What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

My closet plant appears to be recovering.
She didn't get worse anyway.

I turned on the sidelights and turned them down to about 25% brightness.

PCBuds

ReikoX's plants both have rolled up leaves so I was concerned about magnesium lockout, so I made 1 liter of nute solution PH'ed to 5.7, including CalMag, and watered each plant from the top, right at the rootstalk, and washed it through.

The solution in the trays is reading a PH of 7.3.

@ReikoX, should I PH the solution in the trays?

I know that the plants are changing the PH and the runoff would be different but is it smart to keep the PH in the "reservoir" in the proper range?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
IME so long as the water in the resivoir is between 6.5 and 7.5, I wouldn't bother messing with it myself.

PCBuds

I was thinking that it is a soilless/hydroponic type of setup, so it should be around 5.8?

Are the wrinkled leaves normal?
I was worried about magnesium lockout, like in this example. Or is it just new growth getting established and stretching out flat?

PCBuds

IME so long as the water in the resivoir is between 6.5 and 7.5, I wouldn't bother messing with it myself.

What do you think happened in my closet?

Was I just nute deficient, or was I locked out?

I've kinda got a "transitional" grow, so maybe the PH is sorta transitional too?
Somewhere between 5.8 and 6.5?

Or am I just worried about something that isn't very important?

My closet did go wrong, and I'm trying to understand what wasn't right.

PCBuds

My closet plant is looking happy again, but she's a little pale and scarred.

She's 25" tall now.

The Lady Bug I brought in a couple of weeks ago is still hanging around.
She's for good luck.
And she will eat any invaders. Lol

PCBuds

I decided to PH my trays down to 6.5.

I figure that's a good compromise between your experience and my imaginary concerns. Lol

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I would pH so somewhere around 6 (I use drops) and dump it in the trays. Then I would LITFA until it was gone. But I'm a very lazy gardener. Most often I use a water only soil mix and don't bother with pH.

SuperBadGrower

ReikoX's plants both have rolled up leaves so I was concerned about magnesium lockout, so I made 1 liter of nute solution PH'ed to 5.7, including CalMag, and watered each plant from the top, right at the rootstalk, and washed it through.

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/rpgvsWFR/20201120-135803-1.jpg]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/MTTgQTvP/20201120-135808-1.jpg]View Image[/url]

The solution in the trays is reading a PH of 7.3.

@ReikoX, should I PH the solution in the trays?

I know that the plants are changing the PH and the runoff would be different but is it smart to keep the PH in the "reservoir" in the proper range?

Those plants look completely normal mate

PCBuds

I would pH so somewhere around 6 (I use drops) and dump it in the trays. Then I would LITFA until it was gone. But I'm a very lazy gardener. Most often I use a water only soil mix and don't bother with pH.

I was under the impression that I've got a soil-less media now on both the window sill and in the closet and I need to monitor and adjust the PH regularly.

I would rather just ignore it and just add solution to all the plants, but I don't know if that is a good idea.

I don't really know what happened in the closet but I thought maybe it was nute lockout due to the PH being too high?

Maybe just a flush every few weeks or so, and ignore the PH?

There is calcium and magnesium in my powdered nutes so I don't know what happened in the closet?
Maybe just not enough for her when she started her stretch?

PCBuds

The window plants are doing well but I had to rearrange the lights because the two plants are different sizes.

They are really stretching.

PCBuds

The closet plant appears to have made a complete recovery.
She grew another inch and is drinking about a liter a day.

PCBuds

I think what I'm going to do is wait until the water is about 1/4" deep, then drain it off.

Then I'll pour new nute solution down from the top at the stalk until I've got some runoff, then drain that off.

Then I'll refill the trays with about 1 1/2" of solution.

The plant on the left is really sprouting roots into the water.
I don't think I want it to run dry?

It looks like some mold is growing.
I don't think it's "root hairs"?

I'll try some anaerobic bacteria and see what happens.