slow to bulk rise. But, I did successfully bake a loaf on the gas grill. I still need to tweak a few things to get a nicer looking loaf. But, baking bread on a gas grill can be done. The first sourdough of the year is always the best tasting too. View attachment 19054929 View attachment 19054930
I can't like this as the button doesn't exist but props!
The first loaf looked fine to me - I'd eat the whole inside no problem. There was some burn on the inside but it just looked like toast to me. Bread that's already toasted sounds good to me.
This one one looks like it can be enjoyed as a whole vs just the inside though =]

dramamine

That loaf off the grill looks great, Timj. Were you able to keep a pretty steady temp going? Doesn't look like you should change much. Nice loaf.

Timj

I can't like this as the button doesn't exist but props!
The first loaf looked fine to me - I'd eat the whole inside no problem. There was some burn on the inside but it just looked like toast to me. Bread that's already toasted sounds good to me.
This one one looks like it can be enjoyed as a whole vs just the inside though =]
Thank you @EnjoyingLife. This one was better. I think with a few more loaves to practice on.. I'll have the process figured out.

Timj

That loaf off the grill looks great, Timj. Were you able to keep a pretty steady temp going? Doesn't look like you should change much. Nice loaf.
Thanks @dramamine. It's still not up to my standards. But, it is edible and looks ok. I have a small Weber Spirit e-210 grill and it keeps the temperature pretty consistent.

Latest posts

Latest posts