What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Screw-in LED Stacking Totes

Aggilator

In the picture on the website its folded over so its more porous than it looks. I have pieces of it taped over all my computer intakes and none of my temps went up. Also taped it over all the intakes in my nephews xbox one. No dust or cat hair in either one after a year almost.

some super stretchy super cheap chinese made panty worked for me, so good i cant even find a way to cut it, its too damn strong!?

will dryer sheets have enough holes in them? sounds like a good cheap intake filter

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I did laundry last night and now I have 4 spent dryer sheets. They look just right to hold this very fine carbon and look like they'd allow as much air flow as pantyho.

picture.php

Any one else use this very fine carbon? For a 8x18 tray with two 32cfm fans I'm thinkin maybe 1/4" is all that's needed because it's so fine. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Aggilator

I don't know where it came from but it should be fine as long as it is real and the filter can hold it. Activated carbon can look alot different based on what it was made from,i plan to make my own using all my dried banana peels and wood chips,but until then i used this http://pilot.petsmart.com/fish/supp...i-aquarium-activated-filter-carbon-16972.html it's the biggest and best value i could find. The chunks are relatively large and i still get a very fine powder coming through the pantyhose after a while.

PS. what light sockets did you use? just curious cause i might start making a second tub and was considering doing a recessed light sorta deal and using my first tub for holding a mother. They look smaller than these leviton ones i have and that would be nice

Aggilator

Didn't see the question about the amount. I would use an inch layer depending how fine it is. the thickness of it is what's gonna give you the smell eliminating power down the road. Go ahead and test it with 1/4 though. I put some fancy feast fish & shrimp cat food in it to test mine and put my face right in the exhaust. You could use cat poop too. Or anything else smelly. :biggrin:

thickness depends on more than one factor, its try and try and try

mines about half an inch and seems good but i want to improve

i use incense, if that cant be smelled, nothing can. period.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I keep redoing carbon filters before even testing them cause I find a problem or a way I can make it better. I can't wait to be done with this part of it. Rrrrr. I actually got a single panty ho to stretch with out ripping all the way across about a 8x20 peice of wire mesh. I gave up on the design where the carbon would be in the walls instead of the top of the filter because it was complicating the build way too much. I'm just going to make sure the filter is short enough so there's enough space between the carbon tray and the lid of the top tote. I had one all made up using the seedling trays but I couldn't really get the screen to lay flat so now I'm making a new one out of small clear totes which are much more rigid. Hopefully I will have real progress to show soon... like a finished working tote with some beans sprouting.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Third filter's a charm

Third filter's a charm

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

I haven't tested it with the carbon in the tray yet but I have high hopes.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
picture.php
picture.php

I kept it real simple and just wrapped the ends of my light trap tight with electrical tape, no glue.
picture.php

The light is still on in this picture with the light trap taped in place. It works great!! With the light on in the room, even in the shadow of the tote itself you cannot see any light leaking at all! Thanks ScrubNinja!!
picture.php

ScrogMonster

Veteran
So this is a picture of the tote with the lights on and all lights in my dwelling off.... there is a little red dot the left side of the picture... That is the red led on the power strip switch. Even though the camera cannot pick up any light there is actually a very noticeable dull glow coming from the light trap but if it was close to a wall with other objects or more totes on both sides of it, as it will be when in operation, then it wouldn't be noticeable, not like any one would ever be around the totes at all but especially in complete darkness, the lights would be on or it'd be day time and there'd be nothing to see then.
picture.php

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Tonight I will add carbon and do a smell and temperature check and as long as I can get both to pass simultaneously.... It's off to the races?! Then i have to make the tough decision of what to pop... Humboldt Green Crack? Bubba Kush? Nightshade? Cherry Bomb? Barney's Acopolco Gold? Jack herror? Barney's Blue cheese? Barney's Blue Crimea? Pineapple Chunk? I'm forgetting two or three strains I have on hand but I think I'm going to start with just 4 strains so... decisions, decisions ..

Aggilator

The new filter looks beautiful. Though i have to admit i can't tell where the carbon goes lol,under the fans i assume? I've been doing pretty much the same exact thing redoing stuff to make it better. I was having really low airflow with it all assembled even after adding a second intake pipe,so i replaced the wire screen and pantyhose with the a/c filter sheet material and its much much better.

So far i've had two bagseed seedlings die before even going in the box,probably fate just saying it wasnt ready yet. The first one that had sprouted accidentally in my bathtub ended up falling off my dresser and breaking the head of the stem off,second died from trying to help it too much,didnt bury it very deep and put taproot down,seed case never came off and cotyledons rotted.. sad.

doams

View Image View Image View Image View Image

I haven't tested it with the carbon in the tray yet but I have high hopes.

are those fans pushing air inside those tunnels?
from the photo it looks like that..
if the carbon is further down those tunnels I doubt it will work unless you are using very powerfull fans. its better to suck the air thru carbon /less resistance/ so you better turn those fans the other way around

in fact place carbon where the fans are now and place fans with back plate pointing outside of box at the edges of box..@other end of pipe..

fan is always pushing air where the back plate is mean you see those interconnections from side to middle which holds the fan. the open side is sucking side.
what fans are those?
or maybe its an intake if yes then nevermind.

would like to see the whole thing photo..
it is very unclear to me how is your filter made/assembled/connected..

Last edited:

ScrogMonster

Veteran
The fans are 1" below the wire mesh/pantyho screen tray that will hold the fine virgin coconut shell activated carbon, the face plates are pointing down into the 3" duct's that will pipe the scrubbed air out of the tote see, pulling air through the carbon tray, which is at the very top of the upper tote/recessed light ballast box with about 1/2-3/4" space between the carbon tray and the lid of the tote. The air enters the top tote through the holes around the LED's.

Latest posts

Latest posts