What's new

Question for Sam the Skunk Man: Lime Phenos in Skunk?

I only grew one Chernobyl, a cut a buddy shared with me. Not any kind of elite keeper pheno, he likes to pop a few of a lot of different kinds so this was just something that was passing through his room. She vegged like crazy but buds never filled in that hard, stayed kind of feathery on me in the backyard. Had a unique up high to it that I liked though.

I did get to try Trainwreck back around 2002, a friend in Blue Lake was running it and I was lucky to hang with him for a little while in the late stages of flowering and he was kind enough to hit me with a nice supply to bring home. Peppery ammonia is the first thing that comes to mind, the aroma and flavor weren’t my favorite but it’s just personal taste there. Do you like that Trainwreck-leaning lime flavor? If so I thought I saw Trainwreck F2 or S1 somewhere not too long ago, maybe on the Tude

Oh just remembered for the Wreck- Richard Williams version on HD maybe?

I came across loads of different peoples grows of the train wreck and they varied in quality but were pretty much always the same cutting except once. It was a much much more lime neon version of train wreck and it was very very similar to the neon lime i'm looking for.

I really liked train wreck at first but got bored of it. It's really a great quality cut if it's the real thing and it's pretty potent and unique.

That said, I really don't think deep chunk is a good pairing for train wreck. Some times I really don't understand peoples logic to their pairings.

That’s awesome! Purps got quite the rave Cannabible review

It was pretty exciting for me at the time and it was super unique completely dark purple. It looked almost black and smelled very flowery, Like violets. A very delicate and sublime high but the nugs were airy and tiny and it was low potency. I think it had loads of hybrid potential though.

Idk if it's still floating around and being hoarded or if it's lost to time.

it was a cookies of the time ;)

That's kind of what I'm thinking. So, it makes me wonder which seed companies were around in the late 90's selling skunk.

I'm pretty sure it's got to be stock from one of those companies. I kind of doubt that person was crossing it to Mexican bagseed or anything crazy like that.

A little off topic, but given your search for most powerful high.... what are your favorites? Schwinn- sorry for the minor thread hijack

I'm not searching for the most powerful high.

If I was looking for that I'd be diving head first into Stuff derived from OG kush.

I'm interested in pre- Sour Diesel era genetics. That didn't have Northern Lights or the g13 hashplant bred into it.

My current theory is that it was a cross of skunk derived from Sam_skunkman's middle late period skunk #1 crossed to something probably derived from an early skunk hybrid with Mexican perhaps, or something derived from an early jack herer taken in a different direction to the Jack herrer I think of when I think of Jack herrer. Then rebranded as Sensi Skunk in the 90's. Then someone ordered seeds from an ad out of Hightimes magazine, found a great keeper and that's the skunk I came across.

'Boogieman'

I never smoked a purple strain that got me decently high so I have wrote off anything purple and suggest you do too.

I'm sure you can find a similar buzz in sativas but the chances of finding a happy euphoric skunk these days is pretty low.

I never smoked a purple strain that got me decently high so I have wrote off anything purple and suggest you do too.

I'm sure you can find a similar buzz in sativas but the chances of finding a happy euphoric skunk these days is pretty low.

I think there is unreached potential in the purple lines.

GDP was an improvement on urkle in a lot of ways. It has a nice bottom end and isolated a certain spectrum of the terp profile.

I always felt urkle was an unfinshed project.

Like maybe it should have been hybridizied into the purps, lavender, blueberry. Then each of those line bred to bring out certain spectrums of the terp profile. Then those lines could each be bred together to create a fuller spectrum.

varieties which don't have northern lights in it. that will be difficult :D

To be honest maybe I don't know northern lights well enough. It might very well be an important part of the mellange of things I love but I'm just ignorant of that fact. All I can really do is point to things I did love and sort of theorize on what they are based on other reference points but the truth is I don't know the complete picture.

I think most things are just recombinations of the same few basic ingredients and a lot of marketing. I think a lot of people are really just caught up in the marketing and the cult of personalities surrounding the marketing and trending hype trains.

We don't really know what went on behind the scenes.

I also think a lot of people are overly proud of how high their tolerance is. They like [insert strain name] here because of how potent it is and if you don't like it it's because you must be a lightweight.

Well when you can make extracts in various forms then potency of the flower means a lot less because you can make anything potent in a concentration. So, the defining characteristic should then shift to quality and character of the high and terpenes.

My prejudice against Northern Lights is based on liking that lime pheno of skunk and some unnamed haze cross I came across. While on the other hand I really didn't like the primo AAA jack Herrer I've come across. So I assumed, possibly, incorrectly that it's the Northern Lights influence I don't like. Maybe it's the shiva skunk though? I don't really know.

J-Icky

Well I wouldn’t focus too much in the bright neon green bud thing. In my area stuff like that was readily available and it was always hydro. I honestly haven’t seen anything like that in years either. It was always cut early and half dried to give it that “sticky icky” feeling.

Sadly with the way we evolve and adapt throughout our lives, you could find the exact same plant, grown the exact same way and dried and cured the exact same way and you may not think it’s the same. It’s why we can dislike a food at one point and later in life come to enjoy it. Our sense of smell and taste is constantly evolving with every new experience and the same can be said for the effects it has within your body too.

It’s also why I believe RKS may have never truly existed. Back then “loud” strains were very rare and when you had one no one cared to smell for the subtle undertones.
My wife doesn’t smoke and I’ve have strains that I thought had strong lemony smells or berry smells and without even telling her I got anything I can walk into the house and within a minute she will say she knows I have some on me cause it reeks like a skunk just sprayed our house according to her. She’s not “adapted” herself to ignore the overwhelming and pick out the subtle undertones.
Don’t believe me, fine take something you think smells just like whatever fruit and take that bag to some true non smokers and ask them what it smells like to them. I don’t mean occasional, but truly don’t smoke. I guarantee they say it smells like a skunk.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
My prejudice against Northern Lights is based on liking that lime pheno of skunk and some unnamed haze cross I came across. While on the other hand I really didn't like the primo AAA jack Herrer I've come across. So I assumed, possibly, incorrectly that it's the Northern Lights influence I don't like. Maybe it's the shiva skunk though? I don't really know.

I am on same boat, and trying to find heirlooms which dont contain it. I am sure original trainwreck from 80´s didnt have it, but nowdays I am not sure. same for old school romulan - not really sure if it wasn't crossed to NL or NLskunk(shiva skunk) in 90´s when NL was very very popular. I should get big sur holy weed seeds, which dont have it. I am looking forward to it like little child :D og kush and sour diesel contain it in my opinion. also real deal haze doesn't contain it.. blueberry doesn't contain it.. we should make the list of old school PNW heirlooms northern light free :D although I like it all in the end, even NL5haze :D

Well I wouldn’t focus too much in the bright neon green bud thing. In my area stuff like that was readily available and it was always hydro. I honestly haven’t seen anything like that in years either. It was always cut early and half dried to give it that “sticky icky” feeling.

Sadly with the way we evolve and adapt throughout our lives, you could find the exact same plant, grown the exact same way and dried and cured the exact same way and you may not think it’s the same. It’s why we can dislike a food at one point and later in life come to enjoy it. Our sense of smell and taste is constantly evolving with every new experience and the same can be said for the effects it has within your body too.

It’s also why I believe RKS may have never truly existed. Back then “loud” strains were very rare and when you had one no one cared to smell for the subtle undertones.
My wife doesn’t smoke and I’ve have strains that I thought had strong lemony smells or berry smells and without even telling her I got anything I can walk into the house and within a minute she will say she knows I have some on me cause it reeks like a skunk just sprayed our house according to her. She’s not “adapted” herself to ignore the overwhelming and pick out the subtle undertones.
Don’t believe me, fine take something you think smells just like whatever fruit and take that bag to some true non smokers and ask them what it smells like to them. I don’t mean occasional, but truly don’t smoke. I guarantee they say it smells like a skunk.

I know a lot of my memroies are filtered through nostalgia. The smell may have been more citrus funk than pure lime. But it was very brightly scented citrus with a higher note than lemons and it dominated that top note loudly. The smell exactly matched the color too which is what gave it so much character as a bag.

The high was best part about it by far. I'd estimate it to be about 15% thc so maybe not the most potent but the high and smell was a bell ringer for me. I was really hoping it was some semi common keeper or something.

I am on same boat, and trying to find heirlooms which dont contain it. I am sure original trainwreck from 80´s didnt have it, but nowdays I am not sure. same for old school romulan - not really sure if it wasn't crossed to NL or NLskunk(shiva skunk) in 90´s when NL was very very popular. I should get big sur holy weed seeds, which dont have it. I am looking forward to it like little child :D og kush and sour diesel contain it in my opinion. also real deal haze doesn't contain it.. blueberry doesn't contain it.. we should make the list of old school PNW heirlooms northern light free :D although I like it all in the end, even NL5haze :D

I havn't tried Jakes cut of Romulan but I've tried an amazing keeper selection of Romulan and it smelled very strongly of spruce fir needles. The strongest smelling herb I've come across outside of the skunks. Easily in my top 5 list along with that lime pheno, and blueberry.

honestly, I think the 'easiest' way to go for creating something truly special is to go through as many Thunk seeds as possible and look for an elite cut to cross to blueberry.

You know for sure that the thunk is an original select cross by a legend. There has got to be fire worthy of the gods in there if one looks deep enough.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
On nostalgia and changing, yes and no. I had a smoke of something in '74 that was out of this world. I do not think that was nostalgia and expect if I smoked it now it would do similar, though maybe somewhat less than what it did.

Simpson, you may find yourself doing what I am doing, going thru many different strains that might be from the time period and type of buds that you loved so much. You may never find it. I have gone thru many strains now and while I do have some like the Michoacan that are spot on, the super trippy ones elude me.

On nostalgia and changing, yes and no. I had a smoke of something in '74 that was out of this world. I do not think that was nostalgia and expect if I smoked it now it would do similar, though maybe somewhat less than what it did.

Simpson, you may find yourself doing what I am doing, going thru many different strains that might be from the time period and type of buds that you loved so much. You may never find it. I have gone thru many strains now and while I do have some like the Michoacan that are spot on, the super trippy ones elude me.

Probably... i'm thinking whatever I tried was pulling the lime from the Mexican. It's probably in that black lime reserve og cut. Probably would have to cross to a skunk 1 then select through a bunch of f2's and line breed it to get it where I want... dammit. :/

Probably worth it though.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
honestly, I think the 'easiest' way to go for creating something truly special is to go through as many Thunk seeds as possible and look for an elite cut to cross to blueberry.

You know for sure that the thunk is an original select cross by a legend. There has got to be fire worthy of the gods in there if one looks deep enough.

:D haha man, I grew thunk and it is very very hazy peppery, its what people call the pepper. and I thought you want skunky weed, not hazy? If you want seeds from Skunkman its not problem. and I think that sleestack x skunk1 could fit your needs, but I didnt grow it, so cant recommend it... I found this about sleestack: "Users describe the Sleestack high as a primarily cerebral high that leaves you sociable and uplifted. This bud has a slowly rising onset of a clear-headed energetic high that can have psychedelic tendencies if too much is consumed at one time." sleestak should be lemony as a schrom cross, so crossed with skunk should be all right for you.. seeds are available here, right from Skunkman: https://www.seedbay.com/product/sleestack-x-skunk-1/ and some pics of it: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6204261&postcount=11, looks limey green to me.. :D

funkyhorse

About Sleestack x Skunk I have questions:
1) The strain The Resinator sold by Seedsman is the same one offered by seedbay? Could you confirm all seeds sold by seedsman skunkman range have been done by Sam?

This is the strain description by seedsman:
The Resinator is easily one of the best hash producing strains that we sell. It has an acrid, deep hash flavor and is extremely resinous. This is a fast flowering strain which produces a clear, cerebral effect.

Similar to Skunk #1 this strain will grow in a classic Christmas tree like pattern. The resulting buds are dripping with resin.

Seedsman Skunkman Range, come exclusively from Sam the Skunkman the legendary breeder behind Cultivator’s Choice and Sacred Seeds.

Genetics: Sleestack x Skunk #1
Flowering Time: 8-9 Weeks
Harvest Month: October

2) Is Sleeskunk a collaboration between Sam and Chimera? Is the same strain?

Here you have some amazing pictures...i wanna try those white tips:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8820586&postcount=76

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I think its same variety sold by seedsman and DNA also. collaboration between skunkman, who delivered pollen probably and DNA seeds. it would be nice if zif could chime in and tell us if he found something lemony, as I read its citrus lemon hash flavor.. sure it will be acrid from skunk1--- "an aftertaste of citrus upon exhale" .. or: "She is great tasting particularly, lemony with a funk." or: "SleeStack’s incredible aroma make it a favorite among citrus lovers. It has a strong tangy scent complemented by a sweet lemon with a hint of diesel that fills the room once the buds are crushed. Its flavors mirror its smell: like herbal tea steeped in citrus water." thats what I read in reports.

:D haha man, I grew thunk and it is very very hazy peppery, its what people call the pepper. and I thought you want skunky weed, not hazy? If you want seeds from Skunkman its not problem. and I think that sleestack x skunk1 could fit your needs, but I didnt grow it, so cant recommend it... I found this about sleestack: "Users describe the Sleestack high as a primarily cerebral high that leaves you sociable and uplifted. This bud has a slowly rising onset of a clear-headed energetic high that can have psychedelic tendencies if too much is consumed at one time." sleestak should be lemony as a schrom cross, so crossed with skunk should be all right for you.. seeds are available here, right from Skunkman: https://www.seedbay.com/product/sleestack-x-skunk-1/ and some pics of it: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6204261&postcount=11, looks limey green to me.. :D

that sounds interesting. I've had skunk in things but never just skunk 1 that I knew for sure was skunk 1!

I almost feel like I need some reference points on different peoples take on skunk itself. Maybe there's something in plain ol' skunk I like even better?

About Sleestack x Skunk I have questions:
1) The strain The Resinator sold by Seedsman is the same one offered by seedbay? Could you confirm all seeds sold by seedsman skunkman range have been done by Sam?

This is the strain description by seedsman:
The Resinator is easily one of the best hash producing strains that we sell. It has an acrid, deep hash flavor and is extremely resinous. This is a fast flowering strain which produces a clear, cerebral effect.

Similar to Skunk #1 this strain will grow in a classic Christmas tree like pattern. The resulting buds are dripping with resin.

Seedsman Skunkman Range, come exclusively from Sam the Skunkman the legendary breeder behind Cultivator’s Choice and Sacred Seeds.

Genetics: Sleestack x Skunk #1
Flowering Time: 8-9 Weeks
Harvest Month: October

2) Is Sleeskunk a collaboration between Sam and Chimera? Is the same strain?

Here you have some amazing pictures...i wanna try those white tips:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8820586&postcount=76

"deep hash smell" is kind of a turn off for me there.

I think its same variety sold by seedsman and DNA also. collaboration between skunkman, who delivered pollen probably and DNA seeds. it would be nice if zif could chime in and tell us if he found something lemony, as I read its citrus lemon hash flavor.. sure it will be acrid from skunk1--- "an aftertaste of citrus upon exhale" .. or: "She is great tasting particularly, lemony with a funk." or: "SleeStack’s incredible aroma make it a favorite among citrus lovers. It has a strong tangy scent complemented by a sweet lemon with a hint of diesel that fills the room once the buds are crushed. Its flavors mirror its smell: like herbal tea steeped in citrus water." thats what I read in reports.

That description sounds a bit more promising.

I like other flavor spectrums too. The skunk x Hawaiian indica looks appealing to me from current offerings.

There's a part of me that really just wants to isolate that lime profile though and tune it to how I like it.

I guess I'm just kind of obsessing over what I know I like because I know I like it.

I loved the blueberry I used to get in the 90's but not really any of the crosses since or what ppl were claiming has been blueberry since. They all seem to know the history better than I do and can describe all those same aspects of the high but when it came down to it they never tried the 90's blueberry and were trying to convince me what they had was the same high just that the flavor was different. Tabacco and cocoa is how they'd describe it but it smelled like dirt, burnt coffee grounds minus the actual coffee smell and in it's place stale tobacco. I didn't like the high at all and it just seemed like generic low grade to me.

I was suggested haze once but when ever I came across haze offerings it was always either SSH of Jack Herrer and the Jack seemed far superior to me although I never liked it.

I assumed it was the Northern Lights I didn't like BUT it could be the shiva skunk was an older skunky skunk and it is that which I didn't like.

On the other hand I tried and unnamed bag that fit's the description of Sams' Haze, Like ground black pepper, and It was amazing. It got my higher than anything ever it was so clear headed and didn't give me paranioa like the Jack or the SSH.

That's the thing some of the best skunk crosses I've tried give me paranioa. Like Green Crack, Og Kush, ECSD, Jack Herrer, SSH, White Widow. I don't enjoy any of those.

So, I want that black pepper haze and the Limey skunk I loved. Both of those cuts were very sativa dominant highs without the paranoia so I know it is possible with the right selections.

You know a potential hybrid that might be bomb would be Ohaze x Deep chunk.

I tried deep chunk hybridized to GDP once and loved the profound comfort the Deep chunk provided. The head was completely clear too. I think the flavors and effects might compliment each other in interesting ways as well. Black Pepper, earth and charred wood.

man.

you know what?

I'm pretty sure Sam_Skunkman is just laughing at all of us. He's probably the only guy with enough experience to have a pretty solid idea of what all these strains actually are behind the marketing lore and hype while he watches a bunch of stupid trends come and go based on our bickering over any one of his many protoges marketing of his rebranded strains.

clearheaded

sleestack skunk is yes from sam and DNA. they released the "Skunk train" 7-8 years ago which they crossed most of the var Xskunk and gave away in a attitude xmass special. I was lucky enough to get skunk Xkandy kush og18 kushberry :) no sleestack tho. and year later several were for sale.

sleestack has long been one of DNAs favorite and wonderful hash maker however fell out of favor as everyone wants OGs