Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Environmental (Take cuts and reset)

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Fake News (Pythium isn’t real)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Desert Dan

Veteran
Alrighty folks, I just had a few moms test dirty for Pythium. The question is can it be eliminated, out grown, out cloned, etc…

Or is Pythium systemic?

I have already been burned by hlvd and don’t want this stuff spreading to my other moms, but the infected plants are some of my favorites. All my moms are in individual coco hempy buckets with no shared runoff.

Thoughts?

-DD

Last edited:

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🦫 Special 🍆
maybe these too

Attachments

• fagro-03-796062.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • Pest Management Science - 2021 - Punja - Emerging diseases of Cannabis sativa and sustainable ...pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 13

Desert Dan

Veteran
Are you talking about the ol run of the mill Pythium? just cut out the dead roots and add mycorrhiza directly to the medium and/or to the nute solution. It worked for me.
Did it come back on later runs? I didn’t add any mucous this round come to think of it…

-DD

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
From Chat GPT. Sounds like you can outgrow.

Pythium is not typically classified as a systemic pathogen. It is primarily a soil-borne, water-borne, or surface pathogen that infects plants through their roots and lower stems. Pythium species cause diseases such as damping-off, root rot, and seed rot, impacting a wide range of plants, especially in moist conditions. The infection usually starts in the roots and may affect the lower stem, but it doesn't move extensively through the plant's vascular system in the way that true systemic pathogens do.

Management of Pythium involves cultural practices to reduce moisture levels, improve drainage, and use of fungicides specifically targeting Pythium. Biological controls and resistant plant varieties can also be part of an integrated disease management strategy.

Fusarium is systemic and fatal to plant.

If something very rare, apical meristem tissue culture can work even on fusarium and HLVD infected plants but extremely expensive, and takes upto a year. Have heard $10K.
I have the lab equipment to do it, but have not yet tried apical meristem, just nodal tissue culture. If interesting genetics, would try either/both for free. Nodal could take 6 months.

Ca++

It tends to live in the roots, and comes up the main stem. It's seen to a lesser degree in side branching, but it would be wishful thinking to take a cutting, and think it's not got there at all.
You could attempt some rapid sterile generations, to try and leave it behind. Or to turn one, and try to isolate yourself from it with a seed run. Ultimately you do have other plants though, and plants are not impossible to find. It's probably better to just let them go.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Pythium is environmental and comes from conditions not conducive to healthy plant growth. If a person has pythium it's from mismanagement of the plant environment.

Pythium blight is a water mold that can affect cool-season and warm-season grasses. It's most destructive in warm weather, especially when temperatures are between 85° and 95° F (29.4° - 35° C) and evening temperatures average 68° F or higher. Outbreaks are also more likely during humid periods when leaves stay wet for 12 to 14 hours for several nights in a row. Google

mudballs

Alrighty folks, I just had a few moms test dirty for Pythium. The question is can it be eliminated, out grown, out cloned, etc…

Or is Pythium systemic?

I have already been burned by hlvd and don’t want this stuff spreading to my other moms, but the infected plants are some of my favorites. All my moms are in individual coco hempy buckets with no shared runoff.

Thoughts?

-DD
"Pythium is almost impossible to 100% eradicate from an infected system; this involves starting completely over"
sorry, i do not come bearing gifts...i think I've seen it once...not sure. Plant did not survive. If i had this happen to me i think i would try alcohol foliars. Pythium is hyphea based mostly. From quick research you theoretically could outgrow it. Which means cloning, absolutely flawless environ and spray schedule. Good luck

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
It most likely came from fungus gnats. Typically their feet transfer the fungus from plant to plant. Eliminate the affected plants and kill the gnats. Go from there.

Plants that are affected do not usually recover and keeping them around is risking the rest of your plants.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran

Or is Pythium systemic?

Thoughts?

-DD
1. Overwhelm bad bacteria with good bacteria.
2. Control the water temperatures and if you have a tank, add a few drops of iodine (organic) or grapefruitseed extract, which is also used by water companies.
3. You should at least clone a few of the good branches, just for insurance. You can put the clones in some light H2O2 solution for a few minutes, to get rid of any bacteria on the surface.

1717585952110.jpeg

I really like having a bag of hempseeds around. It is ideal for creating fertilizer, for testing your seed cracking and handling skills, and to test out your germination procedure on cheap seeds.

1717585635190.jpeg

Unlike in this picture, you should fill the bottle all the way up the neck, so the sprouts are completely submerged.

1717585707630.jpeg

In the fermentation lock, add a little water with H2O2, to keep algae from forming.

This is usable after a week. And it's great stuff - you can use it as a main nutrient alongside compost/supersoil or just biocanna bio terra with some cow manure, at least through vegging. You can use it instead of clonex to clone in coco coir. In the first week, you'll think the clones have some horrible infection, however you'll notice that the leaves aren't affected. In the second week, you'll see the thickest, whitest roots you've ever seen. You know it's good if it smells nice like wine/lemonade/vinegar. If it smells rancid or mildewy, it's off and never use it.

However if you spray it on the plant, it tends to eliminate, within reason, bad bacteria.

It also causes roots to grow very thick on sprayed clones/mother plants.

Last edited:

Desert Dan

Veteran
So mixed opinions about it being systemic…

If it were hlvd or fusarium I would have scrapped them already, but everything tested clean with the exception of pythium. To complicate matters, it’s 3 of my favorites: Dogwalker, GG4, and Giesel!

They are not symptomatic otherwise. I may try to isolate them and out clone it.

-DD

mudballs

If it were hlvd or fusarium I would have scrapped them already, but everything tested clean with the exception of pythium. To complicate matters, it’s 3 of my favorites: Dogwalker, GG4, and Giesel!

-DD
You clone em, dip and sterilize, watever your new s.o.p. is, and soon as rooted get hyper fast growth...lower that lamp as low as possible...you want speed veg....then clone again, from very same clones you vegged out. The concept is you have mitosis (cell division) and plant growth outpacing the infectious organism.
Ex:it can only infect 100 nearby cells but you are in hyper veg and making 300 new cells...see what we're going for?
But there is no roots when you cut a clone, this is your only advantage really....you've halved your source of the problem and timing and sterility is everything.

mudballs

Your average infectious
Sporangia over 40µm diameter
Now phloem and xylem I.D. size can be 35-200µm diameter...yes pythium can be labeled systemic

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

-DD
If pythium were systemic id have lost all my genetics 5 years ago. No, take cuts, dial things in and youre fine. It might be systemic, but its not a death sentence.

Latest posts

Latest posts