What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
When I was younger my dealer once offered what he called opium laced hash, along with the normal stuff… I wasn’t tempted and went for some once pressed hash that looked huge in comparison.

The other stuff was flecked with white bits which at the time I presumed to be opium but on reflection that’s the wrong colour… probably contaminated with plaster or something 😂
The white bits are emulsified oil from washing it

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
While Thai sticks never crossed my path . . .

I did buy a ¼ oz of ‘opiated’ Nepalese fingertip hash sometime around 1972??? It was more than double the price of a std qrtr. My memory is stretching but it was black and shaped like a flat finger with a few veins of white going right through the hash. I have seen hash mould and it is a white fuzz that develops on the outside of the piece, but this was different. It was one toke hash – certainly the best I had in that era - and I sampled a lot of hash. Our pot at that time was just brick shit and the quality varied wildly while hash was guaranteed. Black from Pakistan and Afghanistan. A range of brown – blacks from Morocco. Red and blonde Leb. This was the only Nepalese that I can remember having.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I saw some opium laced Hash but like the Thai it was not that common here, and I also saw it around the same time as the opium Thai sticks.

Steve DeAngelo talks about the Thai in his part of the world, the end of the Thai there also ended close to the same time it did here we might have had a year or two more of imports.

Dime he also brings up Eagle Thai.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
ja.... noone can prove their "facts", the non opiated and opiated team......... neither have any proof
Not exactly.

One side is arguing on heresay and circumstance; the fact that opium and cannabis both grew in Thailand. A bit like arguing Santa exists.

On the other side;
No first hand accounts of this happening; in fact it's been called a myth by at least one person who was there, and heavily involved.

No evidence in drug seizures at the time. No nasty press stories (that I recall anyway).

No one even knows if dipping in opium water even does anything?

Why would the Thai's bother to do this to a product already considered the best at the time. Think about it. A bunch of Thai's doing labour intensive stick rolling. Now they're going add another process, dip all these sticks into opium water and re dry them?

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🦫 Special 🍆
can you read? thai sticks from LAOS that s a fucking regional thing and never was limited to thailand. have a good day
thanks @mexcurandero420 for the picture

ThaiSticks_1976.JPG

Chi13

ICMag Donor
can you read? thai sticks from LAOS that s a fucking regional thing and never was limited to thailand. have a good day

View attachment 19080795
Was that directed to me? Yes, I can read. :cathug:

Not sure I comprehend the significance of Laos? Same region, just across the river....

Laos cannabis is great. Visited the country. Very similar to Thai, probably grow pretty much the same or similar to Thai.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
One side is arguing on heresay and circumstance; the fact that opium and cannabis both grew in Thailand. A bit like arguing Santa exists.

On the other side;
No first hand accounts of this happening; in fact it's been called a myth by at least one person who was there, and heavily involved.
People that smoked these Thai sticks are sharing their experiences, how is that heresay ?

The Golden triangle grew a lot of cannabis and opium, that is a fact, not a conspiracy.

Hmong Hill tribe The Hmong hill tribe (sometimes called 'Meo') are the second largest hill tribe group in Thailand. They originated from China, today they can be found in large numbers in Laos, Vietnam and Myanmar.

That is why you would have seen Thai sticks coming from different areas of the Golden Triangle.

Who was the person that was there on the ground in the 70s and early 80s that saw what was happening ?

Do you mean the Author of the book Thai stick, if so how were they involved, all they did was deal with a broker in Bangkok like most did? The ones operating with in the Golden Triangle were the CIA.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran

View attachment 19080795
sorry mate ,,
it is a regional thing ,
even if these were from laos ,
its right next door to the air base province , pretty much regional id say ,
not sure why your posts come across as hostile ??
are you upset about something ??

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
That is why you would have seen Thai sticks coming from different areas of the Golden Triangle.
there was no thai sicks from there mate ,
your attempt to prove this with your video was not successful ,
a few plants grown in burma does not equate to thai sticks in the golden triangle area of thailand ...
there is no mention anywhere of it happening ,
im all ears for some evidence ,, but so far there hasnt been any ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
trying to troll me? with little grammatical typeoooooooo oh ...
im only interested in facts mate ,
though when writing , in order to be understood properly ,
grammer can be important , so we know exactly what you mean is all ...

you seem a bit grumpy though since your first post to chi ,
you told me you dont even care about thai sticks etc , or do you ??

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🦫 Special 🍆
it is grammar not grammer..

are you my psychologist or something?

if i was quoted with something-------------> i answer... it is easy as 1 x 1

Chi13

ICMag Donor
People that smoked these Thai sticks are sharing their experiences, how is that heresay ?

The Golden triangle grew a lot of cannabis and opium, that is a fact, not a conspiracy.

Who was the person that was there on the ground in the 70s and early 80s that saw what was happening ?

Do you mean the Author of the book Thai stick, if so how were they involved, all they did was deal with a broker in Bangkok like most did? The ones operating with in the Golden Triangle were the CIA.
It's heresay because they are basing that on what they're told. No one has any evidence of opium in Thai Sticks. Just because someone was told there was opium in your stick does not make it so.

I'm sure Thai sticks could have come from Thailand or Laos? I don't get what the significance is you draw from this? The countries are next door with much contact between the two. So what?

Why keep bringing up the Hmong?
An article from someone who lived in Laos and has studied the cannabis culture there.
Western cannabis aficionados often associate the Hmong with cultivation of ganja (sinsemilla or semi-sensi), but there is no established Hmong tradition of cultivating this crop, certainly not in their homeland in China and not in their villages in regions with a tradition of producing and consuming drug-type cannabis such as Thailand and Laos either.
The idea that there are Hmong strains of ganja can join the heap of other dubious Orientalist fantasies which pot aficionados have built up about about Asian ethnic minorities and cannabis, probably the most popular of which are images of wizened highlander oldsters smoking ‘cannabis’ in pipes….

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I wasn't alive so my thoughts really have no weight when it comes to this, but it seems that everyone is hung up on the idea that the Thais didn't/wouldn't do this, so its just a myth.

But to me it sounds like something a dealer would certainly do. Put some opium or heroin in alcohol and spray the tincture on the buds. Then make up a fantastical story to tell all your customers. That before leaving Thailand, a group of maidens dunks each stick by hand, one at a time, into liquefied opium, then dries it' slowly by blowing loving kisses in its direction.
At some point some customer was like, I don't want to smoke hard drugs and the dealer says oh.. well.. it's not really real opium, it's just the leftovers from the process of making it, a by-product if you will.
Then more rumors and legends were created. 😂
Seriously tho. I'm sure that at some point in the 70s somebody sold opiated weed. Probably even in stick form, but to me -that doesn't have to mean that the Thais were the ones that made them.
I remember seeing weed show in Thailand and the host asked about Thai sticks and the guy said that the Thais didn't form there weed like that. He said that was something that a ingenious G.I. created just to help sell and advertise his product, they nobody was forming sticks in Thailand until that customers started demanding it in sticks. This was a young guy, that wouldn't have been alive at the time, so who knows if he's bullshitting or not. Is there any documentation that shows Thai sticks before the US entered Vietnam? Did the French find Thai sticks when they were in Vietnam before the Americans?

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Thai sticks originate from the Hill tribes and those same hill tribes are found in Thailand Laos and Burma most with in what we call the Golden Triangle.

The CIA operated there all through the war, and I would bet still do.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hearsay occurs when a witness testifies about something that he or she heard about but didn't witness personally. You aren't allowed to testify that something is true just because someone told you it was true. You can only say that something is true when you know it is because you observed it yourself.

Ie , unless you saw folks adding opium to sticks in thailand , or there is direct evidence thais were doing that, its hearsay ,
there is no evidence any thai stick operations included adding opium ,,

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I wasn't alive so my thoughts really have no weight when it comes to this, but it seems that everyone is hung up on the idea that the Thais didn't/wouldn't do this, so its just a myth.

But to me it sounds like something a dealer would certainly do. Put some opium or heroin in alcohol and spray the tincture on the buds. Then make up a fantastical story to tell all your customers. That before leaving Thailand, a group of maidens dunks each stick by hand, one at a time, into liquefied opium, then dries it' slowly by blowing loving kisses in its direction.
At some point some customer was like, I don't want to smoke hard drugs and the dealer says oh.. well.. it's not really real opium, it's just the leftovers from the process of making it, a by-product if you will.
Then more rumors and legends were created. 😂
Seriously tho. I'm sure that at some point in the 70s somebody sold opiated weed. Probably even in stick form, but to me -that doesn't have to mean that the Thais were the ones that made them.
I remember seeing weed show in Thailand and the host asked about Thai sticks and the guy said that the Thais didn't form there weed like that. He said that was something that a ingenious G.I. created just to help sell and advertise his product, they nobody was forming sticks in Thailand until that customers started demanding it in sticks. This was a young guy, that wouldn't have been alive at the time, so who knows if he's bullshitting or not. Is there any documentation that shows Thai sticks before the US entered Vietnam? Did the French find Thai sticks when they were in Vietnam before the Americans?
might have stemmed from the fact french have bread sticks even mate lol,

and yes everyone has said for sure folks put these two things together at some point,
but large scale , unlikely given the different areas of production the logistics , the extra work , cost etc etc etc,
and the fact the weed was primo , and the opium would totally ruin the weed ,
bascially , if u want an opium affect , just smoke some opium , the weed doesnt add anything at all ...