What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I had two others growing too but I caught someone creeping my backyard so I had to harvest way too early and ended up giving it all away.

I'm not going to bother growing outside next year.
That has to be insanely annoying. You can finally grow out in the open and now have to worry about thieves.

PCBuds

That has to be insanely annoying. You can finally grow out in the open and now have to worry about thieves.

I was pretty much expecting it to happen right from the start.
That's why I didn't want to waste any of my good nutes on them or spend any time training them.

I don't think outdoor weed ends up being all that good anyway, with all the wind, rain, bugs and animals beating the hell out of them.

It was kinda cool watching them grow though and I had never seen a male plant with its bananas before.
I got a chance to inspect the preflowers to try to tell them apart.

Maybe next year I'll just plant a bunch of my free seeds and see what happens.

I'm deciding whether or not to grow some of my 160 seeds inside or not.

I think I'm going to buy some Autoflower seeds with a new flavor.
I don't mind spending ~$12 on a seed when I end up with 3-5 ounces.
I may as well spend the money on some good seeds.

I'm thinking maybe Candy Cane Autoflower?
It sounds yummy looks neat and only takes 7 weeks.

PCBuds

My seedling is looking healthy but I noticed some fuzz growing on the stump so I removed the peanut butter jar.

She's 2 1/2" tall now with the second set of leaves just starting to show.

I did have the lights on 24/7 since I planted the germinated seed thinking it would give her a better start.

I'm switching to 12/12 today and I lowered the lights to 21".

PCBuds

My plant dried out really quickly because the relative humidity is so low right now (around 30%), so I trimmed it up, weighed it and put it in a big jar.

I got 118.1 grams (4.16 OZ.)

After removing the seeds and getting my humidity down to ~62%, I re-weighed my buds and only came up with 85.7 grams. (3.02 OZ)

The seeds weigh 2.6 grams so I lost almost 30 grams of water?

I did lose some weed while I was sifting through the buds getting the seeds out.
I ended up mashing the hell out of my buds during that process.

I may have smoked some too but I can't remember. Lol

ScrogMonster

Veteran

PCBuds

Found your Diary! :) Why you got all the lights on? Is it cold? I’d think just the two with in the center above it would be plenty for now if you can lower the fixture a bit.

Yea, you're probably right.

I just keep messing with stuff. Lol

I also replaced two daylight bulbs with globes for two warm bulbs without globes.

I'll turn off the sidelights and lower the center fixture.

indagroove

Veteran
That seedling might be having a hard time working it's young roots thru the old root mass of the previous plant. The soil is likely quite compacted from the first grow.

I'd stay away from autoflowers in a small chamber. You might get lucky and find an auto strain that is perfectly suited to your space but some autos like to get big before they flower and you have no control like you do with photos.

PCBuds

That seedling might be having a hard time working it's young roots thru the old root mass of the previous plant. The soil is likely quite compacted from the first grow.

The soil isn't too bad, its got 5 L of perlite, 5 L of vermiculite and I can poke a pencil into it quite easily but I did plant the seed right in the heavy root system.

I'd stay away from autoflowers in a small chamber. You might get lucky and find an auto strain that is perfectly suited to your space but some autos like to get big before they flower and you have no control like you do with photos.

I did grow a bunch of White Widow auto flowers and they fit in the space OK.
I remember topping a couple of them because they were about to hit my lights.

Maybe if I beam them up with lots of light and brutalize the hell out of them like I always end up doing, it'll stunt them and keep them shorter. Lol

PCBuds

Oh Shit. !!

I thought it would be prudent to spray down my grow area to raise the humidity.

I kinda keeled over my seedling.

I managed to stand her up again but she's probably really pissed off right now and will withhold her flowers for at least an extra month. Lol

She's giving me this Real Nasty vibe.. Lol

PCBuds

You know the sad part is that I didn't grab my pencil and stand her up right away.
I went to grab my camera to take a picture while she was suffering on the ground.

I feel bad about that. Lol

Swanson

I usually just mound dirt around them if they pull that stunt. The newly buried section of stem will end up growing roots as well. Your last grow was awesome by the way, love your grow contraption. :dance013:

PCBuds

She's looking Okay.

She's got a little blemish but I like how she's trying to hide it.

It could be anything, it could be nothing.

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and ignore it.

PCBuds

She looks just about big enough for some light nutes and molasses.

It's been two weeks today since I planted the sprouted seed.
I can't see how this plant can possibly be ready to harvest in as little as 6 more weeks.

I think she's pretty stressed and stunted though.
It's really dry in my closet at less than 40% humidity and it's kinda cold too with temperatures dropping to as low as 62° F at night.
I've got three thermometers in the closet and they're all giving different readings.

PCBuds

I gave my seedling some light nutes and molasses today because she seems big enough now.

She appears to be happy but I can't remember how long it took my other plants to get to this size.

Hopefully, she'll have a growth spurt soon and start filling my closet with leaves and branches.

I have been spraying the top of the soil and seedling with plain water to try to get the humidity up a bit.

PCBuds

She appears to be happy but I can't remember how long it took my other plants to get to this size.

I checked through my thread and realized that this plant took 4 weeks to get to this size.

So I may not be too far off from that in two more weeks.

I am on 12/12 lighting right from seed for the first time so I don't know how much that affects growth or final yield but if I ended up with half as much in half the time, then it works out about even I guess.

I was considering just pulling out the plant and starting over.

All my supplies for the strip lights have arrived (except the fuses, but I don't need them) and I've got 15 L of perlite, 5 L of worm castings and coco coir to refill my cooler with new grow media.

I kinda want to get my new lights installed with new "soil" but I guess I'll just wait for this plant to grow out.

Maybe I'll get lucky and end up killing it, then I can get going on my new grow. Lol

PCBuds

.Your last grow was awesome by the way, love your grow contraption. :dance013:

Thanks but I think it kinda sucked. Lol

I only ended up with 85.7 grams with 310 Watts and it took 18 weeks.

Perhaps she didn't produce as much or grow as big because she ended up pregnant somehow and put all her time and effort into her babies??

My biggest problem is the watering.
I just can't seem to get a handle on it.

Does anyone know if the grow media mix I have planned counts as a hempy?

I want to be able to keep about an inch of water at the bottom of the cooler (I've got a fishing bobber on a stick to show me the water level).

I tried it before with the "soil mix" I've got in there now and everything turned to muck.

I'd like to be able to just water it every day out of habit then siphon off the excess and leave an inch of water at the bottom without having to worry about overwatering and drowned roots.