What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Muleskinner

Veteran
The 17w Philips floods I posted a few pages ago continue to do well in my garden, although they're not cheap (#435438 ~$23). The plants look extremely healthy.

The lumen numbers are misleading. I compared the 17w floodlight to some older bulbs with more lumens and the floods were about 3 times brighter on the canopy. The way the light is focused is much better, it's perfect for growing. 35 degree beam angle seems best.

these are replacing my old 250 MH veg light that needed a new bulb every 6 months. I can dial down the electricity use. Each 17w Phillps bulb can easily light a 10"X10" seedling tray. I was burning 250 watts for just a few seedlings.

TheScrogFrog

Here's the LED light fixture I made from scrap furring strips. I tried to design it so I could get an extra 1/2" overall height. Every little bit helps in this little tent.

picture.php

The Revolution

Veteran
Nice fixture scrog! Are these all hardwired? Can you show us the other side? Ive been lurking thru this thread for a while. I used a few of these LED bulbs early in the season to veg seedlings up, and I continue to use them for rooting cuttings. Im very impressed with the growth that Im getting from these 17w LEDs. Im trying to design some kind of cabinet to house my mothers and males through the winter. What I have now is kinda jerry rigged, and in a tote. I need a little more space. I guess Ill have to keep my eye out for a nice cabinet in a yard sale or something. Im super impressed with the results Im seeing utilizing these LEDS>> I can forsee myself making a lot of seeds using these indoors. Id imagine you could keep a fairly decent sized plant under 5-6 of these, just enough to get it through its cycle and mature the seeds..

TheScrogFrog

Will do when I get it finished up, Revolution. Yes it will be wired in parallel with 16 gauge extension cord.

Heads up for anyone looking for bulbs right now Home De Pot has a great deal on the Philips 60W's(draw 8.5W), they had 6 packs for $14.96. Can't go wrong with that price. I scooped up a dozen for spares and other projects. They also had the Philips 100W(draw 14.5W) 4 packs for $24.97.

Last edited:

Scrappy-doo

Veteran
Looks like some of you cut the plastic tops off. Has anyone managed to pull them off somehow? I picked up a couple and they seem like they're on there pretty good.

TheScrogFrog

Looks like some of you cut the plastic tops off. Has anyone managed to pull them off somehow? I picked up a couple and they seem like they're on there pretty good.

Drill a hole in the plastic top, kinda near the bottom where it meets the base, take some plyers and start ripping chunks out around the base and rip the globe off. It took me a few bulbs to get the hang of it. I found the more material I removed before trying to pry the top off the easier it gets.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
Yeah they're like snap in and glue you have to break like 50 percent of the little lip before you can pull it off. I find is faster to just use my dremel and a cut off wheel. Or a pair of side cutters.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The canopy in the LED cab is lower than I'd like and kind of angled, so I decided to raise the container up and try to even the canopy out.

Here's the LED cab after five weeks of flowering.

C99 x Shire (SSSDH)

Day 35 Flower

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Blynx and everyone else who has contributed to this thread. Well fucking done..you guys are pulling some serious shit with these lights. Like wow.

Here in my country ( south Africa ) in she been searching and searching , and can't seem to find any LED lights higher than 10 watt's. I can find proper grow lights, but way out of my budget right now.

I have however found Osram 9.5 watt led's -806 lumens ( which I believe is quite decent, right ? ) 3000 k spectrum which I shall be ordering soon..going to be growing in either a proper cupboard/home made wooden box / metal filing cabinet. All have their pros and cons. Will be trying for at least 60 watts the first run and expand lights from there in a hopeful 2 square foot space. With 2 to 4 plants. Seed bag Swazi / and skunk and then order seeds online after I have successfully grown my first grow. Been checking out seedsman, and they seem the best with best prices.

Gnz

any down side to using a 5000K daylight LED? Seems most are going with 3000K, but for veg/clones seems the whiter light would be better.

Is this simply not worth the extra bang for the higher price?

http://creebulb.com/40-watt-replacement-daylight

Nothing wrong with using 5000k or 6500k for veg at all.

Those Cree bulbs are a replacement for a 40W incandescent bulb and only 6w so there's far better options for the price. 18w and 21.5w bulbs are a good choice but the 14w bulbs seem to be best value for money

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
I've run both 2700k and 5000k LEDs separately in flower - about 20 pages back in this thread as a test to see how well they worked. I saw minor differences between the two light color temps which I would say are positive for indoor flowering.

Overall the bluer lights make for less stretchy plants in flower with probably 10% less bud size in exchange for about 20-25% more frost. With vertical space being a common concern in cab setups, I can see a very solid argument for the blue bulbs in flower.

I have yet to run a mixed spectrum LED flower (2700k/5000k) but I have no doubt it would be somewhere in between the two in terms of flowering development. As far as what 2700k produces for looks / frost output, here are a couple random CBD plants I've finished:

Medtree Seeds Tabula Rasa (Harlequin x Toci)
picture.php

Medtree Seeds CookieTonic (GSC x Cannatonic)
picture.php