What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

... At the end it should smell kind of sweet and sour, similar to sour dough. If it makes you want to vomit, it’s probably bad and you should start over.

I remember draining my cooler once and the runoff smelt like sewage or rotting garbage.

I figured that was wrong so I drained it completely and let it dry out.

This curdles the milk, which causes it to separate into the curds (solids on top) and whey (clear/yellow liquid on the bottom)... The curds are technically edible, similar to cottage cheese, but I don’t find it appetizing. My dogs love the stuff though.

Little Miss Muffet likes the curds.
I think she drank the juice too. Lol

Hookahhead

Ed rosenthal just posted this photo to IG. It shows the divot I was talking about, I would almost bet that these are feminized seeds.

picture.php

PCBuds

I tried to take some pictures of some of my seeds.
(I find it pretty hard to take clear closeups.)

Most have a divot but they're not as big or as deep as what Hooka posted.

I'm thinking the seeds weren't 100% ripe so there's a bit of "umbilical" still stuck in the "belly button".

I ended up giving half my seeds to my neighbor.

I don't think I want to grow any of them indoors. It's too much time and effort for a seed where I don't know who the father is and if the mother is also the father then I'd probably have unstable plants that would herm way to easily.

PCBuds

You can also use the liquid from your kraut, or the yellow liquid that separates from yogurt (whey) and skip the starchy water step.

I just bought some yogurt.

Can I just use 1-2 tablespoons of the yogurt and stir it into the milk?

It doesn't have very much liquid or "whey" but it is a milk product and should only have that Lacto Bacilli stuff in it that should be quite concentrated?

It doesn't have much liquid yet but it should separate more the longer it sits.

I'm also making pasta today but a few tablespoons of yogurt stirred into milk sounds really easy and it should have only the bacteria I want ?

PCBuds

What about adding some of my wine yeast to the water that I will have sitting at the bottom of my cooler?

The water should be pretty close to oxygen-free and allow for anaerobic fermentation with the molasses I put in the water.

Would the yeast get in a turf war with the Lacto Bacilli, soil mites, and my springtails?

As far as I know, yeast is more of a plant and bacteria is more of an animal so they might put up with each other.

(I took a lot of math and science in school but I didn't take biology because I didn't want to cut apart somebody's cat. Lol)

PCBuds

I finally tried some of my latest plant.

I tried a single bowl starting from sober to help me be a bit more objective.

It smelt and tasted pretty good but struck me as kinda different.
I'm thinking it's because it hasn't been curing that long.

It worked. It got me buzzed the same amount as always, perhaps a bit less.

I would describe the taste/flavor as "dank" in the traditional sense of the word.

But apparently "dankness" is a good thing?

Wouldn't it taste really dank if it was moldy or not right in some way?

It did taste a bit like a stale dishrag or fruit cellar.

It didn't smell dank or moldy in the jar. It smells really good and isn't moldy.
It's just the flavour/taste that appears dank.

PCBuds

I made my macaroni and this is the entire runoff from ~600 grams of the macaroni.

It's on top of the fridge right now doing its thing.

I've got this thing too.

It worked great for the sour kraut.

You can "seal" the lid and it leaks just enough to let the CO2 out without letting the O2 in as long as the temperature doesn't fluctuate too much and it goes into suction mode if the CO2 generation can't keep up with the temperature and keep it pressurized.

I've also got these special venting bottle caps from when I made my own beer.

They are a simple replacement lid for a 2 L plastic pop bottle.

It keeps your bottle from exploding.
It's supposed to be a one way valve.

PCBuds

My new seeding is doing okay.

I took some pictures then sprayed her down with bottled water.

I'm debating whether or not to chop her down and try something new after my clay pellets arrive?

I'll have everything I need to start over, with new lights, "soil", and seeds.

The clay pellets should be here by new years.

The fuses and 850 nm LEDs arrived too...
(but I don't think I'm going to use the LEDs..)

PCBuds

My yogurt separated nicely and I managed to get 4 TBS. of whey that I put in a 3 cup jar and put it on top of my fridge.

I didn't tighten the lid. I left it slightly loose so it can vent.

PCBuds

She is doing okay.
Maybe a little bit delayed.

I screwed in the bottom bulbs.

I want to give her as much light as she can handle.
I dunno?

PCBuds

PCBuds

I like using the shot glass.
The seed has an air pocket around it as well as water from the paper towel.
I set the shot glass on top of my fridge and cover it with a big upside down mug to keep it dark.

If it's on a plate covered with paper towels, you have to keep lifting the paper towels up to check them and if they're too far along, the delicate tap root is longer and you can tear the little hairs off the root when you're checking it.

With the shot glass I can orient the seed then plant it as soon as the tap root shows.
That way I don't have a 1/2" tap root that I could snap while planting it.

Mr. J

Just plant the seed straight in the dirt and you'll save yourself the trouble. Up, down, sideways, doesn't matter, they find their way 99 times out of 100.

PCBuds

Just plant the seed straight in the dirt and you'll save yourself the trouble. Up, down, sideways, doesn't matter, they find their way 99 times out of 100.

I'd probably have a hard time with that. It would probably be too wet, dry, cold or warm.

Plus I have a hard time just leaving it alone. I planted my last sprouted seed then dug into the dirt every day to check on it. Lol

I need to learn how to keep my dirty fingers out of the pot. Lol

I've managed to get every seed to grow except one a few years ago when I thought it would be prudent to put a drop of liquid fertilizer in the shot glass just after the tap root was showing.
I killed it.

Crop King Seeds guarantees an 80% germination rate if you follow their method.

My method is almost the same.

PCBuds

My polycarbonate tube arrived today.
The strip fits inside perfectly.

I've got a bunch of two part Marine epoxy that I bought to make a windsurfer and I think I'm going to coat my strip with it to seal it.

I've also got a small 24 VDC transformer from a cell phone or something that I can use to power it.
I think a simple resistor will drop the voltage down to not overdrive it.

My only concern now is that when I fill the tube with water, the water might expand when heated and crack the tube or force a leak or something?

Maybe I can seal the ends of the tube with silicone so it can flex a bit to allow for any expansion of the water.
I don't want to make a pressure vessel.

PCBuds

Plus I have a hard time just leaving it alone. I planted my last sprouted seed then dug into the dirt every day to check on it. Lol

I also took a couple of pins and popped the seed casing off the sprout after it was above the ground.

That's probably why the tips of the first pair of leaves are brown.

My mom used to say "It's not going to heal if you keep picking at it !!"

Same idea for my plant I guess. Lol