What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

"Semi auto" landraces?

Old Piney

Ace Lebanese today
1724716065002.png

Cinderella69

I'm sure, I've lived in the tropics and grown cannabis here most of my life.
Sure cannabis reacts to day, night length and cannabis from the tropics is more sensitive to small changes both in that and in reaction to seasonal changes, plants read those things and react to them..
Thanks for your detailed response. I was thinking about the matter some more. A plant growing at the equator experiences a change in day length of 8 minutes in its life span (assuming it needs around 26 weeks to fully mature). So it has to be extremely sensitive to changes in day length. But maybe not as sensitive as it seems, if you look at the change in DLI of some places the differences are huge over the year. I checked out some locations that are directly on the 0° latitude
and the DLI changed over 30% to almost 100% in half a year at the locations I looked. The changes in DLI over the year are explained by changing cloud cover and rain.
You also mention that there are other factors at work that trigger the maturation of the plant not directly linked to the change of day length like "seasonal changes" this seems very similar to semi-autos that get triggered by restricted root space, drought or poor soil.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
What is DLI?
I'm not sure how much pot gets grown right on the equator maybe we could make a list and give some examples of traits noticed that are a direct link to their ways of coping with that environment..
Important to remember there are changes in temperature and humidity from the wet season to the dry season and also that the whole life of the plant from seed to harvest is only 26 weeks in total or less ..

Cinderella69

What is DLI?

DLI stands for Dayly light integral: Daily light integral (DLI) describes the number of photosynthetically active photons (individual particles of light in the 400-700 nm range) that are delivered to a specific area over a 24-hour period (Wikipedia).
You can find DLI calculators online that estimate the DLI the plants receive at any region around the globe (just google "DLI calculator". I had added a link in my previous post but the link was removed. The hypothesis is that some equatorial landraces react to changes in light intensity and not primarily to changes of day length.

I'm not sure how much pot gets grown right on the equator maybe we could make a list and give some examples of traits noticed that are a direct link to their ways of coping with that environment..

I have never grown in a tropical environment so my contribution to such list would be based on hear say. But I would guess that traits developed near 0° latitude might travel a bit up and down the latitudes.

Important to remember there are changes in temperature and humidity from the wet season to the dry season

Changes in Humidity seem to be a very plausible trigger for flowering. The Beldia starts flowering if it gets to dry. Maybe equatorial sativas go in to flower if it's getting to wet. I would guess that changes in humidity also have an effect on the microbiome in the soil and the plant might react to that change. A lot of guessing an maybes but I'm convinced that there are mechanisms at play during the triggering of flower that neither fall in the category of day length sensitivity nor autoflowering.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
There are seasons in the tropics like every where. The wet season is during the longest months and as it dries out the days decrease in length which triggers flowering if it hasn't already begun, no water means reduction in food until there is no food at all and plants will finish, produce seeds and die,
Modern man seems to have forgotten this cycle but nature still remembers..
The dry season is cool with little or no rain for months , temperatures increase as the days grow longer and the cycle repeats itself over and over..
It's hard to have an understanding of these things without seeing them played out before you eyes over and over for decades...

Old Piney

. According to Khalifa their Beldia will start flowering below 15h45min of day length
I've grown their Beldia for the past two seasons 6 plants each season.they all had uniform flowering time with the males a little ahead as expected. Both year's they began flowering around july15 , at my latitude, 40 North the day length is 14.44 then. The longest day June 20th it's 15.02. Both year's I started them around end of may. Next year I think I will start some earlier and see if I get any fluctuation in flowering timing. BTW I love my Beldia

Cinderella69

The dry season is cool with little or no rain for months , temperatures increase as the days grow longer and the cycle repeats itself over and over..

Those fluctuation especially in temperature are much smaller the closer you get to the equator, but seasons still exist. If you take Indonesia for instance they get more rain during the dry season then I get in 12 month at 50° North. I'm suspecting that Indonesian landraces/heirloom might have some unique traits regarding start of flowering. I only found the Sumatra Aceh from Tlt:

According to TLT it is sown and harvested all year round in Indonesia.

It's hard to have an understanding of these things without seeing them played out before you eyes over and over for decades...

I admit my understanding of tropical seasons is not based in experience.

Both year's they began flowering around july15 , at my latitude, 40 North the day length is 14.44 then.

Khalifa offers the Beldia as fems and regs, maybe there is a difference between the two seed lines. The fems are IBL's and are probably more inbred than the regs. Not sure if I will order the regs or fems.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I wish anyone could trust those guys but their reputation is poor , they even scammed some thai seed out of me but I bet that doesn't get a mention on their site, lol
So yea it can be grown all year but only fliwer once and at a specific time.. that's if it actually is a sativa , hybrids will flower anytime of year but they don't like the monsoon much..

Old Piney

Khalifa offers the Beldia as fems and regs, maybe there is a difference between the two seed lines. The fems are IBL's and are probably more inbred than the regs. Not sure if I will order the regs or fems.
For me it's all about the seeds and preserving diversity .I always do a controlled open pollination using all the plants first. I've found that there are two distinct phenos , one extremely fluffy and loose and the other more chunky. There is about a 1 to 1 ratio of the two with some variations in taste and smell. I haven't noticed any variations in their high

Cinderella69

I wish anyone could trust those guys but their reputation is poor , they even scammed some thai seed out of me but I bet that doesn't get a mention on their site, lol

That's to bad, the preservation of landraces is an important mission, would be nice if the people doing it had some integrity. Thanks Wally.

For me it's all about the seeds and preserving diversity .I always do a controlled open pollination using all the plants first. I've found that there are two distinct phenos , one extremely fluffy and loose and the other more chunky. There is about a 1 to 1 ratio of the two with some variations in taste and smell. I haven't noticed any variations in their high

Cool stuff. I will probably go with the regs or maybe both. Thanks for your sharing your experiences.