What's new

Purple Zamal x A5 Haze

Shua1991

20240618_155705.jpg
The A5 haze phenotypes are showing sex a little bit later, I'm now 2 weeks from taking clones and 3 weeks from flower. I've topped nearly every plant to give them a wider profile and to see which plants respond to training well and which don't.
20240618_155649.jpg

Strawberry/sandalwood smelling female
20240618_155506.jpg

Liver-funk a5 smelling pheno
20240618_155357.jpg

Strawberry and spice Purple Zamal pheno, my favorite smelling of the this pheno hunt. It behaves more like a heirloom plant, slightly more nutrient sensitive, I hope it smokes as nice as it smells.
20240618_155307.jpg

Oranges, carrots and armpits/onion stank. This phenotype I would like to make an orange scented polyhybrid with, I've wanted a flavorful sativa with orange scents, I couldn't get the flavor right when growing the Golden Tiger "mandarin orange" phenotypes, a bit too floral and bitter, this one and another sweet and spicy orange pheno are looking like the contenders for that role in my garden.

I have a few males now in this veg room that I want to use on these but it will be 5 months before I can know which phenotype smokes best and is stable to breed with.

This is a long selection process but I expect great things 👍

Shua1991

20240622_231637.jpg

Nail polish remover smells growing extra strong on this plant #12
20240622_231807.jpg

Pomegranate and Carrot juice smells, mild peppery.

I've read on these forums about potentially using "L-Tryptophan" on plants to revert back to veg/ maintain vegetative state in photo-period plants, I want to see if it works on these (Purple Zamal x A5Haze).

a few appear to be entering preflowering (under 24/0) before end of june, so mid October harvest outdoors seems tenable. I see roots at the base of 2 pots, maybe a week left before transferring into 2 gallons for outdoors.

I've started following a tip from KC (of KC Brains) where you dilute carbonated spring water( Magnesium/Calcium/Potassium/Sulfate/Silica/CO²) One with near zero sodium, all my plants seem to be loving it, no burns yet on any and they seem to be rooting faster and showing no glaring deficiencies, some looked a little rough two weeks ago after transplant, the shock and maybe new soil ph had them clawing a few days.

Last edited:

Shua1991

20240625_065756.jpg

Still building roots after transfer to 1 gallons, but a few took to growing more bushy, while most are simply putting most growth to tops/beanpole growth post FIM/topping.

i see a few more are showing purple stems upon maturity/sexing, as pointed out the smells are getting more complex, garlic smells developing on 2 of the funkier plants.

Shua1991

Today is transfer day, all PZxA5h will be repotted from 1 gallon into 2 Gallon pots for another week and a half.

the IBL/heirloom style growth on a few is undeniable, theyre like pck in that regard, probably PZ heavy phenotypes.
20240704_105325.jpg

20240704_105421.jpg

20240704_105504.jpg

20240704_105359.jpg

The heavy preflowering a5 Haze are getting knocked up via leftover pollen from the previous grow it seems, I'll germinate these if they form mature developed seeds, these will be flowering outdoors, not indoors so it shouldn't be an issue for the next week and a half before transferring outside into 5 for the first month of flowering, then into 10 gallons for the final 2 months. I expect this hybrid to perform better when it can still develop roots in flowering, and may help prevent excessive stretch. I want 6 ft tall plants outdoors, maybe a bit higher.

Shua1991

20240715_001942.jpg

These are going outdoors tonight, by next weekend I expect them to be flowering.

Clo es have been taken each individual clone is marked

I have 2 strawberry phenotypes and 2 orange phenotypes, 2 mango carrot, A few garlic stank and a few fuel and pine smelling, only 1 plant is low odor, likely not a keeper, overall I'm enjoying the slight variations.

Last edited:

Shua1991

20240717_161322.jpg

🌞

high temps around 95, high humidity (60%+) Sun and mild rainshowers, the winds are testing the stem and base of most of these plants, I'll stake them tonight if they need it, a few phenotypes don't appear to. I see roots building on most "pots", I think another week until transfered in- ground, the temps are getting too high for my liking for exposed root systems, in-ground they remain cooler. There's an awful amount of blights going around new york, so if any of these excel in this environment I would give them priority for preservation. I see the purple zamal phenotypes are more adept at transitioning outdoors. Purple stems are also reproducing the most roots, appear to be building root systems before stretching.

Cactus Squatter

Had my last PZ x A5 run get a little out of hand due to being away too much. Didn’t want to even attempt to really trim everything as some got a little too close to the lights and foxtailed hard, so… ice hash it is!!!
Most of it will be pressed into rosin, but some will go into capsules.
Has a very fuely smell with hints of sour orange and a real slight strawberry smell (the mostly auto female had a really nice strawberry smell but she just wouldn’t revert to veg unfortunately. She was a heavier yielder out of the 5 as well).

I hit a little bit of it this afternoon to sample. Extremely spacey like the one I ran outdoors last year.
You ever stand in front of your dog’s crate, close the door on it, and then have your wife ask you if you’re actually going to put the dog into the crate first? Yeah. Dog was sitting on the couch staring at me like I’m some kind of idiot.

Attachments

• IMG_3615.jpeg
    IMG_3615.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23

Cactus Squatter

Squished a little rosin today from the Purple Zamal x A5 hash. I’ve lost count of how many sheets I’ve pressed so far this morning. I’m about to go eat lunch so I took a break, have another 2-3 presses to go before the PZa5 is finished.
From the prime screen
IMG_3635.jpeg

From the bottom screen
IMG_3634.jpeg

Super easy to work with. Right off the press you can roll it up on a tool and stick it in a jar.
Once cool it starts to get a little shattery but I didn’t have to chill anything to work with this.

My camera and lighting aren’t getting the color exactly right. It’s much more gold/blonde colored in person. There’s a very interesting floral/citrus smell. The fuel is gone at the moment.

The 2 little sample dabs I’ve had off the rims of the little jars is very interesting. I didn’t use a fresh dipper tip so I won’t comment on flavor, but the effect is very nice.
Extremely spacey with some noticeable depth perception shifts that occur in little jumps. Colder body effect, I don’t have any of the “warm enveloping hug” feeling I get from Panama, Bangi, Zacatecas or any strains like that. This one doesn’t nicely force you to be its cuddle buddy like those strains will, but it’s not a freaky bastard either. No raciness, nothing uncomfortable, no speedy feel like a Malawi can bring. No dirty feeling either like I get from a Malawi.
This has a very tingly chilly feeling on my shoulders, neck and arms kinda like hair standing on end but with the muscles involved a little too. It’s got some good body sway to it but I don’t feel like sitting around being lazy. Kinda feels like journey weed and I should take a hike somewhere, but it’s freaking 119° currently so I’m stuck inside.

Hopefully we see a return of this cross as at least a limited edition or something. It’s one of the more unique plants I’ve tried in the last few years and definitely has some trippy effects to it. Definitely one of my favorite plants to grow as far as structure, behavior and not giving a single shit about pests, heat or fungus when I ran it outdoors.

Zero mold on any of the plants I’ve run inside or out.

Shua1991

the only intersex expressing plant was culled, down to 17/18. Not a bad ratio thus far, I expected 3-4 by the end of flower to be unusable(one per pack). I luckily had some leftover pollen, a male i selected a few months back, and they took!

IDK if I am alone in this observation, but I've noticed if you lightly pollinated a plant that would ordinarily be prone to intersex traits(stamen/banana production in the absence of pollination) it behaves as if there are males in the area and often times doesn't trigger the stress related stamen production.

This isn't true for early displaying intersex plants, any plant that shows both sexes in veg should be tossed.

IMG_20240721_092524.jpg

Another note: The phenotypes with neon green stigmas turn a deep sunset orange post pollination, which I find really nice.

paisajedehierba

Last summer I grew two PZam x A5 ladies (#130). My favorit was a lanky Purple Zamal leaning mother with orange smells and fairly long lasting energetic and psychedelic effects. I had pollinated her in very early flowering stage with some dust of a Golden Tiger 80% (F2 auto) male.
The pictures show an overview of three (out of 10) ladies of the resulting F1 offspring, that are selected toward those long zamalish/african pistils. One lady is also very similar to her Purple Zamal leaning mother regarding the lanky growth and flower/leaf structure. I will continue to work with this girl in F2 generation.

Attachments

• 3x (PZam x A5) x (GT80 - F2 auto) (F1) ...front left is Zamal Bliss.JPG
    3x (PZam x A5) x (GT80 - F2 auto) (F1) ...front left is Zamal Bliss.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 33
  • (PZam x A5) x (GT80 - F2 auto) (F1) pheno with long african pistils and lanky growth very clos...JPG
    (PZam x A5) x (GT80 - F2 auto) (F1) pheno with long african pistils and lanky growth very clos...JPG
    925.6 KB · Views: 34
  • (PZam x A5) x (GT80 - F2 auto) (F1) pheno with long african pistils and lanky growth (2).JPG
    (PZam x A5) x (GT80 - F2 auto) (F1) pheno with long african pistils and lanky growth (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Shua1991

Last summer I grew two PZam x A5 ladies (#130). My favorit was a lanky Purple Zamal leaning mother with orange smells and fairly long lasting energetic and psychedelic effects. I had pollinated her in very early flowering stage with some dust of a Golden Tiger 80% (F2 auto) male.
The pictures show an overview of three (out of 10) ladies of the resulting F1 offspring, that are selected toward those long zamalish/african pistils. One lady is also very similar to her Purple Zamal leaning mother regarding the lanky growth and flower/leaf structure. I will continue to work with this girl in F2 generation.
That's a nice combo, I found a few orange/Mandarin phenotypes in Golden Tiger in all of the versions I've grown, I always believed it was from the Thai but it turns out the Thai genetics have been swapped and the orange phenos remain, it's recessive from the "Killer Malawi" so it seems the Malawi and purple Zamal have similar ability to produce orange smelling phenos, the purple Zamal has a sweet and gassy orange profile while Golden Tiger was bitter/citric Mandarin Orange.

paisajedehierba

That's a nice combo, I found a few orange/Mandarin phenotypes in Golden Tiger in all of the versions I've grown, I always believed it was from the Thai but it turns out the Thai genetics have been swapped and the orange phenos remain, it's recessive from the "Killer Malawi" so it seems the Malawi and purple Zamal have similar ability to produce orange smelling phenos, the purple Zamal has a sweet and gassy orange profile while Golden Tiger was bitter/citric Mandarin Orange.
Hi Shua, the smells of +/- orange are very charming. Those on the "pure" Purple Zamal x A5 have changed in my jars to grapefruit and mint. The origin of orange notes (one aspect of the chemotype) of the ripening buds on the plant is probably A5, alltough the phenotypic expression is Zamal dominant. Dubi mentioned in the discription of Zamaldelica breeders pack, which includes Purple Zamal x Zamaldelica, that "Purple Zamal is not fruity or sweet at all. ... It´s terpine profile is woody with floral touches of violet petals." The fruity (mango-carrot) smelling Zamal line (in Zamaldelica) is different ... not as large, faster ripening.
... Your PZam x A5 plants are progressing very good. Hope your optimism regarding the finishing time will be rewarded.

Shua1991

That is the orange fuel phenotype, it reacted the best to training, bushes out really well. 1/3 clones rooted. The other two withered away, but I only need 1 to keep in veg.

Shua1991

20240806_113608.jpg
I'm pollenating this Strawberry🍓 bushy phenotype with a -semi autoflowering male I just found in my male tent, hopefully a bunch of quick flowering semi-autoflowering offspring should be the result. About 1-2 weeks to go before I do. These plants are really resilient, they just got rained on for a few days and seem to not be bugged by the whole thing. Stretching even more now after transfer, 6ft plants seems possible by the end of flower.