What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Northern Lights Micro, 16"x16"x32"-- 97 watts LED, Low Odor.

Forum Participation. keep #9 or chop?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

phunkeeboodah

If this is a contest, I'd say you got me... Your buds are looking a lot more buddy than mine, I had a hell of a lot of sugar leaves.

How did your grow turn out?

not good, only one kind of got me high and when it all dried it smelled like expired lunch meat and kitty litter. also, i had a cheap walmart (hanes brand, used to be good in the 80's?) sock situation where my socks were shedding so much i had to vacuum every day and since had a fan blowing on the plants they were covered in teeny tiny plastic wires aka microfibres. i tossed the buds in the ravine

on the plus side i have two joti varieties going now, popped 4 x the seeds and have what looks and smells like something actually decent and have ended up with 8 females all cloned and ready to be harvested in a few weeks and selected from

apparently mns seeds need to be planted in numbers to get a keeper. maybe in the next few grows i might run a bunch of them to try to find something. no more just planting four seeds

coiledsingle

not good, only one kind of got me high and when it all dried it smelled like expired lunch meat and kitty litter. also, i had a cheap walmart (hanes brand, used to be good in the 80's?) sock situation where my socks were shedding so much i had to vacuum every day and since had a fan blowing on the plants they were covered in teeny tiny plastic wires aka microfibres. i tossed the buds in the ravine

on the plus side i have two joti varieties going now, popped 4 x the seeds and have what looks and smells like something actually decent and have ended up with 8 females all cloned and ready to be harvested in a few weeks and selected from

apparently mns seeds need to be planted in numbers to get a keeper. maybe in the next few grows i might run a bunch of them to try to find something. no more just planting four seeds

Dam, your plants were looking amazing too, I feel for you man. Expired lunch meat and kitty litter, that's not what I was expecting. I hope you try NL again someday, it's a real treat if you ask me, an old school classic that surprises people all the time.. (maybe you've grown it before). I see NL available at almost all of my dispensaries too, crazy that this strain is still around.

I'll be looking for your journal if you have one up. I'm not sure I know what joti is (strain?) but you have me curious...

No more socks ! Go barefoot if you have to ! And good on you that you didn't risk smoking hanes...

MedScientist

Hydronaut Ganjaneer
Thanks ! This was an experimental grow and I learned much. As I made mistakes, (I lost around 4 weeks in Veg) I was also curious to see what an extended veg would do... It does a lot ! By going 4 extra weeks in veg, the frame of the plant and the stems of the 8 colas were the size of a fat pencil... Monsters !

I wouldn't recommend doing this, but it was cool to see how it turned out.

Looking at my fellow grower, (phunkeboodah), you can see a good contrast between a SCROG grow vs a Mainline... To be honest, I'm thinking a lot of small tops produces more quality (more harvest) than a mainline... I'll probably go back to a trellis net without mainlining for future grows..

But if your in no rush and don't mind extra veg time, its pretty amazing how beefy a little plant can get.

Week 6 Veg ! Building a monster frame in a very small grow cabinet...

View attachment 19085934

before 12/12 flip. Nice thing about Mainlines, its "set it and forget it", cruise control from here on out. All 8 colas stayed perfectly even without any training...

View attachment 19085940
I recently started a small tent setup, and learning how to grow smaller, ALL Budz plants like yours! I like how well LED'S are performing now! They were trying hard to get it right a dozen years ago. But I see alot of Mainlined, Quadlined, Mega cropping LED grows out producing my O'l 1000W HPS trees!

What you pulled off in a 32" cabinet just Amazes ME! ❤️ Thanks for sharing!

phunkeeboodah

Dam, your plants were looking amazing too, I feel for you man. Expired lunch meat and kitty litter, that's not what I was expecting. I hope you try NL again someday, it's a real treat if you ask me, an old school classic that surprises people all the time.. (maybe you've grown it before). I see NL available at almost all of my dispensaries too, crazy that this strain is still around.

I'll be looking for your journal if you have one up. I'm not sure I know what joti is (strain?) but you have me curious...

No more socks ! Go barefoot if you have to ! And good on you that you didn't risk smoking hanes...

i only planted one seed of ortega before which was female and this last run. in that first mns run was also one master kush skunk, critical skunk and nl5 skunk and the ortega was the keeper even though it wasn't aromatic like the mks or frosty like the critical skunk. it came down to the effects it was not exactly potent but potent enough for me in a vape and the high was consistent and long lasting

but still, i needed to try another breeder and also more seeds planted so this run i planted eight seeds of aghani and five of romulan x hot rod (both joti). all in the same rubbermaid tote o_o

pulled a few runts and males but right away each strain had an outlier (just one though) in terms of petiole rub and bouquet, which even at that was not that strong so was going mostly on petioles. they definitely stood out though

and now those two are still the outliers in late flower, with a few others looking comparable. so will see what happens

the afghani outlier is the shortest plant, healthiest looking/least effected by my subpar led growing skills lol, has the most sugar in the garden, and up close smells super like orange candy/soda. in veg the petiole rub was straight up pine trees and the bouquet was old school herbal, some things i have not experienced yet in growing

the romulan x hot rod outlier had a petiole rub of sweetened condensed milk and similar bouquet, and damn near grew as big as all the other plants combined. i even had to chop about three shoots after i had over top dressed, so imagine it with three more shoots. in flower this plant is the dominant smell which is sweetened condensed milk, but with increasing underlying vomit and/or expired fruit maybe? even though this will be the top producer, the resin content is not quite like some of the others. if i keep it, will see how it responds to hps this winter

also managed to clone all eight plants. water clone them in shallow glass jars yes, but, when placing rooted clones into soil for the first time, put a plastic bag over it until it takes <- game changer for me

and as for the socks.... i haven't worn any since last fall lol and/or grrrrrrr

after the hanes i tried an expensive pair all cotton compression socks from marks wwh. wore for a day, curious about the shedding, pulled one half way off, saw a tiny cloud of black smoke rise up into the air and explode like a dust cloud. looked almost like a.i. video manipulation... but nope, microfibres lol

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1341.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

Last edited:

coiledsingle

I recently started a small tent setup, and learning how to grow smaller, ALL Budz plants like yours! I like how well LED'S are performing now! They were trying hard to get it right a dozen years ago. But I see alot of Mainlined, Quadlined, Mega cropping LED grows out producing my O'l 1000W HPS trees!

What you pulled off in a 32" cabinet just Amazes ME! ❤️ Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, this compliment really made my day. ! I think growing in a small space has advantages, it teaches you how to train and how to grow horizontally vs. vertical. If I had a larger grow space, I'd still grow this way, low with all tops even distance from the lights. (only 97 watts of LED here)

Good luck with your setup, just remember, don't go up, go sideways !

Last edited:

coiledsingle

i only planted one seed of ortega before which was female and this last run. in that first mns run was also one master kush skunk, critical skunk and nl5 skunk and the ortega was the keeper even though it wasn't aromatic like the mks or frosty like the critical skunk. it came down to the effects it was not exactly potent but potent enough for me in a vape and the high was consistent and long lasting

but still, i needed to try another breeder and also more seeds planted so this run i planted eight seeds of aghani and five of romulan x hot rod (both joti). all in the same rubbermaid tote o_o

pulled a few runts and males but right away each strain had an outlier (just one though) in terms of petiole rub and bouquet, which even at that was not that strong so was going mostly on petioles. they definitely stood out though

and now those two are still the outliers in late flower, with a few others looking comparable. so will see what happens

the afghani outlier is the shortest plant, healthiest looking/least effected by my subpar led growing skills lol, has the most sugar in the garden, and up close smells super like orange candy/soda. in veg the petiole rub was straight up pine trees and the bouquet was old school herbal, some things i have not experienced yet in growing

the romulan x hot rod outlier had a petiole rub of sweetened condensed milk and similar bouquet, and damn near grew as big as all the other plants combined. i even had to chop about three shoots after i had over top dressed, so imagine it with three more shoots. in flower this plant is the dominant smell which is sweetened condensed milk, but with increasing underlying vomit and/or expired fruit maybe? even though this will be the top producer, the resin content is not quite like some of the others. if i keep it, will see how it responds to hps this winter

also managed to clone all eight plants. water clone them in shallow glass jars yes, but, when placing rooted clones into soil for the first time, put a plastic bag over it until it takes <- game changer for me

and as for the socks.... i haven't worn any since last fall lol and/or grrrrrrr

after the hanes i tried an expensive pair all cotton compression socks from marks wwh. wore for a day, curious about the shedding, pulled one half way off, saw a tiny cloud of black smoke rise up into the air and explode like a dust cloud. looked almost like a.i. video manipulation... but nope, microfibres lol

View attachment 19086260
View attachment 19086261
View attachment 19086262
View attachment 19086263

Very nice looking grow, you have excellent growing skills, much better than me. I see your leaves staying nice and green late flower, something I'm not so lucky with, but I'm slowly improving. Beautiful !

Masterk Kush you say? Nice ! I purchased some from a local dispensary to sample and wound up finding a few seeds... The master kush was terrible though, (smoking it)... It was such a one sided high, pure knockout with almost numbing qualities. TOO numb !... But being cocky, I thought to myself, If I grow it, it will be much better....

I had one MK seed come up (out of 8) and it took 2.5 weeks between a paper tower before it popped. (at the end of week two I sanded the seeds down with sandpaper).. One popped !

Sadly, my kids were snooping around, so I took he/her down.... I only had a 50/50 chance of getting a female anyway.. Ohh well..

Tip for you: These will not shed asbestos, arsenic, mercury, and lead like your hanes. A little expensive, but they last for years... Darn tough Socks....(that's the name brand)

darn-tough-mens-full-cushion-hiking-socks-olive-m-1520869-1.jpg

Master Kush

View attachment 19086429

8th2.JPG

coiledsingle

Example of a grow I did without using a manifold.. Note the uneven tops. Also, it was way too many tops for 3 gallons of soil, things got very rough late flower, ( I over did it ) 8 colas seems to work better than 25, but I must say this grow did produce a lot of bud.

Its hard to compare 25 tops vs 8, I'm still undecided with trellis vs mainline. (trellis is a LOT more work though)

Next grow I may go 5 gallons soil and try a quadline with 16 tops... I'm just not sure how to make a circle with 16 tops... (they will get in each others way) I'll also be getting rid of all the lower buds next grow, the tops of the tops are the best of the best,,, I'll be Lollipop-ping hard next try, forget all the lower buds, I'm not interested !

Durban Poison 1.5x 1.5 x 3 feet...

6_24side.JPG

Last edited:

MedScientist

Hydronaut Ganjaneer
When I topped all the Mains in my Outdoor Tent (hitting the roof), I took a bunch of cuttings to root for a friend. I ended up keeping the runt and have been playing with it! Mind you, as a Caregiver, I grew Trees thinking that was best for Weight. I would do stuff alot differently now!

Well, now I will do stuff differently because I am growing ONLY Personal!

My SideChick (runt), was at 28 days 12/12 yesterday. I decided to defoliate 1/2 the plant to see the difference in Bud development. I left the bamboo separator for reference .

20241018_split.jpg

20241018_side.jpg

coiledsingle

When I topped all the Mains in my Outdoor Tent (hitting the roof), I took a bunch of cuttings to root for a friend. I ended up keeping the runt and have been playing with it! Mind you, as a Caregiver, I grew Trees thinking that was best for Weight. I would do stuff alot differently now!

Well, now I will do stuff differently because I am growing ONLY Personal!

My SideChick (runt), was at 28 days 12/12 yesterday. I decided to defoliate 1/2 the plant to see the difference in Bud development. I left the bamboo separator for reference .

View attachment 19086587
View attachment 19086588
I'm with you man, I grow for myself only as well. One plant is too much for me, I can't keep up. So. I'll be defoliating hard as well.

That a nice looking plant man ! The buds are filling in nicely... The only problem I had growing like this is what I call... "King of the mountain"... The colas that get closest to the light really take off and get massive while all the lower buds get left behind. With a mainline, all of the colas are "king of the hill" and all get massive... Keeping them even in height is key if you ask me, but you lose a few weeks in veg....

So many different directions to go with this hobby ! Thanks for sharing pics,

Is that a wood pole used to tie them down? Lol, nice man.... I used a Kabob skewer for my grow...Sometimes you gotta improvise.

MedScientist

Hydronaut Ganjaneer
I'm with you man, I grow for myself only as well. One plant is too much for me, I can't keep up. So. I'll be defoliating hard as well.

That a nice looking plant man ! The buds are filling in nicely... The only problem I had growing like this is what I call... "King of the mountain"... The colas that get closest to the light really take off and get massive while all the lower buds get left behind. With a mainline, all of the colas are "king of the hill" and all get massive... Keeping them even in height is key if you ask me, but you lose a few weeks in veg....

So many different directions to go with this hobby ! Thanks for sharing pics,

Is that a wood pole used to tie them down? Lol, nice man.... I used a Kabob skewer for my grow...Sometimes you gotta improvise.
Before I picked up my tent, I started experimenting with this clone to test my new led light, to find the sweet spot settings at each stage of growth. I went with the ViparSpectra xs1500pro (150w). I chose this LED because it uses lenses to diffuse the light evenly across the canopy.

Before I flipped to 12/12, I stripped the plant to just potential Bud sites, tying them to the bucket with wire. I had skewers on hand, but didn't want to go wider. Plus I wanted to see how the different heights reacted to the light.
20240920_growthTop.jpg

20240921_SideChick.jpg

This is the base at 3 weeks 12/12
20241011_base.jpg

The bamboo stick was just set across the base to divide it in half for my Defoliation experiment.

Next run, I will start with Fem photo seeds, and plan on Quadlining for an even canopy. ❤️❤️❤️

coiledsingle

Before I picked up my tent, I started experimenting with this clone to test my new led light, to find the sweet spot settings at each stage of growth. I went with the ViparSpectra xs1500pro (150w). I chose this LED because it uses lenses to diffuse the light evenly across the canopy.

Before I flipped to 12/12, I stripped the plant to just potential Bud sites, tying them to the bucket with wire. I had skewers on hand, but didn't want to go wider. Plus I wanted to see how the different heights reacted to the light.
View attachment 19086912
View attachment 19086913

This is the base at 3 weeks 12/12
View attachment 19086916
The bamboo stick was just set across the base to divide it in half for my Defoliation experiment.

Next run, I will start with Fem photo seeds, and plan on Quadlining for an even canopy. ❤️❤️❤️

Great pics, these explain everything ! It seems we are doing similar things with similar lights.... I'm only using 100 watts, but I don't think more wattage will do a thing for me. I've considered your light or the SF2000 Pro (which is square and 200 watts).,, But I'm already thinking I have too much light for my space. My light is getting old though, I may grab an SF-2000 Pro, I can always turn it down...

Here's my previous grow (NL)... Very similar to yours. (another mainline experiment, using 7 gallons of soil.) What a waist of soil that was, it hardly used 2 gallons out of the 7...

Week 9.1.JPG

Last edited:

MedScientist

Hydronaut Ganjaneer
Great pics, these explain everything ! It seems we are doing similar things with similar lights.... I'm only using 100 watts, but I don't think more wattage will do a thing for me. I've considered your light or the SF2000 Pro (which is square and 200 watts).,, But I'm already thinking I have too much light for my space. My light is getting old though, I may grab an SF-2000 Pro, I can always turn it down...

Here my previous grow (NL)... Very similar to yours. (another mainline experiment, using 7 gallons of soil.) What a waist of soil that was, it hardly used 2 gallons out of the 7...

View attachment 19087013
Yes! Very similar! ❤️

I chose the ViparSpectra xs1500pro because the lenses keep a pretty even canopy for PPFD. It goes on sale on Amazon for $89 often!

Any idea as to when you will start again? I think it will be Fun'erer to watch from the beginning! ❤️

coiledsingle

Yes! Very similar! ❤️

I chose the ViparSpectra xs1500pro because the lenses keep a pretty even canopy for PPFD. It goes on sale on Amazon for $89 often!

Any idea as to when you will start again? I think it will be Fun'erer to watch from the beginning! ❤️

Dam, $89 for 150 watts of light is crazy. I could buy two for cheaper than one SF-2000..

I'm not sure if I'll start again, if I do, it will be in the next month or so. I like growing in winter due to low RH and less pest risk (may be my imaginiation, but I believe pests take a little break (outdoors) during winter... No aphids coming in on sneakers if that makes sense)...

I'm looking hard for a new low odor strain to grow and am also looking for a new breeder/seedbank

Anyone know of a great breeder to try? Bohdi? Atlas? Brothers Grimm?

Strains I'm considering..

White Rhino
Master Kush
Green Crack
AK-48
Tutankhamon
Blue Mystic (hard to find non auto though)
Green Ninja (basically NL)

Maybe some intersting NL mixes...

MedScientist

Hydronaut Ganjaneer
I also think it is easier to maintain the dynamics in the tent during winter (heat, humidity). I don't think I have ever grown a Low Odor plant! Is there really some out there?

I can't vent outside at my new house, so I plan to run 2 fan/filters to combat smell. That is the only stipulation my wife gave me.

I ran Green Crack before, but mine didn't make the Strength cut. The Tutankhamon was Too Strong for my Patients, but that was OK, because I ❤️ it! My tolerance could be a bit HIGH though! I have also been looking at Master Kush!