What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

New THC Saliva test...

Sweatloaf

Detecting Cannabis With Just a Few Drops of Saliva

Unless I missed it in the article, the only thing I wanted to know is to what extent (duration) after consumption can said test detect THC?

LE couldn't care less if a rapid test picks up THC in the system from consumption days or maybe even weeks prior. An arrest is an arrest. A conviction a conviction. Does consumption days or weeks prior impair a person's ability to drive, etc? No.

This could be a big problem for people. Imagine the pushback and protest if barely detectable levels of alcohol were picked up on some alcohol test from someone drinking days or even weeks prior (ie having zero impairment effect at the time of testing) if alcohol remained in the system that long.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran

Unless I missed it in the article, the only thing I wanted to know is to what extent (duration) after consumption can said test detect THC?

LE couldn't care less if a rapid test picks up THC in the system from consumption days or maybe even weeks prior. An arrest is an arrest. A conviction a conviction. Does consumption days or weeks prior impair a person's ability to drive, etc? No.

This could be a big problem for people. Imagine the pushback and protest if barely detectable levels of alcohol were picked up on some alcohol test from someone drinking days or even weeks prior (ie having zero impairment effect at the time of testing) if alcohol remained in the system that long.
That's messed up. Using that rule they could arrest 48% of the town.

goingrey

The researchers only seem to have tried the method 0-3 hours after smoking so I suppose it is not known yet.

Nugg_dog

We have already got saliva tests for car drivers in Australia. First offence is about $600 fine and loss of license for 6 months. Police can test you randomly or you might drive into a big alcohol/drug testing setup for all traffic heading in that direction. Very arcadian views to weed in Australia.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Swab tests have been in use in uk for a few years now… I have 2 friends who lost their license for 12 months this way.
After a positive swab test, it’s a blood test to confirm… which is bullshit because weed stays in your system for around 30 days- unlike alcohol, mdma, cocaine which are out in hours.
They have no benchmark that says a particular level is impairing, just a positive is enough

Sweatloaf

Swab tests have been in use in uk for a few years now… I have 2 friends who lost their license for 12 months this way.
After a positive swab test, it’s a blood test to confirm… which is bullshit because weed stays in your system for around 30 days- unlike alcohol, mdma, cocaine which are out in hours.
They have no benchmark that says a particular level is impairing, just a positive is enough

^ This is exactly what I figured. Blood tests can't exclude THC in the system from a week ago or from my understanding with some people, even a month ago.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
We have already got saliva tests for car drivers in Australia. First offence is about $600 fine and loss of license for 6 months. Police can test you randomly or you might drive into a big alcohol/drug testing setup for all traffic heading in that direction. Very arcadian views to weed in Australia.
There have been 3 court cases in Australia where the magistrate stated that police cannot stop you unless they have evidence you have committed a crime, period.
They cannot stop you to gather evidence either.

Breath and saliva tests are medical procedures and cannot be forced on you according to section 51 part 23A of the constitution which says no civil conscription and forced medical procedures is civil conscription.

I Care

In Florida, at one time, there was only 12 total permitted medical marijuana patients. One of these original medical marijuana patients were monitored for driver impairment under the influence of marijuana. Some kind of driver exam required for them to drive and be a medical marijuana user. That patient displayed zero impairment after consumption and the review deemed the patient a safe driver while under the influence of. marijuana.

Last edited:

moose eater

Most saliva tests for THC in the past have been found to be problematic at best.

In Australia and Canada, some I knew of were carrying either citrus juices or alkaline resources like TUMS, and it was stated back then that either one could skew (to your benefit) the saliva test results.

Johnny Law has been seeking a road-side THC test forever, but in the past, the fervor for finding such a thing has apparently, from my reading, led to a lot of bunk science and wasted money on tests that weren't worth the mylar they were wrapped in.,.

However, that hasn't stopped them from hassling people in the moment, before each of those tests were found to be scientifically lacking in validity.

Maybe this one is different?

In which case, since the economy relies on worker bees, public transportation might become mo' better funded?

Sweatloaf

Most saliva tests for THC in the past have been found to be problematic at best.

In Australia and Canada, some I knew of were carrying either citrus juices or alkaline resources like TUMS, and it was stated back then that either one could skew (to your benefit) the saliva test results.

Johnny Law has been seeking a road-side THC test forever, but in the past, the fervor for finding such a thing has apparently, from my reading, led to a lot of bunk science and wasted money on tests that weren't worth the mylar they were wrapped in.,.

However, that hasn't stopped them from hassling people in the moment, before each of those tests were found to be scientifically lacking in validity.

Maybe this one is different?

In which case, since the economy relies on worker bees, public transportation might become mo' better funded?

"Problematic at best" Unfortunately, not problematic for Johnny Law or the courts at all. They'd absolutely love tests that end up being inaccurate, over-sensitive, etc. Totally in their favor. Adding to the concern, Johnny Law and the makers of said tests can easily convince John Q. Public that the test is wonderful no matter its accuracy. The lone voice of the person who maybe smoked up days before but gets nailed on a test and says: "That's not fair, accurate or reasonable!" would likely fall on deaf ears.

moose eater

"Problematic at best" Unfortunately, not problematic for Johnny Law or the courts at all. They'd absolutely love tests that end up being inaccurate, over-sensitive, etc. Totally in their favor. Adding to the concern, Johnny Law and the makers of said tests can easily convince John Q. Public that the test is wonderful no matter its accuracy. The lone voice of the person who maybe smoked up days before but gets nailed on a test and says: "That's not fair, accurate or reasonable!" would likely fall on deaf ears.
When they've lost in the courts for inaccuracy, or for other reasons, sometimes involving due process and the duration of time that keystones/metabolite stay detectable in samples, then at a minimum they typically eventually stop using those tests.

Yes, people suffer until that comes to pass. But think of how many generations of tests they've already gone through that had to be discontinued due to those sorts of issues.

And every time they have to have a cop or 2 in court, that cop's not able to be out on the road.