What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Veteran
Still looking for that article, but in my search I came across.

The Book is called - POT PLANET.

For this adventurous travelogue, freelance journalist Preston (a contributor to Rolling Stone, Details and Vogue) literally smoked his way around the world, investigating marijuana culture in the U.S. and Europe as well as in places as far away as Nepal, Morocco, Australia and Southeast Asia.

I can't find a free copy, but the part I could Vue I found very interesting and I took a screen shit.

View attachment 19081569
:ROFLMAO: You really understand how opium is made?

What ooze out is dried on the poppy head and scraped off the next day. No way to seperate something of that sticky milky stuff. Oh and how long do they wait till the "good stuff" ooze out? A minute, an hour.

Like some already stated that would require an extra labour intensive step.

And again second hand knowledge "was told by..." and no first hand knowledge.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Opium is not collected when it is white. Its collected after its oxidized. If you saw something white it was not opium. The more it oxidizes the darker it gets. The wash would be dark brown to black

Since pods ripen at different stages, farmers must carefully examine each one to determine if it is ready for harvesting. Farmers typically begin to harvest opium about two weeks after the petals have fallen. While still on the stem, the farmer makes vertical incisions on two or three sides of the pod. The farmer must carefully cut the pod so that the cut is not too deep. Otherwise, the milky white sap, called sheera, will flow too quickly and drip to the ground. So that the opium will ooze out overnight onto the pod’s surface, incisions are made in the afternoon. The pods will continue to secrete opium for several days.

As the sap oxidizes, it turns brown and forms a resin called apeen or taryak that is collected the following morning..
1200x900.jpg R.jpg

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
that the thing isnt it ,
no one in thailand knows about it other than a few westerners that believe some bullshit story some dude told them ,
people bullshit you know , all the time ,, man some of the stories i hear third hand about what someone supposedly did , or saw ,
some people even get their anuses probed by creatures flying around in spaceships ,
opiated thai stick was certainly not standard practice and it is an old wives tale ,
one that u keep saying you dont even care about , but here you are again trying to give some credence to the old wives tale .
anyhow , we will wait for you to clean up your screen ...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
:ROFLMAO: You really understand how opium is made?

What ooze out is dried on the poppy head and scraped off the next day. No way to seperate something of that sticky milky stuff. Oh and how long do they wait till the "good stuff" ooze out? A minute, an hour.

Like some already stated that would require an extra labour intensive step.

And again second hand knowledge "was told by..." and no first hand knowledge.
I know they make cuts on the bulb and then collect the sap and going from the info I have seen on it so far it's collected the same day because the darker it becomes, the weaker the opium becomes.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I can take screenshots of the Thai section if people want, it talks about how meth (yaba) is more popular with young people than cannabis at the time this guy travelled to Thailand and cannabis use was mostly popular in villages by older people.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
cannabis use was mostly popular in villages by older people.
this was generally always the case ,,
hard working farmers and older folks ,

its a lot more popular and cool to do nowadays though ..

according to my indian mate , it was looked down apon where he was from too ,
only the lower parts of society smoked weed , it was a lot cooler drinking he said , and folks looked down on those who smoked cannabis ,, true in thailand too until recently ...

Chi13

ICMag Donor
It would be great if someone could explain if this is even possible? Is there any point in the opium making process that has opium suspended in water, and is it even possible any meaningful quantity will then be infused in the cannabis by dipping or soaking?

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
It was looked down upon here to buy the people that didn't smoke growing up, the non-smokers looked down on us now more use meth than smoke I would bet.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
It's worth saying that heroin users were looked down upon by cannabis smokers, at least where I grew up. A few people I know started using heroin and overnight most refused to have much to do with them. It's like they just disappeared.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
It would be great if someone could explain if this is even possible? Is there any point in the opium making process that has opium suspended in water, and is it even possible any meaningful quantity will then be infused in the cannabis by dipping or soaking?
Every year, people die in Tasmania from homemade opium Tea they make from opium plants they steel growing in the fields, did you know that ?

So it's not like you need a lab to processes the opium.

The name early water tells me a lot of opium would still be there, as it's early into the process of turning the opium into heroin.

I am no expert when it comes to poppies.

1728600733684.jpeg

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
this was generally always the case ,,
hard working farmers and older folks ,

its a lot more popular and cool to do nowadays though ..

according to my indian mate , it was looked down apon where he was from too ,
only the lower parts of society smoked weed , it was a lot cooler drinking he said , and folks looked down on those who smoked cannabis ,, true in thailand too until recently ...
No different here now you can get meth anywhere now it's sad really.