What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

New Old Guy

Started my growing career in Humboldt County in the mid-70's. Seen a lot of changes, from high school's mexican ragweed to the introducion of sinsemilla and Indica. Lots of good stories to tell, it was the wild-wild west back in those days. Had to take an extended break from using, due to my job, but retired about 10 years ago and got back in the game, but it's legal now!!!! Grow mostly indoors, but try to get an outdoor crop every year.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Started my growing career in Humboldt County in the mid-70's. Seen a lot of changes, from high school's mexican ragweed to the introducion of sinsemilla and Indica. Lots of good stories to tell, it was the wild-wild west back in those days. Had to take an extended break from using, due to my job, but retired about 10 years ago and got back in the game, but it's legal now!!!! Grow mostly indoors, but try to get an outdoor crop every year.
Welcome to the forum :good:

Not currently growing, but I'll start another in late Sept. or early October. Here's my last grow:
IMG_0929.jpg

Hey there Phytoplankton, no shortage of old memories here.

That looks like a successful grow with a very nice finish coming up.
Thanks!! Yeah, I ended up with about 28-30 oz. trimmed, cured, and jarred, plus another 10 oz of bud trim/larfy bud for bubble hash. Which yielded about an oz of hash. I don't smoke much, but I have neighbors that I trade with, one has chickens (eggs) and the other is a bee keeper, (Honey), so it works out well! My tent is 6.5x6.5x7ft. I've got an HLG 550 watt, and a couple older Bestva 200 watts with veg/bloom, unfortunately as the grow was finishing up both the old Bestva's lost their veg circuits, so I'm looking at picking up another HLG in the 350-450 watt range, I really only use about 5x5 the rest I leave open to move around in.. Most years I do an outside grow, but this year I have a construction project going on with contractors and inspectors, so I didn't want to advertise my grow, so I skipped this summer. I grow both autos and photos (at different times), but I've found that with the height restrictions, it really doesn't matter which, they both fill the tent nicely. Just have to be careful with photos not to let them veg too long, or they can get too close, then I have to HST them. I love being retired, I had to take a 30 year break due to my job (drug testing).

Glad to see another old geezer!

I think you'll do much better here on ICM than RIU. Many more experienced "heads", rather than smartass Millennial know-it-alls. ;) And the mods have many, _many_ years of cultivating cannabis as well, unlike RIU.(y)
I noticed that, the core group is fine, but there's a lot of kids, with little experience, that believe everything they see on U-tube, or what their brothers girlfriends cousin said (LOL), and then want to tell you how to do it, most of it is "Broscience". I have a decent background, both experience and education. For a while I was the head groundskeeper at a college, I also have a science degree and a minor in Botany (albeit it was around 45 years ago).

oldmaninbc

Trades are a good and why not trade when all involved feel the trade was fair.
Out of curiosity, what is about autos that make you want to grow them?
I am hoping my 2x200W LED lights complete the grow that's coming up in the next few weeks. This is my second set of lights and if I remember right there was something going on(veg) with one of the two I use. They are around 6 years old.

I made a poor choice when buying my tent, it comes in 2 sections, the lower part is only 60" tall and limits my grow to a maximum of about 30". my tent is 1m x1m

I miss growing outdoors and have no location to do so.

Retirement is good providing you can keep active and inspired by something.

I only ever worked at one place were drug testing was required and it only happened once. I was living in a small town and worked at one of the three bigger industries. From my understanding after the drug test was completed for a variety of intoxicants, there was a significant amount of people who failed the test. I believe somewhere in the vicinity of 2/3 of the work force failed the test. There was a little over 300 workers. The company could not fire everyone as the population in town is small. There was never any mention of the testing again but bosses watched employees like a hawk and workers were no longer allowed to leave work at noon hour. Any foolish behaviour by workers that might endanger a life would be written up and fired if need be.
Enjoy your retirement!

Trades are a good and why not trade when all involved feel the trade was fair.
Out of curiosity, what is about autos that make you want to grow them?
I am hoping my 2x200W LED lights complete the grow that's coming up in the next few weeks. This is my second set of lights and if I remember right there was something going on(veg) with one of the two I use. They are around 6 years old.

I made a poor choice when buying my tent, it comes in 2 sections, the lower part is only 60" tall and limits my grow to a maximum of about 30". my tent is 1m x1m

I miss growing outdoors and have no location to do so.

Retirement is good providing you can keep active and inspired by something.

I only ever worked at one place were drug testing was required and it only happened once. I was living in a small town and worked at one of the three bigger industries. From my understanding after the drug test was completed for a variety of intoxicants, there was a significant amount of people who failed the test. I believe somewhere in the vicinity of 2/3 of the work force failed the test. There was a little over 300 workers. The company could not fire everyone as the population in town is small. There was never any mention of the testing again but bosses watched employees like a hawk and workers were no longer allowed to leave work at noon hour. Any foolish behaviour by workers that might endanger a life would be written up and fired if need be.
Enjoy your retirement!
I tried autos out of curiosity, but they grew fine and yielded well (4-6 oz/plant). They have good taste and potency. With only really 3 1/2 feet of actuall grow space (pot is a foot high, lights need to be a10 inches from the roof, and then 12-25 inches from the top of the plant), autos fit well, but so do photos if you time the flip right. These days there's not a lot of difference between autos/photos from a consumable standpoint, early on auto potrncy was not good, but they've pretty much fixed that. Only thing with autos is they have to get a good start, if they stall, you're screwed! That said, I've only had that issue once, when I had to go out of town and had a friend taking care of them and he brutally overwatered. Unfortunately for me the testing was random and unannnounced, so there was no choice but to take a break. I wasn't going to jeopardize a 6 figure income and great retirement (which I'm thoroughly enjoying).

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Hello Phyto and welcome aboard

ever hear of a place in your neck of the woods called Raccoon Ridge?

cheers
big

Latest posts

Latest posts