What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
MM, it would nice if you chose one of these testor grows and explained the MM method of defoliation

Personally, I would start pinching off those lower primary leafs

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting read.

I top my plants by removing the apex. Most people just do the FIM method - both work, its a matter of preference or style I should say.

I can't see defoliation being of any benefit for my SSbx1 right now - their young and need their power plants. I can't wait to start training them and get em big n juicy :D

Plus the plants are going to naturally use those older leaves - Those older leaves are the food time and energy you put into the plant earlier... Why not let the plant keep using everything you gave it - allowing it essentially to recycle itself?

It might be a little less aesthetically pleasing but you can still continue to "GST" the plants in a manor allowing bursts in immune system - structure and vigor while letting it be as efficient as it can be. It is imperative in Indoor but from noticing cannabis growth habbits - very efficient plants and usually nature got it right the first time so its best to say compliment what they are already going to do.

Just a thought. Humans are very hasty to "improve" mother nature :)

I wouldn't take anything off the babes just yet until they have 4 nodes and an established stem with good woody growth.

Soon we can get to the fun part lol

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you're growing in nature (where father sun is providing essentially the same light force from top to bottom, then sure, but indoors is a different game

Interesting read.

I top my plants by removing the apex. Most people just do the FIM method - both work, its a matter of preference or style I should say.

I can't see defoliation being of any benefit for my SSbx1 right now - their young and need their power plants. I can't wait to start training them and get em big n juicy :D

Plus the plants are going to naturally use those older leaves - Those older leaves are the food time and energy you put into the plant earlier... Why not let the plant keep using everything you gave it - allowing it essentially to recycle itself?

It might be a little less aesthetically pleasing but you can still continue to "GST" the plants in a manor allowing bursts in immune system - structure and vigor while letting it be as efficient as it can be. It is imperative in Indoor but from noticing cannabis growth habbits - very efficient plants and usually nature got it right the first time so its best to say compliment what they are already going to do.

Just a thought. Humans are very hasty to "improve" mother nature :)

I wouldn't take anything off the babes just yet until they have 4 nodes and an established stem with good woody growth.

Soon we can get to the fun part lol

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you're growing in nature (where father sun is providing essentially the same light force from top to bottom, then sure, but indoors is a different game

True but if your babes are under enough light there is nothing else you can do but let them grow unless increase the light intensity... and at that point you wouldn't be training either until they acclimate and start utilizing all the new light while receiving more food. Then you can begin to shape them to your desire but I wouldn't do all this extensive crazy shit unless everything is optimal - and roots being the biggest factor :)

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
MM, it would nice if you chose one of these testor grows and explained the MM method of defoliation

Personally, I would start pinching off those lower primary leafs

hey pet flora.

there already is a couple threads in here that explain and show the med-man method.

never remove any leafs in veg. its counter productive

med-man

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
hey pet flora.

there already is a couple threads in here that explain and show the med-man method.

never remove any leafs in veg. its counter productive

med-man
I find it very useful in veg when growing vertical.

I completely agree when your light source is above because that is the way the sun and the leaves have been doing it for years.

When I defoliate growing vert, it triggers taller plants with more symmetrical branch lengths.

But what do I know.
BeL

MiMedGuy

Veteran
I don't like to do much to the plant when they are from seed. I like to learn what is normal to it. Then round 2-? I mess around a lil bit. I know it doesnt always produce max results but it helps give a good baseline for my grow experience.

Ph-patrol

Veteran
I don't like to do much to the plant when they are from seed. I like to learn what is normal to it. Then round 2-? I mess around a lil bit. I know it doesnt always produce max results but it helps give a good baseline for my grow experience.

Well said

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey dudes

everyone has their own ways. one thing that cannot be argued is energy. these leafs create energy for more plant to grow, nutes to use if deficient or stressed etc

if they recieve no light then it makes sense, they can crerate problems. but for the most part defoliation is bad stress not good stress

med-man

Ph-patrol

Veteran
Grow attitude

Grow attitude

My strategy is when growing a new strain is to keep it all natural. See what the plant wants to do and let it take its course.
If she gets bit in trouble with stretch I pull back on veg time next time around and train in the moment.
I dont cut much off my girls,They give up there leave with a light tug when there good and ready.
I think growers cut to get a round peg into square hole.Witch is smart on indoor grows.

I just like to see what they truly looks like:peacock:

MiMedGuy

Veteran
My strategy is when growing a new strain is to keep it all natural. See what the plant wants to do and let it take its course.
If she gets bit in trouble with stretch I pull back on veg time next time around and train in the moment.
I dont cut much off my girls,They give up there leave with a light tug when there good and ready.
I think growers cut to get a round peg into square hole.Witch is smart on indoor grows.

I just like to see what they truly looks like:peacock:

Amen! I hand water so I rely on the plants stored energy more than a hydro setup that always has nutes available. I've noticed when I grew hydro I could defoliate without too much issue...I could force a canopy and get great results. When I switched to a perpetual system of individual plants that are hand watered 2 times a week it didn't work so well...so I let a plant be a plant and fed each as needed and only take a few of the dinner plate sized leaves off if they are too overwhelming.

MiMedGuy

Veteran
Well how ironic that the post that follows up how I water shows its weakness...I was not able to tend the room for a couple of days and the babies got too dry and started to wither on me...yikes! Thankfully I caught them in time without too much damage being done.

Week 3
all lower leaves were trimmed due to them yellowing and drying up.
They had some interesting smells

picture.php

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well how ironic that the post that follows up how I water shows its weakness...I was not able to tend the room for a couple of days and the babies got too dry and started to wither on me...yikes! Thankfully I caught them in time without too much damage being done.

Week 3
all lower leaves were trimmed due to them yellowing and drying up.
They had some interesting smells

View Image

hey mmg

now worries, builds character they say lol toughen em up a bit.

thanks for sharing

med-man

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi MiMedguy,
I have the same symptoms on my plants, but I thought I overwatered maybe.
I still hear med-man's word " they don't like soggy mediums !!"
Then again, I grow in coco and have never been able to overwater this medium...

The slight clawing of the leaves on some of my plants looks a bit like overwatering to me, especially since it didn't go away after another watering with light nutes.
I also got a few yellow lowers...

Now I'm letting them dry almost all up and see how they react.

all the best to you MiMedGuy and take care,

cc

S

skeezo

Woops, I should read some more threads..
I thOught ur strains didn't need leaves or water...

It was a male, hardy har.....

hey dudes

everyone has their own ways. one thing that cannot be argued is energy. these leafs create energy for more plant to grow, nutes to use if deficient or stressed etc

if they recieve no light then it makes sense, they can crerate problems. but for the most part defoliation is bad stress not good stress

med-man

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^^lol haha, looks like what my female pitty does to plants when she gets jealous lol

med-man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts