What's new

Question for Sam the Skunk Man: Lime Phenos in Skunk?

Happy Times

Limey- Chernobyl from TGA comes to mind. The one I got to try also leaned sativa in growth and effect although certainly was hybrid herb

Happy Times

It's not just that I remember a bunch of stuff that were from the 90's that were epic that are probably lost now.

The purples!

'the purps' from Jason Kings canabible lore was so unique. Dark purple airy little nugs that smelled like violets and a joyous serene high. Low potency but nothing else was hitting those notes and could have been hybridized with soma's Lavender and Dj's Blueberry then line bred to really shine.

A proper selection from Soma's Lavender was good too. What happened to that?

The various Urkle variations all around too like grape ape.

Even GDP … what happened to that?

All the ones I never even got to try.

There was heavenly stuff to be teased out of those mendo purple strains in hybridization but it just never happened because people were greedy and the market shifted.

Now they are gone?

I think BC Bud Depot still offers The Purps as a seed line, as does Soma with Lavender and GDP from GrandDaddy Purple Seeds

Can’t say if current seed lines will compare with what goodness you experienced from the past

I think BC Bud Depot still offers The Purps as a seed line, as does Soma with Lavender and GDP from GrandDaddy Purple Seeds

Can’t say if current seed lines will compare with what goodness you experienced from the past

it was rumored that soma's strains were being reproduced by someone else and they changed or something.

Same with gdp.. the guy doing the seed repros left granddaddy seeds and the rumors were he took his clones with him and then there reports of the quality of the seed stock went with it.

I'm not sure BC bud depot ever really had the purps strain of Jason King lore. I just happened to run into the dude randomly in mendo who's nugs were photographed.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
hey Schwinn, what about lemon skunk or its cross? also check trainwreck crosses like Happy Times suggested.. edit: there is cross of lemon skunk and cheese, lemon skunk is skunk1 x chitral and cheese is special pheno of skunk1: The aroma of Lemon Cheesecake is very musky and dank with a creamy skunky cheese and tangy lemon effect. The taste is a little less pungent, with a sweet creamy lemon flavor and hints of earthy nuttiness that's almost like an actual piece of lemon cheesecake.

Limey- Chernobyl from TGA comes to mind. The one I got to try also leaned sativa in growth and effect although certainly was hybrid herb

thanks for the suggestion. How many did you grow out?

have you ever tried well grown Arcata Trainwreck from the clone only?

That or Maybe Arcata trainwreck from multiple sources?

hey Schwinn, what about lemon skunk or its cross? also check trainwreck crosses like Happy Times suggested..

Yeah, I'm inquiring and looking into it. It seems interesting. Although I'm apprehensive because the Jacks cleaner strain of his I tried was mediocre. Not sure if it was due to an improper selection for a proper mother or because Subcool himself doesn't do proper selection work.

I've come across loads of trainwreck and while on par with the 'lime pheno' it was a pretty different type of high. On the other hand Sub Cools jacks cleaner, that I tried, was like a shit tier version of the 'lime pheno' so, the hybrid might be an improvement considering the quality of the train wreck clone and brought up to the level of the lime pheno with the same type of high... maybe.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
yeah subcool gear is known to be weaker, some of it, more focused on flavors. I wish you good luck with your research and if you find something interesting, let us know please. I am lover of lemony weed. I read your description of effect once more and have to admit, that while I grew tons of skunk 20 years ago and for example sensi super skunk was sweet musky hashy lemony burnt rubber skunky one - super skunk is in ecsd, I have never got effect you are talking about... it was always stony and kind of muddy effect for me.. after initial 20 minutes of being nicely high.. but people have different chemistry, so it can affect you differently. positive vibe effect you are talking about I got from mexican weed. fact is that 20 years ago everybody crossed skunk1 to everything, like now with fuely kush.. so it can even be some skunk crossed with lemon mexican who knows, something like acapulco gold x skunk. of course there are lemon phenos in skunk1. good luck.

I recall that Skunk you are talking about.

It’s Skunk #1, but I’m not sure if you can still find it...

Big fluffy, bright lime green buds.

Also, GDP is still around exactly how it was in the early 2000’s. The cut a Dispensary near me has is spot on.

rolandomota

Veteran
https://www.aceseeds.org/en/panamaxmalawistandard.htmlYou need ace Panama x malawi end of story. It's lemon high yield and fun high no I have not tried it but I can't get high with anything just some hash but we all now that it's not possible to always smoke hash for the average home grower.

I smoke all day every day I can't freaking quit for a day if I have weed so my goal is to grow the highest yield and most powerful high I can find I'm still searching because everything I have grown seems low or medium potency at best now I just need cure time to see if these strains are any good ....I feel that most people don't smoke all day every day so they find weed more powerful than I do I think I'm immune to weed because of how often I smoke and that makes me sad anyway I hope you find that lime green bliss

MindEater

Name drops by op:

Trainwreck,soma,gdp, purps, skunk, white widow,

But OG is mudbutt... Only limes you'll find lol

PS XXXXX goes by Pericosine_Sam these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name drops by op:

Damn.....

Thanks for schooling my ass.

Look, I know OG is the best strain out now and, yes, I'm an ungrateful idiot.

I just liked that 90's fluffy neon green stuff better. It made me happy. No strain ever made me happy like that before or since.

clearheaded

plenty of lavender in ALOT of breeders gear. caramel if i am not mistaken has lavender

trainwreck still kinda has that kushy myrcene tinge to it (from my expereince which isnt from cali).

as others mentioned perhaps get some JTR or grape lime ricky or many other TGA genetics as only recently did he start using OGs chems because market demanded it but likely not only because was an active type guy but because of his lung issues he stayed away from the harsh fuels. lemon cherry lime orange fruity hazey var in majority of his gear.

Name drops by op:

are you saying that I'm remembering the skunk wrong and there was never a lime pheno in the fluffy neon green stuff in the late 90's?

yeah subcool gear is known to be weaker, some of it, more focused on flavors. I wish you good luck with your research and if you find something interesting, let us know please. I am lover of lemony weed. I read your description of effect once more and have to admit, that while I grew tons of skunk 20 years ago and for example sensi super skunk was sweet musky hashy lemony burnt rubber skunky one - super skunk is in ecsd, I have never got effect you are talking about... it was always stony and kind of muddy effect for me.. after initial 20 minutes of being nicely high.. but people have different chemistry, so it can affect you differently. positive vibe effect you are talking about I got from mexican weed. fact is that 20 years ago everybody crossed skunk1 to everything, like now with fuely kush.. so it can even be some skunk crossed with lemon mexican who knows, something like acapulco gold x skunk. of course there are lemon phenos in skunk1. good luck.

TBH I don't have enough information to really have an opinion on all of subcools work. I didn't try the Jacks Cleaner actually either, it was Jack the Ripper. I just sampled some from a dispensary so I have no idea what selection process went into what I received from either the grower or the breeder. It seemed well grown and looked really frosty. Just something was kind of missing like it was a watered down version. It reminded me of a nirvana cali-o I sampled once compared to what was claimed to be the original cut.

I recall that Skunk you are talking about.

It’s Skunk #1, but I’m not sure if you can still find it...

Big fluffy, bright lime green buds.

Also, GDP is still around exactly how it was in the early 2000’s. The cut a Dispensary near me has is spot on.

Well, that is promising to hear! Yeah, you know I really don't know what it was other than what I was told. If it was skunk it might be some early version or middle version or late version or a cross.

I don't know if it was bred out of the line or it was a super rare exceptional pheno.

I only tried it the one day and about 20 years ago. I can't remember all the details too clearly anymore. I'm not a grower I'm just a dude that could use that kind of medicine in my life.

There might be more lemon or other citrus notes I'm not remembering too clearly anymore. What sticks out are my associations of it with 'neon' to it's look and the effects it had on me. I remember it being one of the best days of my life.

plenty of lavender in ALOT of breeders gear. caramel if i am not mistaken has lavender

trainwreck still kinda has that kushy myrcene tinge to it (from my expereince which isnt from cali).

as others mentioned perhaps get some JTR or grape lime ricky or many other TGA genetics as only recently did he start using OGs chems because market demanded it but likely not only because was an active type guy but because of his lung issues he stayed away from the harsh fuels. lemon cherry lime orange fruity hazey var in majority of his gear.

You know I wasn't a huge Lavender fan. I liked it because I felt it had part of the purple spectrum covered other purples I had tried didn't. Then again I'm not aware of the selection process on behalf of who ever popped the seeds. It did seem like a pretty good representation but maybe the fire was deeper in there?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
About 20 years ago or so I came across a bag of what I was told was skunk. The nugs were neon lime green like a tennis ball with orange hairs and it smelled like limes with maybe an underlying ginger note that turned the intensity of the smell up a few decibles.

These nugs had character, let me tell you, and somehow that neon element translated perfectly from the the look, to the smell n taste and the high itself. Like, a zooming vibratory ring that transformed ones face into a fixed shit eating grin. Everything was brighter, colors, sounds, and touch like every sense had been turned into a tickle trigger with nonstop silliness and laughter. The very definition of permagrin weed.

As Far as distinctness and bag appeal goes I'd say this was right up there with East Coast Sour Diesel but with a much more positive high.

Everyone's always losing their shit over the legendary road kill pheno but, man, this shit all over the road kill pheno and refined the nuggetry into some kind of neon lime alien candy.

So, Sam and anyone else familiar with skunk, was this skunk? Have you found phenos like this in skunk? Where can I find this again? What will it take for me to have this back in my life?

Thanks.

I had a killer lime pheno cross Thunk x Southern Lights:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8206329&postcount=561.

Happy Times

thanks for the suggestion. How many did you grow out?

have you ever tried well grown Arcata Trainwreck from the clone only?

That or Maybe Arcata trainwreck from multiple sources?

I only grew one Chernobyl, a cut a buddy shared with me. Not any kind of elite keeper pheno, he likes to pop a few of a lot of different kinds so this was just something that was passing through his room. She vegged like crazy but buds never filled in that hard, stayed kind of feathery on me in the backyard. Had a unique up high to it that I liked though.

I did get to try Trainwreck back around 2002, a friend in Blue Lake was running it and I was lucky to hang with him for a little while in the late stages of flowering and he was kind enough to hit me with a nice supply to bring home. Peppery ammonia is the first thing that comes to mind, the aroma and flavor weren’t my favorite but it’s just personal taste there. Do you like that Trainwreck-leaning lime flavor? If so I thought I saw Trainwreck F2 or S1 somewhere not too long ago, maybe on the Tude

Oh just remembered for the Wreck- Richard Williams version on HD maybe?

Happy Times

https://www.aceseeds.org/en/panamaxmalawistandard.htmlYou need ace Panama x malawi end of story. It's lemon high yield and fun high no I have not tried it but I can't get high with anything just some hash but we all now that it's not possible to always smoke hash for the average home grower.

I smoke all day every day I can't freaking quit for a day if I have weed so my goal is to grow the highest yield and most powerful high I can find I'm still searching because everything I have grown seems low or medium potency at best now I just need cure time to see if these strains are any good ....I feel that most people don't smoke all day every day so they find weed more powerful than I do I think I'm immune to weed because of how often I smoke and that makes me sad anyway I hope you find that lime green bliss

A little off topic, but given your search for most powerful high.... what are your favorites? Schwinn- sorry for the minor thread hijack