What's new

Question for Sam the Skunk Man: Lime Phenos in Skunk?

About 20 years ago or so I came across a bag of what I was told was skunk. The nugs were neon lime green like a tennis ball with orange hairs and it smelled like limes with maybe an underlying ginger note that turned the intensity of the smell up a few decibles.

These nugs had character, let me tell you, and somehow that neon element translated perfectly from the the look, to the smell n taste and the high itself. Like, a zooming vibratory ring that transformed ones face into a fixed shit eating grin. Everything was brighter, colors, sounds, and touch like every sense had been turned into a tickle trigger with nonstop silliness and laughter. The very definition of permagrin weed.

As Far as distinctness and bag appeal goes I'd say this was right up there with East Coast Sour Diesel but with a much more positive high.

Everyone's always losing their shit over the legendary road kill pheno but, man, this shit all over the road kill pheno and refined the nuggetry into some kind of neon lime alien candy.

So, Sam and anyone else familiar with skunk, was this skunk? Have you found phenos like this in skunk? Where can I find this again? What will it take for me to have this back in my life?

Thanks.

I mean I was told it was skunk and it had aspects to the scent I could detect in the road kill skunk I came across as well as Jack Herer and East Coast sour diesel.

So, I figured it was skunk.

That neon lime pheno to East coast Sour Diesel was sort of like what cali-o or tangie is to Albert Walker. Where Cali-o hones in and gives a really clear orange smell Albert walker has a lot of the background elements of cali-o and takes those in a different direction so I assume they are related.

I'm hoping it wasn't some super rare refinement on skunk inbreeding and is some 1 in 20 type of pheno.

It imbued the world around me with that neon vibratory element like a layer between my eyes and the world and it made the world look brighter and more vibrantly colored and some how hilarious. Like it made it so I could instantly find the humor in the world around me which created this amazing feedback loop where I became really silly and clownish.

clearheaded

... the one that got away. i doubt anything will life up to your vivid memory ;) perhaps was a "grapefruit" crossed with calio. the looks sounds like the california orange we used to see giant buds with lots of red hairs and a citrus smell.

J-Icky

Yeah my supposed skunk was a bright emerald green with fire engine red hairs. Was only available for a short time and have never seen anything like it again.
Mine had a distinct skunk smell but more fresh skunk spray than RKS. This was also in the late 90s long after the RKS was allegedly gone.

But thanks to a generous member here I was gifted a bunch of Sams Ancestral Skunk to do a seed run with to produce more viable stock but that will also eventually lead to my hunt for my Red Hair Skunk, as I’ve come to call her.

... the one that got away. i doubt anything will life up to your vivid memory ;) perhaps was a "grapefruit" crossed with calio. the looks sounds like the california orange we used to see giant buds with lots of red hairs and a citrus smell.

Well, for me, the 'golden age' of cannabis was the 90's. I was too young for the 80's. Then when diesel and OG kush took over everything went to mud butt in my opinion.

There was some great stuff from the 2000's I tried that I liked like GDP. There was great stuff from the 2000's I didn't like too. My issue is it's the stuff I didn't like that got blended into everything so I haven't really like anything since then.

Don't get me wrong I think some of the new varieties are great in their own right but it's just not my cup of tea. A proper Cookies representation and Glue are epic. I kind of liked the elite Blue Cookies clone. Same goes for Glue. There is probably some stuff I haven't tried either that I might like too like some of the offspring from Bannana OG.

I think it's a mistake to try to recreate the stuff I like from starting material that got muddied up though.

Let everyone jump on each new trend and do their thing I'm sure there is bound to be some stuff to come out of it I will like.

Just help me get The ingredients to create what I like though and that's some great material from the 90's. Heck some of it might really be 80's I don't really know for sure.

I'm sure there are people sitting on the ingredients but what are they waiting for?

For the market to shift back to that stuff when no one even knows what they are missing out on enough to care?

Corona Virus doesn't care how we feel and if no one that really loves that 90's stuff has the proper ingredients to select for it then it's gone forever.

It's not just that I remember a bunch of stuff that were from the 90's that were epic that are probably lost now.

The purples!

'the purps' from Jason Kings canabible lore was so unique. Dark purple airy little nugs that smelled like violets and a joyous serene high. Low potency but nothing else was hitting those notes and could have been hybridized with soma's Lavender and Dj's Blueberry then line bred to really shine.

A proper selection from Soma's Lavender was good too. What happened to that?

The various Urkle variations all around too like grape ape.

Even GDP … what happened to that?

All the ones I never even got to try.

There was heavenly stuff to be teased out of those mendo purple strains in hybridization but it just never happened because people were greedy and the market shifted.

Now they are gone?

Yeah my supposed skunk was a bright emerald green with fire engine red hairs. Was only available for a short time and have never seen anything like it again.
Mine had a distinct skunk smell but more fresh skunk spray than RKS. This was also in the late 90s long after the RKS was allegedly gone.

But thanks to a generous member here I was gifted a bunch of Sams Ancestral Skunk to do a seed run with to produce more viable stock but that will also eventually lead to my hunt for my Red Hair Skunk, as I’ve come to call her.

Yeah, I had a steady supply of that for a while. Like yours it was fresh skunk spray rather than dead skunk.

It was great and my favorite at the time.

I can smell similar in some of the gassy strains that have been popular for the last decade or so. I'm pretty sure what ever chemdog was is related to what was in "red hair skunk."

Although I liked that red hair skunk a lot more than all the gassy strains of the last decade. Similar to the how 'neon lime' compared to ECSD, 'red hair skunk' was just a way more positive high than all that gas.

I hope you find her dude. She was really special!

Happy Times

Well, for me, the 'golden age' of cannabis was the 90's. I was too young for the 80's. Then when diesel and OG kush took over everything went to mud butt in my opinion.

There was some great stuff from the 2000's I tried that I liked like GDP. There was great stuff from the 2000's I didn't like too. My issue is it's the stuff I didn't like that got blended into everything so I haven't really like anything since then.

Don't get me wrong I think some of the new varieties are great in their own right but it's just not my cup of tea. A proper Cookies representation and Glue are epic. I kind of liked the elite Blue Cookies clone. Same goes for Glue. There is probably some stuff I haven't tried either that I might like too like some of the offspring from Bannana OG.

I think it's a mistake to try to recreate the stuff I like from starting material that got muddied up though.

Let everyone jump on each new trend and do their thing I'm sure there is bound to be some stuff to come out of it I will like.

Just help me get The ingredients to create what I like though and that's some great material from the 90's. Heck some of it might really be 80's I don't really know for sure.

I'm sure there are people sitting on the ingredients but what are they waiting for?

For the market to shift back to that stuff when no one even knows what they are missing out on enough to care?

Corona Virus doesn't care how we feel and if no one that really loves that 90's stuff has the proper ingredients to select for it then it's gone forever.

Thought this might be up your alley

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=368760

A couple other companies I read about that have some old school genetics are Coastal and Dominion. No personal experience but there’s some relatively recent posts

I can remember other stuff to that I felt should have happened but didn't.

Like Bubblegum.

I thought that should have been hybridized with a fruity thai strain similar to 'fruity juice.'

I also remember the Banana strain before it was hybridized to OG and I think it would of been a perfect match being hybridized to that hypothetical Bubblegum x fruity thai.

But, no, banana was crossed to OG. *shaking my head*

It seems so obvious to me how these terpene profiles should combine.

I think people were thinking with potency, greed, and yield in mind when hybridizing rather than their nose. Just following whatever was trending at the time.

Thought this might be up your alley

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=368760

A couple other companies I read about that have some old school genetics are Coastal and Dominion. No personal experience but there’s some relatively recent posts

Thanks, but I think Bob Hemphill is a fan of Neville's G13 and NL crosses and he seems to breed that into everything. I'm not a fan of Neville's work as I, personally, don't like the effects.

I'm pretty sure chemdawg was some sort of g13 and RKS hybrid.

If that's the case then, imo, it's the g13 and NL that have ruined the cannabis gene pool for me, at least.

Which all leads back to Neville's vs Sam the Skunkman's preferences in the cannabis gene pool.

A lot of people will breed with stuff that Neville bred with or bred from because it has that raw potency it lends to the hybrids. I just don't happen to like the effects of any of that stuff.

I'm pretty sure, according to my nose and knowledge, that white widow is a northern lights skunk hybrid with kerela hybridized into it.

I hated White widow!

I sampled a primo selection of it too. It was kind ridiculously frosty AAA and smelled like ammonia but it creeped up on me and gave me a panic attack.

Amazing work but no thank you.

TheDarkStorm

Schwinn you wont find that skunk in seed no more...sam bred away from it..the smell was to strong...unless you can locate someone with a clone...the closest to that is the proper uk cheeze...but the effects arnt as happy an uplifting...it has that darker para edge coupled with the stonyness tho..its like the skunk your afters evil twin sister....or you might want to look into a good cali orange...if you can get something close to the original then that maybe of some use to you....or a good lemon skunk....those are probably as close as you'll get towards the spectrum you like in the skunk areas or maybe even a Hawaiian....some of the others you mentioned like gdp ect are still around as they wernt from too long ago so you may still be able to locate some of them...hope thats some help to you.

Schwinn you wont find that skunk in seed no more...sam bred away from it..the smell was to strong...unless you can locate someone with a clone...the closest to that is the proper uk cheeze...but the effects arnt as happy an uplifting...it has that darker para edge coupled with the stonyness tho..its like the skunk your afters evil twin sister....or you might want to look into a good cali orange...if you can get something close to the original then that maybe of some use to you....or a good lemon skunk....those are probably as close as you'll get towards the spectrum you like in the skunk areas or maybe even a Hawaiian....some of the others you mentioned like gdp ect are still around as they wernt from too long ago so you may still be able to locate some of them...hope thats some help to you.
Sam Bred away from the lime pheno or the skunk spray?

I'm not after the skunk spray or road kill skunk.

I'm after the lime and It was there in the late 90's early 2000's in clone form at least so there is no telling when the clone was from.

TheDarkStorm

Sam Bred away from the lime pheno or the skunk spray?

I'm not after the skunk spray or road kill skunk.

I'm after the lime and It was there in the late 90's early 2000's in clone form at least so there is no telling when the clone was from.

Yeah he kinda bred it further to the sweet side...but that may be wat your after...if you want to check it out he does recommend the pure from flying dutchman...unless you can still get some of the ancestral skunk he put out...some seeds may still be floating about...as far as I know the lime tip was showing up more in the earlest versions...dont seem like its easy to find nowdays at all .

Yeah he kinda bred it further to the sweet side...but that may be wat your after...if you want to check it out he does recommend the pure from flying dutchman...unless you can still get some of the ancestral skunk he put out...some seeds may still be floating about.

Yeah, it was definitely on the sweet side. Nothing like 7-up or sprite though. Just like lime on steroids with a hint of something like ginger maybe.

Do you have any experience with what's in the TFD skunk line?

or keepers to look out for?

TheDarkStorm

Yeah, it was definitely on the sweet side. Nothing like 7-up or sprite though. Just like lime on steroids with a hint of something like ginger maybe.

Do you have any experience with what's in the TFD skunk line?

or keepers to look out for?

Nah...sory..I only ever grew the older versions...but ive seen some nice chunky light coloured sort of luminous green buds coming from afew peoples grows of the pure...try an do a search on it here or on oogle an see if you can pull up any pictures or reports...il have a look for you too.

TheDarkStorm

Thers a thread here called " the pure, original skunk#1 fans thread" looks like thers tons of grow reports an pictures on it....it should help you out.

TheDarkStorm

More recent version of the pure
Lifted picture...not mine...

Attachments

• skunk11.jpg
    skunk11.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 42
Thers a thread here called " the pure, original skunk#1 fans thread" looks like thers tons of grow reports an pictures on it....it should help you out.

thanks, just read through it. I couldn't really confirm anything from that other than it is rumored that they changed what they are selling in the sensi seeds take over

Shoreline skunk or a solid cheese cut will tick most the boxes you are looking for.

a zoomy sativa dom high, that causes fits of laughter, makes the world and colors appear more vibrant and brighter in appearance with a lime smell?

what's shoreline skunk btw?

More recent version of the pure
Lifted picture...not mine...
thanks