• Systemic (Burn it down)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Environmental (Take cuts and reset)

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Fake News (Pythium isn’t real)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mudballs

"When applied to pesticides, the term systemic means that the chemical is soluble enough in water that it can be absorbed by a plant and moved around in its tissues."
Soo...in botany, systemic has a different definition?

Drop That Sound

You're best bet IMO is to air layer all the decent looking branches.. like yesterday. Gotta hurry before they start wilting off one by one, as the pythium will start to spread up through the stems like dark black infected veins. Once the fungus gnats catch wind of that yummy rot they will come swarming too!

If its that bad, I don't recommend wasting time gambling on taking small cuttings from a diseased plant you could potentially lose. Maybe take a few cuttings on the side, but..

I would AL as many good sized branches as you can now, and you should be very successful in saving your strains, and have multiple new mothers (big cloned branches) to pick from.

I've managed to save huge plants with root rot that way (my exhaust vent popped off and the res hit over 100 degrees for 2 days, like bath water!), and was able to root out more than 75% of the branches into all new plant clones. Even while the mothers root stalk was rotting away into sludge down in the res below for weeks (keep adding some bleach), while the layers rooted.. I only lost a few of them that were already bad off before I girdles the stems.

With AL, you usually don't wanna take more than 50% of a plant at once, but I knew it was dying anyway and still salvaged most of it.

Desert Dan

Veteran
I think it's a prison term

Dogwalker, GG4, and Giesel don't seem irreplaceable.

It's good to see you doing this testing
The problem is everyone says their room is clean, tested clean a year ago, etc…

If I can deal with pythium I’d rather do that than pick up some new problem. I’m just glad I tested clean for hlvd, fusarium, and haven’t seen a root aphid in almost a year:watchplant:

-DD

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
The problem is everyone says their room is clean, tested clean a year ago, etc…

If I can deal with pythium I’d rather do that than pick up some new problem. I’m just glad I tested clean for hlvd, fusarium, and haven’t seen a root aphid in almost a year:watchplant:

-DD
I bought 25 clones from 5 vendors over last 2 years. First I had a lot of great plants, but one came in with the borg, spider mites from warehouse grows that have become immune to everything. From constant spraying botrytis spread to them all, and lost all but Fatso. Since then about 18 and everyone had fusarium. Have a thread Are there any reputable clone vendors detailing where they came from and pictures.

I had grown GG4 since 2014 and got bored, only smoking that. Wish I still had it, but lost along with the others when botrytis hit.

LostTribe

Premium user
Alrighty folks, I just had a few moms test dirty for Pythium. The question is can it be eliminated, out grown, out cloned, etc…

Or is Pythium systemic?

I have already been burned by hlvd and don’t want this stuff spreading to my other moms, but the infected plants are some of my favorites. All my moms are in individual coco hempy buckets with no shared runoff.

Thoughts?

-DD
Its simply a pathogen and not systemic.

Its easy to do if you use the 1:10 bleach wash for 10 min and 3x rinse in sterile water then bag the clones in sterilized rooters and mat until rooted. Same as you would use on TC initiation protocol. The microcloner dude has a youtube on the rooters, basically you prep your clone solution and ph it then saturate the rooters. microwave them in a bowl until steaming, usually about a min on high. Then once cooled you take cuts with fresh gloves and sterile blade dip, plug, bag, set forget for about a week or so.

Youtube Dr Pk tissue culture walkthrough and exclude the 70iso for surficant pre bleach or you might be a bit of chloroform off gas. Helps to do in a still air box but not required.

Dr PK part 1 of 3

Ca++

Heating plant food is a common mistake. You are giving it the energy to convert some parts into insoluble compounds. It's usually seen where people try to mix powders using warm water. If the blocks are sterile through bleaching or such, and you feed from tap using pool shock, the heating really serves no useful purpose.

Remember cleaning them off isn't the whole story at all. The problem is inside them. All the clean area efforts in the world, are not addressing the problem directly. Perhaps the un-rooted cutting might suck up some cleaning fluid though. Aeroclone experts know the right amount of pool shock, that won't kill them, but does seem to stop problems. I feel this would be an important step.

Desert Dan

Veteran
Here is a tidbit of information I omitted from the original post…

I had 2 mothers of the Dogwalker tested and both tested hot! Separate containers, no shared runoff.

Some of my oldest cuts were clean, 8 out of 12. Makes me rethink the systemic thing, if you know what I mean?

-DD

Loc Dog

Veteran

I had 2 mothers of the Dogwalker tested and both tested hot! Separate containers, no shared runoff.

Some of my oldest cuts were clean, 8 out of 12. Makes me rethink the systemic thing, if you know what I mean?

-DD
They say HLVD can be dormant. Fusarium goes wild over 80F. Probably best to grow out at low temps, and take very top cut for clones, and make small clones.

Ca++

-DD
Might you of gone between them taking cuts, with the same tools?
Susceptibility must also be on your mind.

mudballs

Yeah i don't know enough about AL, heard of it, seen it...but never looked into...would like to learn and hear more also

Loc Dog

Veteran
Yeah i don't know enough about AL, heard of it, seen it...but never looked into...would like to learn and hear more also
I use chat gpt website for AI. Biased on some questions, and will avoid some topics, but really good info returns on most topics.

mudballs

I use chat gpt website for AI. Biased on some questions, and will avoid some topics, but really good info returns on most topics.
No AL stands for Air Layering...it's where you make a branch section root before cutting branch

Desert Dan

Veteran
Might you of gone between them taking cuts, with the same tools?
Susceptibility must also be on your mind.

This could be true… I may have used the same scissors on the same strain to take snips, but never in the root zone.

I certainly used separate, clean tools while collecting test samples as it was a separate test. I guess the only way I’ll know is to take cuts, reset, and test again.

“BRO” science, ya feel me! By way of Repeated Observation!
:microwave:

-DD

mudballs

Since we're dealing with a pathogen that can be on surface and in plant, im not sure this is an ideal approach but as i said i don't know enough about it yet and should hear input from others first with more knowledge