What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

PEOPLE WHO LIKE TO WORKOUT/TRAIN.

mudballs

just wait until you get in your 70's...I work out 2 times a week and have for over a decade...don't quit brother, your life depends on what you do today...
😔 it is a fact...quit isn't the right word...i did curls yesterday...I'd call it the longest deload macrocycle of all time...my soul said stop a minute louder than my body said get jacked

xtsho

just wait until you get in your 70's...I work out 2 times a week and have for over a decade...don't quit brother, your life depends on what you do today...

You have to keep doing it. You can be 70 and still be in great shape. Some people age better than others though.

But the key is to stay active. Once you let yourself go it's very hard to get back into shape later in life which is why so many either don't bother or fail.

My dogs keep me at least walking close to 2 miles a day everyday. I also have weights that I hit a few times a week.

Ringodoggie

✓
✅
I turned 70 last year. Give or take a few years here and there I have been a gym rat since 1972. Paid for 5 decades of gym memberships until Silver Sneakers came along. Now I have a free gym membership at just about any gym in the country. It's the ONLY good thing about getting old. And, I mean the ONLY good thing. LOL

I still do most of the same exercises as I did when I was younger. Just less weight. I use dumbbells mostly rather than straight bars to keep my joints more independent. I use to curl 45 lb bells. Now, I do 25 lb. LOL Bench used to be about 140. Now, it's 70. LOL

It really sucks when the kid next to you is doing the same exercises with twice the weight. Especially when it's a girl. LOL

I did increase reps as I got older. Sets used to be 10 reps. Or even 7 when I was pushing a lot of weight. Now, I do 3 sets of 15 reps on just about everything. At 70 years old, it's not about building muscle. Those days are over. For me, it's about strength and agility.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
At 64.5 years old - it's about maintaining strength and agility and stamina - 4 months ago I had open heart surgery and a pacemaker fitted - but as soon as I was able - I started fast walking again - 1 mile a day after 3 weeks post op - and am back up to 5 miles per day now - plus taking 10 weeks off weight training kinda helped the tendinitis and rotator cuff injuries I had before being surgically evicerated - because those injuries have all but dissapeard now - and I am able to push more weight than I was pushing before the op - can do 80 kilos shoulder press for 8 reps x 3 sets - can pull/chin my own weight (97 kilos) 8 reps x 3 sets - can push my bodyweight 10 times x 3 sets - and do 3 sets x 50 bodyweight squats - and can row 100 kilos x 3 sets also - my back/shoulders/chest and legs feel stronger - so do my arms curling 25 kilos 12 x in 3 sets - and 35 kilos triceps pushdowns x 3 sets - for core work - lower back and abs - I prefer doing aqua exercises in the pool 4 x per week for 45 minutes plus cool down and stretching in water -

I'm in great shape again - and have a heightened physical conciousness now - to keep doing what I'm doing - for as long as I can -

Lately I've been concentrating on 200 kilo calve raises - since it's been shorts weather - lol

BudToaster

Veteran
it's not about building muscle. Those days are over. For me, it's about strength and agility.
that is my viewpoint, too.

it's about maintaining strength and agility and stamina
whoa, dude - that is a pretty intense workout. my current routine takes about 70 minutes - 40 minutes of strength/resistance and 30 minutes nordic track skier. two days of exercise then one day for recovery. this seems to be working okay for now.

superx

Veteran
Good day to ya all, hope your keeping well..

Was a satisfactory day working out, kids are going back to school so more breathing space at the gym. Mobiles and kids hugging machines is a big pet hate of mine, deeply annoying to the core..

Primary focus today was leg abuse..

After some light stretching;
4 x sets of 6reps on the hack squat starting with 80kg and finishing the last set on 100kg, maintaining good technique throughout out sets/reps.. Great machine if your not up for using the barbell..(which I wasn’t)

Sit down calf raise consisted of 3 x sets of 10 reps, first 2 sets x 60kg and final set 75kg.
One stand up calf raise of 160kg x 12 reps..

Leg curl & leg extension machine consisting of 3 sets of 12 reps

Leg press, again 3 sets of 12 reps starting at 140kg and finishing last set on 170kg. Had a friend training with me today, motivation certainly helped. 💪 guys a beast with a great soul.. Happy training guys.

IMG_1479.jpeg

IMG_1423.jpeg

superx

Veteran
@superx nice leg day. Most of the time i skip calves now but i really like the range of motion when i do them in the leg press.
Leg press is a good mix up from squats and barbell, it's easy to load up with plates. (especially if you have a dodgy back)

Keeping your back firmly pressed into the seat is important man (I'm sure you know this) to avoid spine/back problems, I fucked up my own back several years ago,. With the leg press you get to isolate glutes and quads as well.

And make sure your knees don't lock when pushing away..(again, I'm sure you are well aware of this)
Be careful of your back buddy, and try mixing them up with squats from time to time, squats are great using your own body weight without the barbell and plates.. I some times do them with a 20kg dumbbell.
For your calves, try the calf raise, sitting or standing, you can max out the weight more when standing.

Happy training man, and mind your back, we only have the one spine...

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Veteran
Happy training man, and mind your back, we only have the one spine...
I know, i tried the 5x5 but was too beat up to stay motivated. Most of it was spine load that killed me.
Best legpress advice for me was open your hips and let the knee move outwards. I can get way deeper with that tek without lifting my back.