What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

Hookahhead

I don’t know if you’ve ever seen this thread/photo.

https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/can-you-tell-which-seed-is-male-or-female.113670/

If you would have asked me a year ago I would have told you it’s bro science. But after coming across this article a few months ago I decided to look into it more. I came across a post here, where a member ( I think it was dank.frank) made a comment like “look at a pack of fem seeds”. I had a few fem beans at the time, so I took a look. I saw what he was talking about, the fem beans had the little “volcano” divot in the bottom.

Since discovering this I’ve tried it out on a few seeds that I’ve popped. Out of 6 I’ve got 5 females. It could be a fluke, or it could be something. I can definitely see morphological differences within a batch of 100+ reg seeds.

I’d say take a look at you seeds, and any others you have on and decide for yourself. Of course if you use this method, keep in mind that you could potentially be raising a male, so plan accordingly.

Attachments

• E481A5D4-4D89-4275-838B-C7EE65A6C24C.jpeg
    E481A5D4-4D89-4275-838B-C7EE65A6C24C.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 37

PCBuds

Thanks, dude !!

That's Cool !!

I will read that tomorrow when I'm sober.

I've only ever used feminized seeds so regular ones are new to me.

"... the fem beans had the little “volcano” divot in the bottom"

Maybe I could punch a divot into the non-divoted beans to turn them into girls ??

Kinda like castration or transgender surgery ??

Hookahhead

I think you need a dental drill for that to work. You should probably just order one now before you sober up, you’ll thank me in the morning haha.

PCBuds

Check it out...

I've already got the dental instruments...

I figure a drop if crazy glue should close up the entrance wound.. Lol ��

Last edited:

indagroove

Veteran
Most likely the plant hermed early on which would create all female seeds. I don't know your neighbor but it seems unlikely that he would be growing males and that much would find its way inside your grow chamber. The real risk with these seeds if do they carry herm traits?

PCBuds

I'm trying to get a grip on the relative humidity for my humidor (big ole jar).

I decided to tape my instruments to the side of the jar.

Then I turned my jar upside down to suck the moisture out he bottom.

PCBuds

Hard to say exactly. Depends on a lot of things... I check them at least 2 or 3 times a day at this point..
The other day I took everything back out and let it all breathe for a few hours. That's part of the fun, ..

That's not fun that's a PITA...

I don't even check on my cat that often..

indagroove

Veteran
Store at 50 yes, but you might not want to cure at 50.

I'm aiming for 62%.

Appropriate RH range for dry/cure is one of those things that can be argued over for ages. In my opinion, cure is something that happens after the drying phase. Often we think bud is dry because it feels dry on the surface but there is more moisture still left in the stem.

I tend to follow Dr Robb's recommended procedure, who suggests that 50% RH is optimal:

https://darkheartnursery.com/from-the-garden/drying-and-curing-cannabis/

PCBuds

It's fun if you enjoy it.

I kinda feels like a chore to me and I'm worried my cat might pounce on it and spread it all over the house.

I had to lock her in the bedroom when I trimmed my plant.
She wasn't happy about that.

PCBuds

I don’t know if you’ve ever seen this thread/photo.

I read the thread and then checked my 4 remaining White Widow feminized seeds and they did have a "dimple" "volcano" type hole.

Then I checked a whole bunch of my harvested seeds and some were closed in and some had holes but it was kind of a judgment call.
It wasn't a cut and dry difference. Some were kinda in between.

But I have a hard time judging what I'm looking at. I have the same problem trying to assess preflowers.

When it comes to it though, I'll just pick out seeds with the biggest, deepest holes.
I've got lots to pick from.

Of course if you use this method, keep in mind that you could potentially be raising a male, so plan accordingly.

Yeah, that parts gonna suck.
I don't even know what kind of plan to use?

I assume I would just start a bunch of seeds and go straight to 12/12 with the lights, wait till they show sex, then get rid of the boys and go back to 24-hour lighting to reveg?

I don't know if I want to bother learning all that stuff.

I might just get some more Autoflower feminized seeds.

I meant to buy Autoflower White Widow when I last bought seeds but I screwed up my order and got 10 White Widow photoperiod seeds instead.

PCBuds

Most likely the plant hermed early on which would create all female seeds.

That would be good!! But I don't think it hermed. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed bananas on my plant. (but it is possible)

I don't know your neighbor but it seems unlikely that he would be growing males and that much would find its way inside your grow chamber.

Every second house is growing weed now because it's legal and a lot of people don't even know that you don't smoke boys and only smoke girl flowers.

I did have a seed from a neighbor that turned out to be a boy.
It was that plant with the blue jay sitting on it.

It was pretty far along before I checked it and finally cut it.

The real risk with these seeds if do they carry herm traits?

I'm pretty sure I was the one that brought pollen into the house plus it was floating all over the neighborhood from other peoples plants.

PCBuds

Appropriate RH range for dry/cure is one of those things that can be argued over for ages.

I agree with that.

I remember reading a thread on curing and he said that curing stops after the RH drops below 55% and it can't be restarted.

I wrote the numbers down and stuck it to one of my jars.

indagroove

Veteran
I agree with that.

I remember reading a thread on curing and he said that curing stops after the RH drops below 55% and it can't be restarted.

I wrote the numbers down and stuck it to one of my jars.

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/CKkRRnCQ/20191207-120624.jpg]View Image[/url]

Yeah I've seen people post that before too but with no science to back up the statement. The link I posted was written by an actual scientist with a PhD, specializing in horticulture, so I'm going to trust him more than broscience posted on internet forums.

Last edited:

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Nice thick stalk on that chopped plant. That's what I like to see on my plants. Looks like it was growing right out in the middle the yard. Man I wish I could grow right out in the open where I live.

PCBuds

Nice thick stalk on that chopped plant. That's what I like to see on my plants. Looks like it was growing right out in the middle the yard. Man I wish I could grow right out in the open where I live.

I had two others growing too but I caught someone creeping my backyard so I had to harvest way too early and ended up giving it all away.

I'm not going to bother growing outside next year.

PCBuds

Yeah I've seen people post that before too but with no science to back up the statement. The link I posted was written by an actual scientist with a PhD, specializing in horticulture, so I'm going to trust him more than bioscience posted on internet forums.

The main thing I can take from it is that you can cure at 50% RH.
That means even less chance of mold so that's a good thing.