What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
At leds.de the philips 13w is 4,68 euros.

Which makes it about as expensive per watt as a DE gavita.
The higher wattage bulbs do tend to get more expensive per watt.

The 20w osram is 10-11 euros online

Ah nice find, frica !
Always good to know the best deals on the bulb market these days.
Since these bulbs are consumer products, there will always be a lot of fluctuation and price pressure!

Good comparison with the Gavita, can that really be ?
I guess you lose less energy to heat with the LEDs ?

Thanks man

CC

frica

Ah nice find, frica !
Always good to know the best deals on the bulb market these days.
Since these bulbs are consumer products, there will always be a lot of fluctuation and price pressure!

Good comparison with the Gavita, can that really be ?
I guess you lose less energy to heat with the LEDs ?

Thanks man

CC

I see Blynx getting 0.9 -1 gram per watt with his led bulbs and I think those are only 80 lm/w.
So I assume the Philips leds should be a little more efficient than a gavita. Not sure how those bulbs would perform when you scale the area up. But it should stay the same

Gavita 1000w de is 400-450 euros.
1000W of 13w philips bulbs would be 360, and you could probably contact leds.de for a discount with such a large order. You'd still have to get sockets anf that many bulbs(70) are a bit unhandy.
But the price should be around the same in the end.

But for any small grow those bulbs are ideal.

shigoga

Hello everyone, Signed up just to tell you guys that this thread has inspired the shit out of me, always wanted to build a grow tent but didnt want to spend a lot of money on special grow lights or pay a huge monthly electric bill, so this thread showing that simple LEDs produce such great results finally got me off my ass to make something fun.

Recently made this monstrosity:
Q8VyUxi.jpg

zk14BhN.jpg

These images arent the most up to date though, i've painted the wood white and the changed the outer 4 bulbs to the same color as the one in the center, so now the configuration is 6 2700k bulbs & 5 6500k bulbs, like so:

6500k---2700k----2700k---6500k

-----2700k---6500k---2700k-----

The bulbs im using are all Osram 14.5w, each rated at 1520lm, if anyones interested i have a spectrometer at work and i've tested the two bulbs, this is the result,

The 6500k 14.5w Osram bulb:
zRCtpNF.jpg

The 2700k 14.5w Osram bulb:
hpyj2J4.jpg

Combined spectrum superimposed in photoshop:
cqFqpw0.jpg

I think this spectrum covers me pretty well for a low cost hobby build.

Anyways nice to meet you all and thanks again for this great thread.

brown_thumb

Welcome, shigoga. Nice first post.

Would you be interested in doing spectral analysis of a few common bulbs?

Last edited:

shigoga

Welcome, shigoda. Nice first post.

Would you be interested in doing spectral analysis of a few common bulbs?

it depends, i'm not american so i'm not sure whats common.. osram is the only brand i can locally buy that isnt shit, we dont even get philips over here..

Wow, looks amazing.

Thanks, i'll take another picture of it turned on in the tent when i get home, its bright as fuck.

Thank you great work, i think the spektrum of the 20 watts bulbs i got wont differ. to much.

Real nice fixture

Thanks, there probably wont be any difference..

brown_thumb

shigoga, I'm very interested in having a specific lamp tested. It's a 110v multi-color LED with E27 socket. If you're interested then I'll send one to you.

Muleskinner

Veteran

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello everyone, Signed up just to tell you guys that this thread has inspired the shit out of me, always wanted to build a grow tent but didnt want to spend a lot of money on special grow lights or pay a huge monthly electric bill, so this thread showing that simple LEDs produce such great results finally got me off my ass to make something fun.

Recently made this monstrosity:
View Image
View Image

These images arent the most up to date though, i've painted the wood white and the changed the outer 4 bulbs to the same color as the one in the center, so now the configuration is 6 2700k bulbs & 5 6500k bulbs, like so:

-----2700k---6500k---2700k-----

The bulbs im using are all Osram 14.5w, each rated at 1520lm, if anyones interested i have a spectrometer at work and i've tested the two bulbs, this is the result,

The 6500k 14.5w Osram bulb:
View Image

The 2700k 14.5w Osram bulb:
View Image

Combined spectrum superimposed in photoshop:
View Image

I think this spectrum covers me pretty well for a low cost hobby build.

Anyways nice to meet you all and thanks again for this great thread.

Radical! You McGyver'd four more arms to that fixture ??
I'm using two of them next to each other, under each one one plant with 4weeks offset( so far the plan, currently only one)
Good thinking !

frica

so it looks like these are the best Philips option in the US. It is amazing, it looks like you're getting the exact same spectrum and efficiency as the very expensive full-spectrum LED grow lights.

Does anyone know the beam angle of the diodes once the globe is off?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-...te-A19-LED-Light-Bulb-2-Pack-461961/206923033

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-100W-Equivalent-Daylight-LED-Light-Bulb-2-Pack-462002/206923041
Beam angle of roughly 110-120 degrees.

With a little light outside of it but the bulk will be in a 120 degree cone.

R

ratsidecar

Heads up people philips have some new LED bulb models out. Of particular interest is this one; http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/8718696577011/led-bulb/specifications
Its 6w, dimmable and 806 lumens which if the number is correct means these bulbs are 134 lumens per watt and the most efficient screw in type bulb available yet.

Also this reflector model; http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/8718696578414/led-reflector
7w and 667 lumens whuich seems on the low side, however it is very directional with a 40 degree beam angle and no globe to be removed!

I havent posted in a while, I experimented with a run of autoflowers but it didnt work out very well, most of them stayed small and runtish and just didnt have enough veg time to grow big, however soil quality was also a factor as the stuff I had was crawling with white bugs.

I have a few photos of current grow as well.This one is looking much better, 1 white rhino, 1 blue mystic and 1 ak, each in 13litre hempy buckets. There is more vertical growth than I would like as I didnt use a scrog screen this time and just bent and crushed stems to make the plants fill out. The ak in the middle rapidly outgrew the other plants and I think this was a contributing factor. These are all at 3.5 weeks of 12/12

shigoga

shigoga, I'm very interested in having a specific lamp tested. It's a 110v multi-color LED with E27 socket. If you're interested then I'll send one to you.

i'm on 220v though, not sure how to overcome this... can you link to the bulb? maybe it comes in 220v version?

so it looks like these are the best Philips option in the US. It is amazing, it looks like you're getting the exact same spectrum and efficiency as the very expensive full-spectrum LED grow lights.

Does anyone know the beam angle of the diodes once the globe is off?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-...te-A19-LED-Light-Bulb-2-Pack-461961/206923033

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-100W-Equivalent-Daylight-LED-Light-Bulb-2-Pack-462002/206923041

yeah these look like they would work the same as the Osram bulbs im using, philips is a good brand, However if you can get your hands on 4000k bulbs i think that spectra might be just as good as mixing 2700k and 6500k, i might have gone with 4000k bulbs if Osram made any.

But honestly if i had to make the fixture from scratch all over again i'd probably try to find high CRI bulbs, 90+ at least, they are always lower on the lumen count but overall they are more efficient for plants then a high lumen low CRI bulb since a good deal of the light is not in an ideal range for plant growth, i have basically none i can find locally but if you're american you've got some options.

these are not cheap but they have the best spectra i've seen:
https://res.cloudinary.com/soraa/image/upload/v1477998308/product_specs/par30s/02783/spec_sheet.pdf

checkout the 4000k graph, you get everything from violet to far red, hands down the most coverage i've seen, but at a hefty $34 per bulb:
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/117493/LED-00859.html, the only white bulb i know that actually produces violet.

There are cheaper high CRI bulbs though, usually without violet but with considerably better reds then a standard 2700k bulb even at 4000k.

i might order the 4000k Soraa and run a side by side against 2 Osram bulbs 2700k/6500k combo.

Radical! You McGyver'd four more arms to that fixture ??
I'm using two of them next to each other, under each one one plant with 4weeks offset( so far the plan, currently only one)
Good thinking !

Thanks! i found out about that 1 to 7 splitter from this thread :), took a picture of it up and running, i dont have an actual lux meter so i use an app that uses the light meter of my phone, at 1 foot away i'm getting 65k lux, for reference direct sunlight at noon adds up to 120k on this app, i can get to this number by just moving the fixture a tad closer.

mEUIDCJ.jpg

pANicModE

there is a point of diminishing when it comes to LEDS or with grow lights in general.. so being to close or having to much light in your cabs can give you less growth and or yield. more is not always better :rasta:

Muleskinner

Veteran
OK, I just got the Phillps 5000K 14w bulb and took the bulb off. Super bright. I see the difference now between this and my expensive 17w Philips reflector bulbs. The reflector ones have a very tight beam angle of 35 degrees, the 14 watters are more like 150.

The reflector bulb is WAY better at maintaining an intense beam for 2-3 feet away, therefore better for flowering big plants. Highly recommend using these if you can afford the $$, you're paying for the lens. The regular ones diffuse out quickly just 1 foot away from the bulb.

I just found a new favorite one - perfect for flower, $15 each, the specs sheet has a spectrum at the bottom - 12 watts 1100 lumens, 35 degree beam angle:

http://www.usa.lighting.philips.com...s/led-lamps/par38-led/929001183404_NA/product

*edit, there's a 5000K version for 100 lumen/watt - 1200! Will have to try a few:

http://www.usa.lighting.philips.com...s/led-lamps/par38-led/929001183504_NA/product

here's my older ones, 17w and 1300 lumens:

http://www.usa.lighting.philips.com...s/led-lamps/par38-led/929001183404_NA/product

Last edited:

shigoga

there is a point of diminishing when it comes to LEDS or with grow lights in general.. so being to close or having to much light in your cabs can give you less growth and or yield. more is not always better :rasta:

still only half as strong as direct sunlight, not sure if im at the point of diminishing returns yet.

It's the 45 watt version of THESE

Interesting bulbs, just ordered the 18w, 30w & 45w, will test them when they arrive, the 30w will be added to my fixture in the center, the 18w is for a side by side i plan on doing with the Soraa 18.5w 95 CRI bulb i mentioned earlier.

brown_thumb

<snip> Interesting bulbs, just ordered the 18w, 30w & 45w, will test them when they arrive, the 30w will be added to my fixture in the center, the 18w is for a side by side i plan on doing with the Soraa 18.5w 95 CRI bulb i mentioned earlier.

Wow... excellent!! I would have sent you one of the 45 watt versions for free to test. I like the 45 watt model because of the higher percentage of UV and IR emitters. So far, they seem to be doing okay for me.

Be aware, the wattage of those lamps are WAY overrated. My 45 watt lamps only draw 15.3 watts. What I like about them is the variegated mix of color spectrum.