What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

picture.php

picture.php

PCBuds

The closest plant is really taking off.
She's 20" tall now.

The main cola is showing lots of pistols.

Side branch cola.

She's got some purple stems and striped branches.
It's probably from the cool temperatures.

She's looking pretty good otherwise.

PCBuds

The window plants are also doing pretty good, other than the droopiness, but I'm not going to worry about that.

They perk up every day.
They even start to perk up before the lights come on, in anticipation of daytime.

PCBuds

The left plant has some long roots growing.

I'll be cleaning out the trays once in a while and just keep adding water to the trays.

I'll put some anaerobic bacteria in the trays too.
I'm making a new batch.

This batch has taken forever.
It's been up there for a month.
It still smells right.

The last batch grew some black mold around the rim so I guess some other stuff got in the jar.
I kept the jar in the fridge and was using the liquid for my plants and eating the cheese for the good of my health.
I didn't notice the mold until after I ate some.
I could taste the mold. Mmmm... Lol

PCBuds

My closet plant is looking sick.

I checked out Joe Fresh's guide to sick plants, and it looks like a magnesium deficiency.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=231387

I don't think that I'm locked out, I think it's just a straight magnesium deficiency.

I did mix 10 Tbsp. of garden lime into the soil at the start of this grow, then found out that ordinary garden lime only has calcium in it but Dolomite lime has magnesium as well, so I was missing that in my lime.

I also realized that I forgot to switch to bloom nutes until now.

So, I mixed up 2 liters of bloom nute solution and added 1/4 tsp of Epsom salt and 1/2 tsp of CalMag plus.
The PPM was at 750 and the PH was 6.5.

Then I watered the plant.

I'm pretty sure that should cure her and now I need to wait patiently for 3 days or so to see any results.

PCBuds

ReikoX's window plants appear to be starting to flower.
It's been 4 weeks and 2 days.

Now I know that they will fit on the window sill, so that's good news.

I started them on the Bloom nutes with a bit of CalMag as well.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Yeah, that sounds about right, showing sex at around 4 weeks. They should, at least, double in size. I'm not sure what your Bloom nutrients are, but theybare still going to need some nitrogen for the stretch.

PCBuds

Is showing sex the same thing as the start of flower?
Should I wait to do the switch, or mix the two nutes?

What about my closet plant?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Showing sex and flowering are not really the same, but they happen only a week or two apart with autos. I would keep them on the maxigrow until the buds are dime sized, sort of where the closet plant is now. Then switch to the maxibloom, probably about a week more.

PCBuds

OK, thanks.

And one last thing, the cotyledons have dried up and turned yellow-brown.

Is that normal, or is that a sign of deficiency at this point?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Totally normal, those are the energy stores for getting out of the ground and the first true leaves forming.

PCBuds

My closet plant is 23" tall now.

But she's looking pretty shitty.

I'm hoping that she's just taking a while to rebound.
She is looking worse than yesterday.
I think I might give her a 500 ml bottle of water with just some CalMag and Epsom salt.

PCBuds

I decided to check the PH of my reservoir (the water at the bottom of the cooler), and it was 7.1 and I thought that was wrong, so I decided to drain it and fill it up with a new nute solution PH'ed at 5.8.

I've been top watering the closet plant since the start and I haven't drained/flushed the bottom yet.
I've been pouring the solution in at the stalk so that I don't soak the entire surface of the soil.

I poured in 2 liters of solution and checked the PH at the bottom again and it was 7.0

So I drained it out and PH'ed it down to 5.1 and poured it back through again.
I did this three times until the "runoff" finally got down to 6.5.
Then threw it out and made up a new batch of nute solution with MaxiBloom and CalMag.

It was a PH of 5.7 and read 6.4 after it drained through to the bottom.

I don't know if I did was right but I need to remember that I'm pretty much soilless now and I need to keep an eye on PH and flush the cooler once in a while.