• Systemic (Burn it down)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Environmental (Take cuts and reset)

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Fake News (Pythium isn’t real)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

eastcoastjoe

Alrighty folks, I just had a few moms test dirty for Pythium. The question is can it be eliminated, out grown, out cloned, etc…

Or is Pythium systemic?

I have already been burned by hlvd and don’t want this stuff spreading to my other moms, but the infected plants are some of my favorites. All my moms are in individual coco hempy buckets with no shared runoff.

Thoughts?

-DD

You showing any symptoms at all ? I’ve never used this but if I were in you’re shoes, I’d consider trying this before I made any major decisions.
Someone I respect a lot has made some pretty bold claims about how effective it is against killing certain diseases.

Desert Dan

Veteran
You showing any symptoms at all ? I’ve never used this but if I were in you’re shoes, I’d consider trying this before I made any major decisions.
Someone I respect a lot has made some pretty bold claims about how effective it is against killing certain diseases.

I’ll try to snap some side by side pics of root zones tomorrow… I just started implementing some recharge, which has trichoderma and mycos.

-DD

eastcoastjoe

I’ll try to snap some side by side pics of root zones tomorrow… I just started implementing some recharge, which has trichoderma and mycos.

-DD

Note the concentration differences. If my math is correct, root shield has 100,000,000 Cfu per gram of trichoderma vs 250,000. Huge difference !!

Drop That Sound

Air layering is the most ancient master cloning technique to exist. The most successful way to propagate plants, hands down. For 1000s of years or more, up until they taught you that taking tiny cuttings is somehow better, so you buy way more products and gear, lol.. I got a thread on it here on the mag somewhere, but would definitely need to update it, as I have experimenting with all new state of the art methods, like testing out hydroponic AL pods ( including DWC and aero misters, and even have a much simpler gravity or pump drip feed IV bag system to auto water them if needed). Awe yeah!

Anyway, when you girdle the stem it cuts off most the supply pathways back down to the roots, so afaik its harder for the pathogens to spread upwards and cause branches to wilt and die off. You cut away part of main the connection to the roots, and so how can osmosis take place to suck the pathogen up further? It can't, right?.

So, You provide new fresh medium via the layer, which isn't all infected like down below in the roots/container... which probably did come from gnats btw, or just overall humid conditions.. so you best take care of them before they keep spreading it everywhere else too, including crawling into the new air layer mediums you just wrapped up above!

Even though the branch is still connected to the mom via the inner stem with an infected root stock, the clone will still have a better chance than without. The mother plant can still basically keep nurturing it along in other ways, even with advanced root rot.
I guess the main point would be to salvage most of the mother plants that are infected back into a new larger mother, without taking a few cuts and throwing it all out. You should easily be able to outgrow and wipe out the pathogens as long as you get rid of the main root stock and infected medium down below. I would get rid of all the medium on all the plants that may have gnats or whetever, and take the biggest clones possible to dunk in a tub of calhypo or bleach water and start over with. even a fan can blow some coco from one pot to the other, or leaves that gnats crawled on can fall down into the other trays, etc. Thats the way I see it anyway.

You would think its inevitable to pickup pythium at some point, especially keeping a plant around for long periods of time in some kind of medium like that. Honestly, If I had some test pop up but only on a few mothers, and not on the new clones from it that were given a chance to grow for a bit, i wouldn't worry much unless it was obviously killing off plants. How do you know the test isn't showing a false positive anyway, or that the lab didn't clean their own tools? Isn't there e threshold for the amount of pythium present anyway? and always some tiny amount would show up?