What's new

Ron Paul 2012!!! Your thoughts on who we should pick for our "Cause"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
i don't think this illustates Dr Pauls strategy...but throw that against the wall and see if it sticks!

That's all we have at this point. But rather than insist an evil conspiracy is in the works, we'll see if anything pops up.

Did you see the Kudlow interview? It's a yes or no question. Might be the only two words that aren't in the meandering answer.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
So... Why shouldn't I vote for/contribute to Ron Paul?

DB, does Ron Paul have any redeeming qualities in your eyes?

Yeah, I like the idea of weed reform. IMO, waxing the DEA wold make lots of us happy but we'd have to deal with the hard drug problem.

I'm not a policy maker so I don't what goes into reform preliminaries that seek to recognize and manage expected outcomes. Ron Paul strikes me as an ideas man but I've yet to see his ideas in more detail. When Obama was campaigning on health care reform, the aspects of reform were quantified. Of course these were estimates but there was significantly more information than, "I'll reform health care".

The agencies and departments Paul wishes to end would shift cost to other areas. These areas would either perform as well as the former entities - or not.

I'm not against his ideas. I'm curious why they're all so far right they meet the left on the backside. Just kidding. Seriously, ending things as opposed to fixing them always seems abrupt and the potential of shortsighted planning might give us more problems than we tried to fix.

whodare

Veteran
thats the thing to me it is important how history happened. interestingly enough many of the things you brush of as conspiracies are slowly being proven by gov documents being released which were classified till recently, on those events. if you knew more real history you might not be so dismissive of having an honest real human being as president, who will not try and be a dictator, but instead follow the oath he takes.

i don't have the time and energy to take your whole post and put up what i think line for line. but i will jump on another misconception of yours concerning the gold standard. RP has said there is no need to kill the fed, all we have to do is allow competition to the fed. take away their ability to be the sole creators of legal tender. let people use gold coins, pieces of shit or silver what ever. the strongest most stable, debt free currency will win through. there is no need to kill the fed, US citizens will do that as soon as they notice that they could be using stable debt free money instead of having value stolen from their savings yearly through inflation caused by more printing and debt.

what surprises me is that you basically seem to be happy with the status quo. some how it makes no sense, you have nothing to fear from RP as president. he will be the peoples president. by following the constitution it will not be easy for him to do everything that he might like to. but at least he will stop things getting worse.

as for the military brought home, why not have them build up the crumbling infra structure in the US (didn't hear RP suggest this, my idea). this would be a boon to the country, a investment in the future that will pay off a thousand fold over time.

you really think Germany will be invaded if the US leaves? ROFLMAO! they have re armed enough to keep soldiers in Afghanistan. do you think the US is the only thing stopping al qaida take over Germany? how about the EU, ya think they might be able to take care of their own shit?

when you trade with people you develop friendly relations. when you don't use force or the threat of force to secure your side the best deal and are ready to deal with people on a fair equally satisfying basis you will not get wars, in fact you get the opposite. you get everyone wanting to be like you, as in the old days.

another thing about money that you never mention is that at the moment a private entity is able to create money from thin air and do with it as they please. which includes lending it to the gov at interest to be used for gov expenses.

anyone who opens their eyes and really studies the situation, can see that Ron Paul is a once in a generation type politician who is honest and has the record to prove it. if the establishment media didn't manipulate polls and lie about him when they can't get away with pretending he doesn't exist, he'd be the front runner already.

why do you think the military is giving him more money then all the other candidates and obama put together? what do they know that some here are missing i wonder?

as for the thing about sex, i just have to laugh, if that's all the contra reason thats left, i have to ask, do you really consider it more important then perpetual war on many fronts and all the rest of the important issues? Ron Paul has made it very clear that gov has no business legislating morality, or any private behavior as long as no ones rights are infringed.

a president who believes in the individuals rights, will be such a breath of fresh air. without someone like that soon to nominate some constitutional judges, the supreme court might as well not exist anymore. one more progressive and bye bye 2nd, bye 4th, oh wait that's gone already, bye bye the first too, before you know it the whole thing will be bye bye.
Qft

whodare

Veteran
That's all we have at this point. But rather than insist an evil conspiracy is in the works, we'll see if anything pops up.

Did you see the Kudlow interview? It's a yes or no question. Might be the only two words that aren't in the meandering answer.

Didn't even watch your own video Clown he says definitively NO about 7 min in

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
Yeah, I like the idea of weed reform..

Just curious, (forgive me if this has been addressed, I'm not reading 200 pages to catch up), how do you feel about Ron Paul's criticisms of our monetary system? How do you feel about taxation through inflation of the currency supply in order to fund foreign wars and corporate bailouts? Is it simply a case of mis-management at the Fed bank or is the entire premise of fiat currency flawed?

BabyHuey

Just an observation about this thread.

Without the contributions by Disco,ShroomDr, Cojito,
and a few other dissenting voices this thread would be nothing
but a gigantic RP knob slobbering contest without 1/2 the views(or info)
it currently has.

:tiphat:

Last edited:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Didn't even watch your own video Clown he says definitively NO about 7 min in

Don't you think 7 minutes is a bit long winded? Might he offer the no a bit toward the front end and elaborate downhill?

I'm not suggesting he didn't answer the question. But the answer is more often that not marbled with the platform.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Just curious, (forgive me if this has been addressed, I'm not reading 200 pages to catch up), how do you feel about Ron Paul's criticisms of our monetary system? How do you feel about taxation through inflation of the currency supply in order to fund foreign wars and corporate bailouts? Is it simply a case of mis-management at the Fed bank or is the entire premise of fiat currency flawed?

I don't blame you for not reading back, it's too damn big.:)

I'm not an economist. I know we have problems but bail outs aren't strategy. They're tactics we're faced with because we deregulated Wall Street enough to provide a sustained period of recklessness.

IMO, rather than return to the gold standard which no other country uses, I'd prefer to return to the regulations that prevented Wall Street from running amok for 6 decades.

I'd also like to return funding, manpower and enforcement to regulations gutted since the 1980s.

The US has roughly $74 trillion in collective, private worth. We have about $17 billion in gold reserves. I'm not Einstein but the quick math says that's about 4350:1.

I have a bank account with $4350. Would a gold standard leave me with $4350? Would it be closer to $1? The practical application has to function or it's just a precious metal that isn't part of a global monetary system.

If bankers are manipulating the currency, wouldn't gold miners in South Africa and Uzbekistan have the same opportunity?

MadBuddhaAbuser

Kush, Sour Diesel, Puday boys
Veteran
Yeah, I like the idea of weed reform. IMO, waxing the DEA wold make lots of us happy but we'd have to deal with the hard drug problem.

Dude.......portugal?

Ten Years After Decriminalization, Drug Abuse Down by Half in Portuga
2012 Forbes.com LLC™
Sections

7/05/2011 @ 3:09PM | 225,064 views Ten Years After Decriminalization, Drug Abuse Down by Half in Portugal

“ Health experts in Portugal said Friday that Portugal’s decision 10 years ago to decriminalise drug use and treat addicts rather than punishing them is an experiment that has worked.

“There is no doubt that the phenomenon of addiction is in decline in Portugal,” said Joao Goulao, President of the Institute of Drugs and Drugs Addiction, a press conference to mark the 10th anniversary of the law.

The number of addicts considered “problematic” — those who repeatedly use “hard” drugs and intravenous users —had fallen by half since the early 1990s when the figure was estimated at around 100,000 people, Goulao said.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Dude.......portugal?

What has Portugal done other than reform the law? Are these remaining addicts now buying drugs from the system? Do we have any idea that Ron Paul would consider Portugal's model?

I'm not against the idea so long as it's managed. The message I get from Ron Paul - personal responsibility - doesn't reflect what the system would look like.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
I don't blame you for not reading back, it's too damn big.:)

I'm not an economist. I know we have problems but bail outs aren't strategy. They're tactics we're faced with because we deregulated Wall Street enough to provide a sustained period of recklessness.

IMO, rather than return to the gold standard which no other country uses, I'd prefer to return to the regulations that prevented Wall Street from running amok for 6 decades.

I'd also like to return funding, manpower and enforcement to regulations gutted since the 1980s.

If we're talking Glass-Steagall I'm with you on this one. Gramm–Leach–Bliley allowed the too-big-too-fails to form.

The US has roughly $74 trillion in collective, private worth. We have about $17 billion in gold reserves. I'm not Einstein but the quick math says that's about 4350:1.

I have a bank account with $4350. Would a gold standard leave me with $4350? Would it be closer to $1? The practical application has to function or it's just a precious metal that isn't part of a global monetary system.

If bankers are manipulating the currency, wouldn't gold miners in South Africa and Uzbekistan have the same opportunity?

I can't say how best the gold standard would be implemented, but I can say that $4350 in physical gold will likely have more purchasing power than $4350 in Federal Reserve Notes 5 years from now. However, this is an argument for owning physical metals in today's economic environment as a hedge against seemingly inevitable inflation that is built into our monetary system, not an argument in favor of a gold standard. That said, I think it stands to reason that a commodity-based monetary system would not have the built-in inflation of a fiat system.

I also think it stands to reason that a South African gold miner would have his power to inflate the currency supply limited by the amount of gold he mines and the rate that he mines it. What limit do the private issuers of fiat notes have? How much ink and paper can you buy when you issue the currency? A bailout would not happen under a gold standard. There would be no lender of last-resort.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
What has Portugal done other than reform the law? Are these remaining addicts now buying drugs from the system? Do we have any idea that Ron Paul would consider Portugal's model?

I'm not against the idea so long as it's managed. The message I get from Ron Paul - personal responsibility - doesn't reflect what the system would look like.

http://deadlinelive.info 2011/07/27 ten-years-ago-portugal legalized-all-drugs what-happened-next/

Ten Years Ago Portugal Legalized All Drugs — What Happened Next?

July 27, 2011 by Jack Blood

When the nation legalized all drugs within its borders, most critics predicted disaster. But a decade later, drug use has plunged dramatically.

The government in Portugal has no plans to back down. Although the Netherlands is the European country most associated with liberal drug laws, it has already been ten years since Portugal became the first European nation to take the brave step of decriminalizing possession of all drugs within its borders—from marijuana to heroin, and everything in between.This controversial move went into effect in June of 2001, in response to the country’s spiraling HIV/AIDS statistics. While many critics in the poor and largely conservative country attacked the sea change in drug policy, fearing it would lead to drug tourism while simultaneously worsening the country’s already shockingly high rate of hard drug use, a report published in 2009 by the Cato Institute tells a different story. Glenn Greenwald, the attorney and author who conducted the research, told Time: “Judging by every metric, drug decriminalization in Portugal has been a resounding success. It has enabled the Portuguese government to manage and control the drug problem far better than virtually every other Western country.”

Back in 2001, Portugal had the highest rate of HIV among injecting drug users in the European Union—an incredible 2,000 new cases a year, in a country with a population of just 10 million. Despite the predictable controversy the move stirred up at home and abroad, the Portuguese government felt there was no other way they could effectively quell this ballooning problem. While here in the U.S. calls for full drug decriminalization are still dismissed as something of a fringe concern, the Portuguese decided to do it, and have been quietly getting on with it now for a decade. Surprisingly, most credible reports appear to show that decriminalization has been a staggering success.

The DEA sees it a bit differently. Portugal, they say, was a disaster, with heroin and HIV rates out of control. “Portugal’s addict population and the problems that go along with addiction continue to increase,” the DEA maintains. “In an effort to reduce the number of addicts in the prison system, the Portuguese government has an enacted some radical policies in the last few years with the eventual decriminalization of all illicit drugs in July of 2001.”

However, as Glenn Greenwald, the author of the Cato study, concludes: “By freeing its citizens from the fear of prosecution and imprisonment for drug usage, Portugal has dramatically improved its ability to encourage drug addicts to avail themselves of treatment. The resources that were previously devoted to prosecuting and imprisoning drug addicts are now available to provide treatment programs to addicts.” Under the perfect system, treatment would also be voluntary, but as an alternative to jail, mandatory treatment save money. But for now, “the majority of EU states have rates that are double and triple the rate for post-decriminalization Portugal,” Greenwald says.

For those looking for clues about how the U.S. government can tackle its domestic drug problem, the figures are enticing. Following decriminalization, Portugal eventually found itself with the lowest rates of marijuana usage in people over 15 in the EU: about 10%. Compare this to the 40% of people over 12 who regularly smoke pot in the U.S., a country with some of the most punitive drugs laws in the developed world. Drug use of all kinds has declined in Portugal: Lifetime use among seventh to ninth graders fell from 14.01% to 10.6%. Lifetime heroin use among 16-18 year olds fell from 2.5% to 1.8%. And what about those horrific HIV infection rates that prompted the move in the first place? HIV infection rates among drug users fell by an incredible 17%, while drug related deaths were reduced by more than half. “There is no doubt that the phenomenon of addiction is in decline in Portugal,” said Joao Goulao, President of the Institute of Drugs and Drugs Addiction, at a press conference to mark the 10th anniversary of the law.

We’re not holding our breath that the Portuguese example will lead to any kind of abrupt about-face in America’s own sputtering drug war, which is still sputtering steadily along at a cost of trillions a year. However, with the medical marijuana movement so far refusing to be strangled out of existence by the DEA, Senators Jim Webb and Arlen Specter recently made a proposal to create a blue ribbon commission to look at prison and drug sentencing reform. And for any pro-legalization presidential hopefuls in 2012, the movement for a common sense drug policy in the United States may be finally moving into the mainstream.

Drunks are going to get booze, whether its illegal or not. Half the allure of the 'speak easy' was its illegality.

Dope fiends and smack addicts will find their shit too; most of their danger comes from the seethe underground and the poor and varying quality.

All drugs should be legal, if you want to huff gasoline, have at it. If you cant convince your child that huffing gas and shooting dope is a bad thing... well maybe that set of your genes shouldn't continue....

I could get REAL high right now if i go huff some spray paint, forgive me for not thinking Krylon should be illegal.

You shouldnt have to convince a 10 year old to not play in traffic, if they cant figure that shit out... SPLAT. (but if you make it seem like a forbidden game...)

-

Last edited:

Cojito

since every candidate on both sides believes sex is sin.. who 'ya voting for?

they do? i guess i just don't see the equivalency.

baring an unforeseen development, i will not be voting republican at this moment in our history. not until republicans decide to join the rest of us in the 21st century.

whodare

Veteran
All drugs should be legal, if you want to huff gasoline, have at it. If you cant convince your child that huffing gas and shooting dope is a bad thing... well maybe that set of your genes shouldn't continue....

I could get REAL high right now if i go huff some spray paint, forgive me for not thinking Krylon should be illegal.

You shouldnt have to convince a 10 year old to not play in traffic, if they cant figure that shit out... SPLAT. (but if you make it seem like a forbidden game...)

-

Too funny

SPLAT

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
http://deadlinelive.info 2011/07/27 ten-years-ago-portugal legalized-all-drugs what-happened-next/

Drunks are going to get booze, whether its illegal or not. Half the allure of the 'speak easy' was its illegality.

Dope fiends and smack addicts will find their shit too; most of their danger comes from the seethe underground and the poor and varying quality.

-
some folks need a nanny to help them know drugs are bad mmmmmmkay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts