What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related

weregild

I just finished dune. While i'm not necessarily into the "mystic" aspects of it, the book was as good as the hype. I enjoyed it immensely.

I'm currently reading a book called "the most fun i never want to have again", which is a book written by a small-time community banker who went bust in 2008. I'm not very far into it yet but I'm hopeful it will be good, finance has always been arcane/interesting to me.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Growing up as I did watching James Bond movies, it is no surprise that Tom Clancy's novels are favorites of mine. To reel off a few titles, Patriot Games, Debt of Honor, The Sum of All Fears, Clear and Present Danger, and Without Remorse, all list among the Tom Clancy page-turners that I have read over the years.

I couldn't get into the OP Center series of Tom Clancy books, because those were apparently written by other people licensed to do so by the Tom Clancy estate, and frankly, read like dense and overly detailed military hardware instruction manuals, in many cases.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have been reading books about the early pot daze and satisfying America's demand by importing foreign dope.

Smuggler's Blues
Mr. Nice

What is standing out to me is what a bunch of assholes American's have been in this endeavor. Not the guys doing the work, but the f'in guvernment pricks. Why the F is there a lawless CIA anyways?

This war on drugs has ruined American reputation in the world, and taken a lot of genetics away. Forever. In my lifetime this country sure has made an impact on the Earth, and it isn't all pretty. I wholly blame the bankers.

So happy Independance day. Damn British bankers still own our asses. Special relationship... watch randy andy walk, and that maxwell woman suicide.

Green Squall

I have been reading books about the early pot daze and satisfying America's demand by importing foreign dope.

Smuggler's Blues
Mr. Nice

I've read a lot of those over the years. I few that come to mind are:

Thaistick: Surfers, Scammers and the Untold Story of the Cannabis trade.

High Wind: Memoirs of a Marijuana Mule

The Bandit of Kabul: Counterculture Along the Hashish Trail and Beyond.

Road to Kathmandu

Jackpot

Deep Water: From the Swim team to Drug Smuggling.

And not a book, but here is a blog about a couples travels on the hippy trail that I highly recommend
https://anarcholoco.wordpress.com/introduction/

Green Squall

Pearls, Arms and Hashish: Pages from the Life of a Red Sea Navigator

By Henri de Monfreid

First published in 1930, this is the personal adventure narrative of Henri de Monfreid—nobleman, writer, adventurer and inspiration for the swashbuckling gun runner in the Adventures of Tintin.

“Henri de Monfried satisfies the most exacting reader. One is never for a moment suspicious that his amanuensis is crediting him with words he could not use or thoughts he would not entertain. The impression conveyed by Ida Treat's really superb rendering of the French searover's story is that M. de Monfried could write very well indeed if he thought it worthwhile, but that he expresses himself as a rule in other ways.

“Briefly, Henri de Monfried is the son of a Bostonian artist of French descent who lived in the south of France and married a French peasant girl. The boy grew up and tried various callings, but finally yielded to a Wanderlust which took him to French Somaliland, at the southern end of the Red Sea. He became a Moslem and engaged in pearling, gunrunning, slaving, and the smuggling of hashish into Egypt. He has a family. He is fifty years old. The Arabs call him Abd el Hai. This book is what he calls the first half of his life. He is too interested in life itself to take consolation in memoirs as yet. The British navy calls him the Sea Wolf. He makes a hobby of raising the French flag on islands inconveniently near to British coaling stations.

Youngandfree

I am studying and I have been preparing essays in the past few months. I am reading books like Ape House (reading and analyzing it again because I remember reading when I was a teenager). I remember I really liked this book as a teen, and now that I am working on it, I am loving it even more. I am trying to develop some essays for the university too, with a small help . I really recommend this book if you like nature and animals, a very deep story.

Last edited by a moderator:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Roger Reaves' memoir "Smuggler". Classic case of not quitting, while the quitting was good. Interesting how he learned to read the signs, yet was blind to the heat. IMO. He wrote an interesting perspective on snitches, in that they find a way in their mind to hate you, and thus justify their deed.

Only 1/2 through.

Wow, this is a real life happy ending. Just happened. I just saw that the Aussies let him out. Good.

https://www.facebook.com/SmugglerBook/

I am typing this in a great mood that he is free. He probably had a lot to do with all the commercial mex dope being delivered across the border, that we had in SoCal early 70's ($10, 3 finger lid). So yeah ironic about delivery these daze. If he had left the powder alone he might not have gotten in such trouble. Competing with the CIA.

https://www.facebook.com/SmugglerBook/videos/the-irony-of-the-21st-century/2761563390795231/

Last edited:

White Beard

I’m working my way thru Tom Wolfe’s “Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test”...been meaning to get to it for decades, and now is the time.

"The Road to Serfdom" - F. Hayek
Is that the one where he admits in the preface/forward/thing that his work is entirely theoretical and not based on real economics or real experience with economies? Been a while since I read Hayek....

OilGuy

Finally got around to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy after a few socially distant months. Excellent read, though the reminder not to panic as the Earth crumbled was a little too close to home. :p

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Veteran
Everything from pratchett and zweig.

Have also the "psychology of the crowd" from le bon at home but i have to be in the right mood to read that kind of things