What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Screw-in LED Stacking Totes

Aggilator

Yeah closer to the filter is better. I built a new computer recently and i cut pieces of these http://duckbrand.com/products/weath...-a-c-replacement-filter/24-in-x-15-in-x-25-in to the size of the fans and duct-taped them on the outside of my fan intakes to act as dust filters and the fans still act like a vacuum cleaner,so much cat hair gets stuck in them.

My box is almost done,only little problem i see is my intake pipe too,two 90 degree pvc elbows lined with black tape still let a little light in,need another elbow. Would be interested to see how your light trap contraption works out.

The phillips bulbs i have dont have screw-on diffusers so i have to melt them and cut them off with a knife but yeah i probably will do that to most of them.

cat hair.. dont get me started
neverending battle :dueling:

black tape you say? that reflects more than you can ever want, use spraypaint or add a dustfilter or both

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
The phillips bulbs i have dont have screw-on diffusers so i have to melt them and cut them off with a knife but yeah i probably will do that to most of them.

None of the diffusers are screw-on. Drill a hole on both sides of the diffuser and put a screwdriver through both holes. Use the screwdriver to pull the difusers off. If the glue is too stiff, take the screwdriver out and plug in the bulbs to get the glue warm. Then try again.

See ya later Aggilator! :biggrin:

ScrogMonster

Veteran
i think you got that right

i had soo much better results with the filter as close to the filter as possible, 1 or 2inch indeed, it helped for noise a lot too

This is making sense to me, I will probably move the fans much closer to the new filter if not directly attach them to the box. Thanks for pointing this out. Hey... How do you give some one rep points? I'm probably still too new for it and don't have a button? Is that it?

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Yeah closer to the filter is better. I built a new computer recently and i cut pieces of these http://duckbrand.com/products/weath...-a-c-replacement-filter/24-in-x-15-in-x-25-in to the size of the fans and duct-taped them on the outside of my fan intakes to act as dust filters and the fans still act like a vacuum cleaner,so much cat hair gets stuck in them.

My box is almost done,only little problem i see is my intake pipe too,two 90 degree pvc elbows lined with black tape still let a little light in,need another elbow. Would be interested to see how your light trap contraption works out.

Yeah the outside part is the globe. Some bulbs, once you pop the globes off, will have a clear light diffuser in the center screwd on over a cluster of led chips. All the ones I come across have tiny screws holding them there, very easy to remove. I bought some from Walmart though that didn't have those, once you pop the globe off you're done.

Thanks for seconding the fan/filter distance deal. ^ ^
Definitely do that screw driver trick to "pop" the globes off I waisted a lot of time and energy with a PVC saw before one i was sawing popped off as I was sawing it, then I realized it's just a little silicone type substance holding the globes in place.... shoulda had a V8. 😐

This is what I'm going to do with those materials incase you have not seen this yet... scrub ninja's light trap.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=135524

It's also a space saver

Aggilator

Couple of pictures. Foil tape is my best friend now,more forgiving than i expected. Intake pipe could be bigger but oh well i'll add a second if i need to.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 26
isnt it easier to raise it off the floor, cut a piece out the bottom, put a dustfilter in it, maybe even add a frame to put pots on, double bottom w/e, pipe sticking out looks like uh... not sure

Aggilator

I'm not just gonna have it sitting in the middle of a room,it's gonna be nestled into a closet and the pipe will be far in the back corner. Closet is almost exactly as deep as the bin is wide.

Aggilator

Also i had two ideas for the pipe,either have it like is now,or i could easily just push it into the box and have the light-trap elbows on the inside and there would just be a hole in the side instead a protruding pipe.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Easy louvers

Easy louvers

So here's the easy to work with materials I found at home depot to make my own scrub ninja louvers style light trap.

picture.php

Dry wall joiner for the louvers themselves... tin snips cut through like butter oh yeah. Only thing is you have to rip the paper Off, very quick and easy to do no tricks to explain just grab and rip. I just spray painted right over the glue and fibers left behind for a flat black textured finish. I expect no problems from this, it looks good I'll post pics later of finished product.

Then corner molding for the spacers, it was on sale very cheap. It's like a paper thin vanueir over a foam material... cuts clean and very easy with my small hack saw.

At the top is the drywall joiner with the paper still on, right under that is the same thing with the paper ripped off. At the bottom is the corner moulding.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
One pic tute

One pic tute

See...

picture.php
picture.php

I know I said one pic... but the second is just a close up of something clearly visible the first so.... IT DOESN'T COUNT!! MUAhaha....ha.....ha.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Damn carbon filter I can't settle it.

Damn carbon filter I can't settle it.

Here's a pic of the very beggining of me changing the style of my carbon filter last night... after Huffnstuffnpuff's convinced me to have less distance between fans and filter... and after deciding I want the carbon on the sides for best air flow I figured I'd use the bottom from the current one, which ofcoarse was originally the bottom of a standard 10x20 seedling tray... then just put the fans inside the box facing down, tape tape tape, see..
picture.php

Then I cut 1 and 3/4" strips of my 1/4" wire mesh screen and attempted to line it with panty hose... PROBLEM!!! Rrrrr!! The panty hose keeps ripping real P.I.T.A. and I was wondering my lovely people of icmag, champions of ingenuity... any one have a suggestion to a similar material that won't rip so easy? Cheese cloth? Maybe could order just the right size silk screen... Any one know what size that might be for good air flow yet holding this very fine granular carbon? I might try the carbon filter cloth I have but it's a lil thick and i feel like just a tad too restricting maybe...I might try stretching out old socks... shit maybe I just need to find myself some higher quality panty hose... Never thought I'd say that...

Also in the pic you can spot the louvers and spacers after being sprayed with flat black. ^ ^

Aggilator

Getting the pantyhose on the screen was a bit of a problem. I cut the closed end of the pantyhose off so it was tube-like,stretched it out wide,held the edged of the screen together into a roll sort of and pushed it in,then let it unroll inside. I cant say i'd want to do it again though...

You could try dryer sheets instead. Or the polyurethane A/C filter replacements i linked earlier. (They are hard to find at walmart now depending on where you live since its getting cold they stop stocking them.) If you use dryer sheets i would use them first in the dryer,then soak/rinse them in water for a good while to get the sweet smell out of them and improve the airflow through them.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Getting the pantyhose on the screen was a bit of a problem. I cut the closed end of the pantyhose off so it was tube-like,stretched it out wide,held the edged of the screen together into a roll sort of and pushed it in,then let it unroll inside. I cant say i'd want to do it again though...

You could try dryer sheets instead. Or the polyurethane A/C filter replacements i linked earlier. (They are hard to find at walmart now depending on where you live since its getting cold they stop stocking them.) If you use dryer sheets i would use them first in the dryer,then soak/rinse them in water for a good while to get the sweet smell out of them and improve the airflow through them.

It's hard to fallow your process but I'm pretty sure I know what you're saying you did. Spent dryer sheets though I like that idea.. visualizing them on the floor next to my clothes dryer in my photographic memory I can see that they seem about just the right texture. :) Thanks Mr. Aggilator

ScrogMonster

Veteran
That duck brand AC filter stuff looks almost identical to the activated carbon type I have on hand, although if it lets more air through I could see it being very useful to keep dust out of the carbon and out of the grow chamber. I'd really like to filter my intake and worry a bit less about gnats and spores etc.