What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
She may be slow but at least she grows, I'm having trouble even getting one seed to grow, 5 down and nothing to show for it. :shucks:

q3corn

My slowest seeds seem to be because they were too wet. It looks like that seed is sitting in pretty moist soil, does it have water pooling around it?

PCBuds

My slowest seeds seem to be because they were too wet. It looks like that seed is sitting in pretty moist soil, does it have water pooling around it?

I think that I'm OK, and there's no standing water.

I dug a hole in the middle of the cooler and filled it with "Premium Seed Starting Jiffy Mix" because I didn't want the seed directly in my reused, nuted grow media.

The stuff is pretty light and fluffy with good drainage and I stirred in extra perlite as well.

I'm kinda thinking that it was a bit too cold right from the start and maybe even now, or it's just the genetics and a seed that isn't too eager.

I don't really care if it's slow as long as I don't end up killing it. Lol

Apparently, temperature and environment can slow down a plant, even an Autoflower.

What I need is a time lock on my closet so I can't mess with it for a few days.
Or a breathalyzer interlock. Lol

PCBuds

She may be slow but at least she grows, I'm having trouble even getting one seed to grow, 5 down and nothing to show for it. :shucks:

I sure hope all my new seeds will pop.
I'm really quite nervous about it. I don't want to mess up my germination/planting.

SuperBadGrower suggested that I practice on some seeds, and I've got about 170 from that White Widow that hermed.
So I'm going to do that.

On a really cool positive note, ReikoX just mailed me a bunch of Autoflower seeds, so I'm looking forward to trying to grow them.

The parents look tall and skinny and the offspring should fit perfectly in my closet.

Thanks, ReikoX :friends:

PCBuds

I'm not going to store my new seeds in the freezer anymore.
It's kinda risky and I don't need to store them for 5 years or more.

I was going by this...

https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/content/36-how-to-preserve-seeds

I'm going to store my seeds in the crisper drawer of my fridge in a Mason jar with a desiccant inside.

There is less temperature fluctuations and it's darker in the crisper.
(my fridge door is open and closed about 50 times a day.)

I may as well keep the frozen seeds I have in my deep freeze.

What's done is done? No use thawing them out now until I need them.

My hermed White Widow seeds don't matter but I'll put them in the fridge now too.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I've been popping beans with the same method for over 10 years and hardly ever lose 1. Warm damp paper towel in between 2 saucer plates inside of a cookie tin. They usually pop in 24 to 48 hours. Then from there to their permanent medium.

PCBuds

Actually, that's what Crop king recommends but without the second plate on top, so that the seeds can breathe.

picture.php

I have a butt load of seeds so maybe I'll try that, but I'm used to and comfortable with my shot glass method.

I've got a hot plate too, but it's 70 watts so I would need to hook it up to a dimmer switch.

Then I would still probably cook them and end up with popcorn. Lol

I don't know what to do?
I could try a bunch of different methods while I'm waiting for my new seeds to arrive.

SuperBadGrower

Just like cloning, there are a million methods and in the end most of them work. I never need heat. If a room is comfortable enough to live in as a human it's good enough to germinate seeds.

This is "the spectrum" the way I see it
seed spectrum.jpg

That doesnt really apply to old seed. With really old ones that germinate poorly or not at all you need to get pretty nerdy. Modern, fresh-ish seeds from breeders/sellers, you can do what you feel.

PCBuds

I've got 4 seeds in the shot glass and put it under a mug in the rafters.

I'm a bit nervous about trying a new method for fear of messing something up but I put some on a plate with paper towels to give it a try.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Instead of a hot plate, I would put them on top of like a cable box or something that generates just a little bit of warmth.

I used to put my clones/seedlings on top if my T5 light to warm up. Lately, when I germinate seeds, I first soak in tap water for 24-48 hours, then plant them into the medium.

PCBuds

My sprout looks like crap.
I think I may have killed it.
I've got to learn to stop messing with my sprouts and seedlings.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
When I do the plate method, I put a paper towel down,put some hot water and tilt the plate once damp so the excess runs off. That way it's not completely saturated and a pool of water. Make sure you put some sort of warmth under the plates so it'll produce some humidity. Then once you have tap roots drop them in the medium.

As for the sprout, are you pH ing your water??? What medium are you dropping them into??

PCBuds

I used room temperature distilled water and poured off the excess.
I used 2 paper towels on the bottom and one on top of the seeds.

I put the plates on top of the fridge where the warmer air, blowing out of the back of the fridge, can blow on the plates.

I don't think it's quite warm enough though, so I'm going to dig through my garage and look for a cable box or something similar to set the plate on.

As for the sprout, I used distilled water but I didn't PH the water. I will be sure to do that next time.

The sprout was planted in "Premium Seed Starting Jiffy Mix".

I was being a dumb ass and ended up digging up the sprout and replanting it.
Then I grabbed the sprout with my fingers and popped part of the seed casing off.
I think I may have broken the top of the sprout because it appears to be dying at the top.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Do you wait to see taproots, or do you just plant them after a certain time?

Generally the seeds will crack in that time, but if not, i plant them anyway. My last seeds popped while still floating on the surface. This is 48 hours in a dark cupboard.

picture.php

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I would argue that darkness isn't a requirement to get them going. I've literally thrown seeds on top of soil in direct sunlight and they've taken off. Cannabis is also a plant that drops its seeds directly on top of the soil, where they typically would go through their embryonic dormancy phase (in cooler regions) then start growing the following spring. All the time being exposed to light. It may be beneficial to keep the seeds in the dark if the intent is to keep them fresh, and from deteriating prior to germination.

Latest posts

Latest posts