What's new

Pure Thai Sativas

Holeshot51

My few cents on the subject.
As far as I have heard and tried. Most of the black Thai plants were grown at higher altitudes and not the low lands.Which often turned them purple black And that the best way to carry it and store it was to compress it . ( also made it eas to export).
It was often picked early as well. So the effects were instant and strong.
I remember my first experience with it in my late teens . I had been smoking since I was 14 on a regular basis. A friends father who was Thai . Had smuggled back.
He had about 10 small flat rectangular brown dirt looking sticks . They were wrapped in a small organic looking string.
It had very little smell, faint sweetness.
Two sticks were sort of broken apart in a bowl. He took one small flat looking piece . I said get more that won’t be enough.
That small piece fluffed up quite a lot. We both had a very small 1/3 cone in a pipe.
I seriously believe it was laced with opium or something. I’ve never had weed that strong . I was in an other dimension for a long long time.
I tried some a few years later from the same guy. It looked very similar, but you could tell that it hadn’t been cured as long.
It was strong but not near as strong as the first one.
I know from growing now for 30 y that those tropical sativas are great after about 3 months cure in good conditions . Even after a month , they start to really get there chlorophyll out and mature the terps

romanoweed

but if the first sample was around or before 1980, and the secound was after 1980, then the quality dropped anyway significant. (roundabout then)
hence im not shure if the curing was the whole reason.

enjoy curing thaiweed guys

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
but if the first sample was around or before 1980, and the secound was after 1980, then the quality dropped anyway significant. (roundabout then)
hence im not shure if the curing was the whole reason.

enjoy curing thaiweed guys
the best thai we got was in 84 and 85 ,
it wasnt on a stick , just loose golden buds ,
some strong weed indeed ...
better than the brown colored stuff we got on sticks in the early 80s ,

1980 was just when they really started cracking down on the pot there ,
there was still good stuff to be found , not like everyone threw their seeds out the window the same day or anything ....

romanoweed

i think even i may preffere cured thai, thai is (was) very fierce.

3 years cured vietblack was a cool experience, took away the edgy side from the northern Vietnamese in the cross, the world looked transparent, and a bit dark. Im not super fan of the dark touch it adds, but the potency is great, and the rounding of the edge is great.

Holeshot51

i think even i may preffere cured thai, thai is (was) very fierce.

3 years cured vietblack was a cool experience, took away the edgy side from the northern Vietnamese in the cross, the world looked transparent, and a bit dark. Im not super fan of the dark touch it adds, but the potency is great, and the rounding of the edge is great.
I love the smell of cured Thai, and racy upbeat trippy experience

Podenco

My first priority when growing something new from a small amount of seeds I've gotten is to make more seeds. That way I have plenty to save and work with going forward.
I do the same. I grew 6 RSC Kerala and let all males pollinate all females. I have enough seeds now to play for years. I do make notes which female was the best (fastest, most resin) and then use that preferably.

P

Old Uncle Ben

Howdy!

I did Thai sticks too, sourced from Houston in the early 70's. It was devastating even inducing a high hangover the next day.

FWIW, I just received Golden Tiger X Panama from Mandala Seeds. I know this thread is about pure Thai but like my Dalat Vietnamese I don't have the patience (at my ripe old age of 73) to put up with the nuisances and challenges of pure landraces like Thai. For starts, they take forever to finish. The flowering response is dependent on chronological age, not photoperiod.

Ace has done a lot of work on this one. Also got the Panama X Malawi. These should be the finest pure sativa hybrids with a devastating trippy high.

Uncle Ben
Mandala Seeds Jan 21#3.jpg

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Ben ^^ The hangover could have been from opiated sticks? Not possible according to experts here...

The RSC Laos 4 might get you close to what you had back in the old days. Not devastating exactly, but the old vibe is there. Trippy and all in the head. I took mine down at 96 days with 9 hour lights on cycle.

Old Uncle Ben

Very nice. Good on ya for meeting the challenge.

Yeah, those sticks were probably dipped in opiates.

I still have some old Mex bag weed seeds, seeds collected from the best we smoked back then, under refrigeration. Talking 80's and 90's stock.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hahaha ,, unlikely men ,
very very unlikely , unless u wasted your weed by putting opium on it yourselves ,
then you would understand what a silly idea it was .. lol ...

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do not argue with Mallard, expert he is. I have no opinion of opiates, the only Thai I had, got taken before I could smoke it. hehe

I would go for landrace from RSC or similar. The stuff you listed has been worked a bit. More potent for most of it, but at what cost to original effect?

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Do not argue with Mallard, expert he is. I have no opinion of opiates, the only Thai I had, got taken before I could smoke it. hehe

I would go for landrace from RSC or similar. The stuff you listed has been worked a bit. More potent for most of it, but at what cost to original effect?
i like to deal in facts rather than urban myths like some people thats all yesum
and i have studied thai cannabis at length , enough to know the opiate additives claim is simply that , an urban myth ,
i would never claim to be an expert , but im betting my experience is a lot broader than yours....

Chi13

ICMag Donor
The Thai sticks I had were the opposite of an opiate type high. I think the opium dipped sticks is just rubbish. Makes no logical sense and more trouble than it's worth. There was an interview with someone involved smuggling these sticks who also said the opium dipping was a myth.

It's well worth taking the time to grow an old sativa. You won't get high like it from modern hybrids.

moose eater

the best thai we got was in 84 and 85 ,
it wasnt on a stick , just loose golden buds ,
some strong weed indeed ...
better than the brown colored stuff we got on sticks in the early 80s ,

1980 was just when they really started cracking down on the pot there ,
there was still good stuff to be found , not like everyone threw their seeds out the window the same day or anything ....
Yes, 1983/1984 Red Buddha Thai.

Nexus7

Hi Ben ^^ The hangover could have been from opiated sticks? Not possible according to experts here...

I know hempy reports of a hangover the next day when smoking his '78 Thia line so maybe it's just trait of a good thai stick?

A few guys around here would smoke opium laced weed back in the day (mid-late 90's) but usually of their own doing. Occassionally you would hear reports of numerous experiend tokers passing out after smoking and believing it was opium laced. Lots of smack around here in those days so maybe dodgy dealer trying to get others addicted?

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
The Thai sticks I had were the opposite of an opiate type high. I think the opium dipped sticks is just rubbish. Makes no logical sense and more trouble than it's worth. There was an interview with someone involved smuggling these sticks who also said the opium dipping was a myth.

It's well worth taking the time to grow an old sativa. You won't get high like it from modern hybrids.
agreed ,,
your not going to get that nice up high on opiates ..

certainly worth the effort too i think , the way those sativas can bend your mind ,
in both a good and bad way , just doesnt seem to happen on the modern hybrids ,
cerebral/ mind-altering and very euphoric stuff, that stimulates areas modern stuff just doesnt seem to reach..

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
^^ Agreed. When you get kick ass pot and have been smoking only rather weak stuff, it could make you wonder if someone messed with it. Had heard similar with super good sativas causing trippy effects and the newbies wondering if it had LSD in it. hehe
yep im sure that happens ,
also with a new cannabinoid profile one hasnt tried before ,
it can hit quite hard , if one adds low tolerance and set/setting to the mix ,
things can get pretty wild sometimes ...