What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Be nice to have a dozen or so buzzing around in my bedroom taking care of the mozzies

PCBuds

My outdoor plants were looking pretty droopy so I watered them. (Miracle Grow & CalMag.)

It is over 90°F though.

PCBuds

I decided to screw in another bulb.

So, 50 Watts now.

I was trying to keep her short with side lighting but I think her stretch may be done now.

So, 10 more Watts to the main cola.

The dragonflies are back.

PCBuds

She looks sad. I think you might wanna rethink the cooler. I have a feeling there is lack of oxygen in the root zone and stagnation...

You're right.
She looks sad.

I'm thinking of removing these last two pale leaves.

She's looking good at the top though.

I think she's too wet.
The media is wet 1/2" below the surface.

I'm going to add a lot more perlite for the next grow.

Meanwhile, ...

This plant might turn out good.

I remember this plant being flooded and it ended up being the best weed I ever smoked.

indagroove

Veteran
I promise if you were to switch to drain to waste drip watering on a timer, drip 3x per light cycle with 10% to 15% runoff, you won't regret it.

attachment.php

PCBuds

I promise if you were to switch to drain to waste drip watering on a timer, ...

I'm considering it.
Even if I just water from the top and syphon off the bottom.

But right now I think she's just too wet.

I need more perlite.
Next plant.

I gotta go shopping. Lol

indagroove

Veteran
I'm considering it.
Even if I just water from the top and syphon off the bottom.

But right now I think she's just too wet.

I need more perlite.
Next plant.

I gotta go shopping. Lol

The thing about drain to waste vs SIP or hempy type irrigation, is that it allows you to maintain a steady and consistent nutrient supply. You do need the 10% to 15% runoff each eatering though, or you run the risk of nutrient buildup, which is what you often get with the SIP and hempy type methods, since you can't really flush the unused nutrients out of the medium easily. With drain to waste old unused nutes are replaces with fresh ones every watering. I've tried to avoid any runoff, any it just causes trouble for me.

SuperBadGrower

Damn man it's just a bummer to see it like that, compared to the Outdoor ones
I agree with indagroove! A simpler and cleaner system for the roots. Simply adding perlite isn't gonna solve it. It doesnt work like that. It doesnt' need to by hydroponic/DTW. you could literally put a plant in supermarket soil, wet/dry cycle it and have better success. if your outdoor plants look that great, which they do, there is no reason your indoor ones shouldn't!

To be honest I also see the morphology of a plant that is starved for light, even though it is surrounded by light. Something aint right there. Next time maybe don't mess with the side lights until you start to flower a plant. Its good if you know what you are doing with light but it looks to me like the lights are on but nobody's photosynthesizing. So when you start your next seed, I recommend to do what everbody else does. ~20 w/sqft from the top, 18/6.
Then after 4 weeks you got you a normal plant with proper thick side branches, you get it to flower, let it stretch for 2 weeks and then turn on the side lighting

Really the outdoor is looking fantastic. 9/10 or 10/10. Get that kind of stuff going indoors!

PCBuds

So, I'm going to ditch the cooler and go with another milk crate with coco coir and perlite when this plant is done.

Can I just water it daily until I get runoff instead of timers and pumps and stuff?

Will I have to start PHing my nute solution?