What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

Well, this doesn't look too appealing.

Water wicked up and got the diatomaceous earth all wet, but I think it is still working.

I don't think that the gnats can dig their way through it?

PCBuds

My PH test solution arrived today.

I hope that I can get an accurate reading now.

I've got two PH pens, two kinds of strips, and now the drops.

I am waiting for PH test packets to arrive so that I can hopefully calibrate my meters.

I didn't know that you were supposed to store the pens wet, so they went out of calibration, and maybe they went bad?

PCBuds

I tested the drops with some water that drained to the bottom of the cooler and got a reading of 6.5-7.0
Then I tested my nute solution and it turned red.
It took 20 drops of PH up to bring it into a better range.

Both readings agreed with the Hydrion strips so I'm more confident about being able to trust the readings.

I'm feeding the plant with a PH of 5-6, figuring that it helps the plant absorb more nutrients without relying on the rhizosphere to do all the work.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I'm impressed with how much those window sill plants are filling in given just a few SIL bulbs. :good:

Sampas92

Just newbin
My PH test solution arrived today.

I hope that I can get an accurate reading now.

I've got two PH pens, two kinds of strips, and now the drops.

I am waiting for PH test packets to arrive so that I can hopefully calibrate my meters.

I didn't know that you were supposed to store the pens wet, so they went out of calibration, and maybe they went bad?

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/tJpfbr7c/20201215-164646.jpg]View Image[/url]
I have the yellow one with the 2 green buttons..yours starts with a high read and if you let it sit for a wile and even stir the water with it the ph read comes down to more right readings?

PCBuds

I have the yellow one with the 2 green buttons..yours starts with a high read and if you let it sit for a wile and even stir the water with it the ph read comes down to more right readings?

My meter is stuck in calibration mode because I hit the calibration button without having any calibration solution to put it in.

Now it slowly goes from 1-14 and back again, searching for it's solution. Lol

I've got more PH packets coming.
They are coming from China.

They should be here by this time next year. Lol.

PCBuds

These are my meters trying to read a 4.01 PH solution.

This is them trying to read bottled water at an unknown PH, after the test...

I read that you can make your own storage solution with a 4.01 storage solution with some KCl added.

I don't want to spend $16 on a storage solution, so I want to make my own.

I need to find some NuSalt.
They don't have it at my local Walmart.

Sampas92

Just newbin
The reading od the unknown ph water is very off between the both..even higher that in the 4.01 solution..
Do you use the drip to recheck?

PCBuds

I hate ph meters. I use the strips now when needed, even tho I'm partially colorblind.

It was you that recommended the Hydrion strips.

They are working good. There's lots of color difference between the PH values.
Its quite easy to read.

PCBuds

The reading od the unknown ph water is very off between the both..even higher that in the 4.01 solution..
Do you use the drip to recheck?

I'm going to disregard the pens for now.
I'm waiting for my PH test packets to arrive.

I think I need to start with the 6.85 PH solution first, then the 4.01 to calibrate it properly.

I never did get my auto ranging pen to work.
I think I programmed it wrong?

indagroove

Veteran
It was you that recommended the Hydrion strips.

They are working good. There's lots of color difference between the PH values.
Its quite easy to read.

Yes. Honestly I rarely test ph anymore, unless I change up my nute solution or something. Since I do drain to waste, my ph stays pretty consistent. Also there are studies out which suggest that providing plants with a steady ph is more beneficial than trying to always correct to hit the "ideal" ph.

TdotGonG

Got to spend over 75$ on a good meter. China pens are well to put it lightly garbage. BlueLabs, Apera or Hanna is the go to. Just go to grow shop and get ph solution 4 and 7, probably cost 30$ total for both, and most good hydro shops have calibration solution. Store probes in ph solution #7. KCI I personally find isn't needed. my meters stay calibrated within .01-.06 after 2 weeks of storage. If are growing in soil I'd suggest getting a BlueLabs soil ph pen, best 250$ you will spend.

PCBuds

Got to spend over 75$ on a good meter. China pens are well to put it lightly garbage. BlueLabs, Apera or Hanna is the go to. Just go to grow shop and get ph solution 4 and 7, probably cost 30$ total for both, and most good hydro shops have calibration solution. Store probes in ph solution #7. KCI I personally find isn't needed. my meters stay calibrated within .01-.06 after 2 weeks of storage. If are growing in soil I'd suggest getting a BlueLabs soil ph pen, best 250$ you will spend.

I'm happy with the drops, they seem accurate and I can test them with my PH solution packets when they arrive.

I looked into the BlueLabs pen and was considering buying one when I was informed about the drops.

I looked into storage solution and a science teacher makes his own with 4.01 test solution with some KCl added, but what you mentioned, sounds easier and I can constantly monitor the readings from the pens.
The 7 PH solution is closer to the range that I am working with, so I figure the pens will be more accurate in the 5.4-6.5 range.

Is there any issue with using the test solution as a storage Solution?
Does it go bad or anything, or wear out?

PCBuds

Yes. Honestly I rarely test ph anymore, unless I change up my nute solution or something. Since I do drain to waste, my ph stays pretty consistent. Also there are studies out which suggest that providing plants with a steady ph is more beneficial than trying to always correct to hit the "ideal" ph.

Yeah, that's kinda where I'm at.
I just need to how many drops of PH up are needed for my solution.

I'm sort of providing a steady PH in that my input PH is always 5.4 and I just let the plant deal with it and sort it out.
That's just me speculating that it's a good idea.
It seems to be working.
The plant sure looks happy.

Latest posts

Latest posts