What's new

Pure Thai Sativas

Hmong

Veteran
stanley-the-office.gif

20221114_170033 (Kopie).jpg

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I agree, but wait 'till the pollen starts flying from all these new growers (which it will). If they are not careful they will lose what they have. The market will dictate American hybrids which most tourists under age 55 will want. The old varieties will be a niche market unless tastes change drastically.
The grows for flower wont be a problem because they want seedless the problem will come from the hemp crops but moisture kills pollen so hopefully the high humidity will lessen the impact of that.

Best way around that will be to re produce seed indoors or inside a greenhouse.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
The grows for flower wont be a problem because they want seedless the problem will come from the hemp crops but moisture kills pollen so hopefully the high humidity will lessen the impact of that.

Best way around that will be to re produce seed indoors or inside a greenhouse.
It's the amateur growers that worry me, and with a million plants handed out there will be plenty. Pollen travels miles, and Thailand has quite low humidity during the dry season. YOu are right though; the stuff for tourists will have to be seedless, maybe even indoors (which beggars belief for somewhere like Thailand).

Yes, I hope that they do preserve by moving into a screened greenhouse or even indooors. Hopefully the growers hoping to preserve the old stuff will know what they're doing.

Whatever happens the current situation is way better than it being illegal and holds out at least some promise of old strain preservation.

Hmong

Veteran
Worth it at the end tho looks like a special line.

lines
the first pics are Hmong Hilltribe and the seeded one, is a frosty Laos pheno.

now with Thailand legal, I very much feel like at the wrong place, at the wrong time^^
I honestly don't enjoy growing them indoors, it's more a necessary chore to preserve the genetics.

Cardy

Hi
Everyone ,I am new here,
I have run Thai's alot in Australia for 30 years most are best at 16-22weeks 40 weeks is abnormally weird and so.ethings wrong (that's 10 months) you sure you don't mean from seed took 40 weeks? and if left in a mild temperate or further north to the equator zone they will just continue, and become fluffier and foxtail alittle ,but then reveg .Nice line mate, keep them pure... reserve some not to be crossed.Otherwise once there gone there gone. And there not as dominant against alot of crosses you will make against them. And as mentioned in a previous post it's all about the cure with Thais it gets better with age , cure them for at least as long as they took to flower.And as I found out many times making oil off these from fresh frozen or even well cured tops, will devastate any veteran and there is where the mystery trip weed is !!! Fact, a Durban cross helps reduce the flower time a little and isn't so dominant like some crosses.They benefit from my experience being topped alot rather than having a few huge long thin colas ..you get many smaller thumb sized or double thumb length ones..and I find they are better smoke than the giant ones. Best of luck preserving them ...How's it all in 2022

Cardy

I remember in the early 70's taking Thai Sticks apart slowly and looking at the herb it was made of and I found male flowers. I used to find a seed every now and then to.
These plants are naturally hermi and hermi does not mean it's worthless as medicinal/recreational herb or breeding material to me anyway. I think it's good to reproduce away from hermi if possible, but we need to consider that hermi is natural and OK in some situations. It's the plants way of survival and anything living will use whatever is at it's disposal to survive.
Correct.... most Thais grown out in principle have a tendency to herm its very common and one way to acknowledge you have the real thing.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I would be more concerned about pollen coming from the industrial hemp crops as the flower crops will be seedless as seedy weed wont cut it.

If people want to avoid cross contamination they have the option of a greenhouse or indoors for breeding and preserving genetics.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
lines
the first pics are Hmong Hilltribe and the seeded one, is a frosty Laos pheno.

now with Thailand legal, I very much feel like at the wrong place, at the wrong time^^
I honestly don't enjoy growing them indoors, it's more a necessary chore to preserve the genetics.
I like outdoors my self and planting directly into the ground but in a non legal environment you do what you need to.

The last few years year out doors has been a complete fail here both indoors and out work to produce good smoke.

funkyhorse

The trend seems to be worldwide. People from landraceland want to smoke western hybridized weed and westerners want to smoke pure thai
I am afraid whatever is left of Thai genetics are being preserved out of Thailand by farang and everything in Thailand will get pollinized and lost if it is not already lost unless you grow in closed greenhouses

Moist pollen will not fly but will make seed. Pollen seems to be hydrophobe. I left on purpose pollen in a jar for 3 days in the greenhouse, it was real moist when I applied it and it made seed no problem

Because of the Northern Thai 2008 I set up an electricity plug and I am cloning outdoors now, indoors this strain goes intersex outdoors seems to be the way to keep them happy
They make roots in 12 days on average without using any Clonex nor chemicals, just place a healthy branch there and magic roots happens
Outdoor cloning.jpeg
N Thai clones.jpeg

N thai 2008 girl 3 cut got a companion as soon as she touched soil
N Thai fem 3 cut.jpeg

Thighland

I would find it hard to believe that Thai stick had any CBD to speak of. I take CBD a lot and know the effects and it is nothing like Thai stick.

And wtf are those sticks in that video? Wish I could understand Thai.
I would tend to agree with you, understanding Thai would be helpful because they didn't mention Thai stick. I did, but that was in relation to the province famous for it's production. This is where Tiger's Tail hails from.

Thighland

I agree, but wait 'till the pollen starts flying from all these new growers (which it will). If they are not careful they will lose what they have. The market will dictate American hybrids which most tourists under age 55 will want. The old varieties will be a niche market unless tastes change drastically.
I'm a few years short of 55 and don't want the American hybrids, but I'm not a tourist. Much of the hybrid in dispensaries is claimed to be from the US, it looks and smells great, but unfortunately doesn't get you stoned.

It's also very expensive, starting at around $15 a gram, with local grown being a few cents. Already there are imports from neighboring countries that have been trimmed properly and not compressed. They still have a way to go, but the climate here favors outdoor, it's just that the rich kids running the show haven't realized this. They've been told outdoors is for nostalgic old timers, it means bugs (or poisin), low harvests, low THC, poor taste and mold.

But in rural areas where they know how to farm a lot is happening. For tens of millions of Thais price is a facto. Indoor will only be chosen by the very wealthy and/or clueless, as good quality will be available on the streets with no tax or overheads for the seller. This is what I hear is happening in the US and eventually around the world. I think cannabis will return to being a plant grown in poorer tropical countries. This is already common and logical for an agricultural product. I'm not aware of any other plant grown totally under lights.

A few years ago plants shown on Thai media looked weak and spindly, now they are growing some giants, as can be seen in the clip https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...00083200937492&m_entstream_source=feed_mobile

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
. This is what I hear is happening in the US and eventually around the world. I think cannabis will return to being a plant grown in poorer tropical countries. This is already common and logical for an agricultural product. I'm not aware of any other plant grown totally under lights.

A few years ago plants shown on Thai media looked weak and spindly, now they are growing some giants, as can be seen in the clip https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...00083200937492&m_entstream_source=feed_mobile
this is what myself and sam said years back
the writing was already on the wall then ,
its only a matter of time ...

Thighland

this is what myself and sam said years back
the writing was already on the wall then ,
its only a matter of time ...
Yes mate, it's quite obvious really, the obstacle to legalizing ganja has always been difficulties in taxation and turning a profit, because it grows so easily. As teenagers hitting bongs in bungalows we agreed on this, but it seems big business investors didn't get the memo. People like us happy not to be criminalized, but the suits will always be unhappy.

Cardy

Apart from the tourism economy being destroyed by Covid.... part of the push there for legalisation is ,for millennia since hindu Indian hindu religions arrived well over 1000 years ago, it's part of there culinary diet leaves are added to to there soups.
They have had to hide it in recent time.

Good to see some sense prevailing in the context of historical fact.
May have been illegal for over a century but it's been legal longer than that ✌️