What's new

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

Cactus Squatter

So I cracked out a few presses last night to try this thing.

What’s the secret to getting the rosin off the paper after pressing? I have a frozen catch plate for everything that drips free, but the bulk of my press is still on the paper. I’ve tried freezing them to break the rosin off it but it warms up and goes gooey so quickly I’m basically just smearing it around on the paper. Do you guys all have a walk in freezer to mess with this stuff or something? 😂

Reactions: Gry

HHILL

Sounds like you have some Terpy goo rosin. Sometimes it will cure naturally after sitting out for a few days and then it is easier to collect. Also, freeze the rosin and freeze the plate (cookie sheet works well) and then try to collect before it gets goopy. Different varieties will produce different types of rosin. I’ve found that OG’s tend to be easier to collect and you may want to combine two different varieties of flower when pressing out the rosin, it can be easier to collect that way.

Cactus Squatter

Sounds like you have some Terpy goo rosin. Sometimes it will cure naturally after sitting out for a few days and then it is easier to collect. Also, freeze the rosin and freeze the plate (cookie sheet works well) and then try to collect before it gets goopy. Different varieties will produce different types of rosin. I’ve found that OG’s tend to be easier to collect and you may want to combine two different varieties of flower when pressing out the rosin, it can be easier to collect that way.
Yeah, last nights super gooey stuff was Panama deep chunk, Zamaldelica and Zamaldelica x KaliChina. It goes gooey so quick after pulling from the freezer even with a frozen plate and tools. Smells amazing. The PDC especially smells so much like Church incense it was kinda fitting for Easter morning samples.

This morning I pressed some Killer A5 Haze bubble hash using the mesh bags to get a feel for it. Got really good results, but this batch forms more of a shatter consistency that flakes off the paper easier. Downside is little tiny pieces hit my skin and now I’m playing “mr dab hands” getting stuck to everything. 😂 I’m gonna be so messed up today after licking all this off of me.

I got lucky and one sheet of the KA5H I pressed peeled right up in one big piece.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
They make a glass tool to collect the Sticky Icky. It looks like a Stamp or Seal, but is flat on the end that is used to gather the rosin.

image.jpeg

HHILL

Haven’t see that one before Fletch. Nice. I use a glass pencil for collection.
Cactus- I’ve had the flakey shatter like rosin too. Maybe try a mix of flowers from the Terpy goo and the shatter flowers. May be perfect to collect and a nice effect from the combination of both Varieties.

I do 22 grams of flower per press in a bag, so with certain varieties, I’ll do 7.4 grams each of three varieties… for instance I did 1/3 pineapple, 1/3 mandarin, 1/3 Chem and the result was excellent, orange-pineapple that would collect well enough (the pineapple and mandrin were basically uncollectable on their own).

good luck and have fun, experiment! Also keep the humidity at 67% or more as the yields will be better as the leaves and stems won’t soak up as much resin.

Cactus Squatter

They make a glass tool to collect the Sticky Icky. It looks like a Stamp or Seal, but is flat on the end that is used to gather the rosin.

View attachment 18123938
Dude that’s what was hoping existed! Instead of trying to scrape the rosin off the paper I started rolling my tool over it and got it all collected a lot easier, but I kept thinking a stamp type tool would be killer.

Thank you!

44:86N

well now.

I have a rather small press (Dulytek), but it was my first drive around the block, so I went low budget. Love the little devil, though.

My experience with pressing is if you have good paper, it pulls off pretty easily. I use the Press Clubs stuff, with the silica side. And that is the side the goods go into, silica. Never had an issue, other than an over load or two, but that's my bad.

Every now and then I have to throw it in the fridge, but that's rare.

Maybe switch up yer strains, eh?

Cactus Squatter

well now.

I have a rather small press (Dulytek), but it was my first drive around the block, so I went low budget. Love the little devil, though.

My experience with pressing is if you have good paper, it pulls off pretty easily. I use the Press Clubs stuff, with the silica side. And that is the side the goods go into, silica. Never had an issue, other than an over load or two, but that's my bad.

Every now and then I have to throw it in the fridge, but that's rare.

Maybe switch up yer strains, eh?
No need to switch up strains given that I really enjoy these particular ones, it’s just a learning curve on techniques and things like paper type. I’ll try the press club paper and see how it does. You’re the 3rd person to mention liking it to me. I’ve only pressed using the parchment paper my wife buys.

highfidelity

No need to switch up strains given that I really enjoy these particular ones, it’s just a learning curve on techniques and things like paper type. I’ll try the press club paper and see how it does. You’re the 3rd person to mention liking it to me. I’ve only pressed using the parchment paper my wife buys.
The only problem with the press club paper is if you get any rosin on the side opposite the silicone then good luck getting it off. Wish it was double sided. I now do a directional flow fold on regular parchment and press that inside the press club stuff. That lets you do larger presses without having rosin shoot to the sides.

The only problem with the press club paper is if you get any rosin on the side opposite the silicone then good luck getting it off. Wish it was double sided. I now do a directional flow fold on regular parchment and press that inside the press club stuff. That lets you do larger presses without having rosin shoot to the sides.
True.

been using the 6"x12" sheets, which work well on my tiny little press, but anything on the 'other side' sticks and is basically gone. That only happens when I get a little over eager with my packs, though.

Press Club does have their paper on standard size rolls.

highfidelity

True.

been using the 6"x12" sheets, which work well on my tiny little press, but anything on the 'other side' sticks and is basically gone. That only happens when I get a little over eager with my packs, though.

Press Club does have their paper on standard size rolls.
Yea I save all my parchment and pucks for extracting with iso/ethanol so I get it back eventually but not the way I want it.

Yea I save all my parchment and pucks for extracting with iso/ethanol so I get it back eventually but not the way I want it.
I have stacked up some used flower pucks and pressed them again! You get a decent yield! Haven't tried the used bubble hash yet, but one of these days....

HHILL

What size press and plates are you running for 22grams of flower?
I’ve been pressing 14 so far using a 10ton Dabpress.
I use 3x5 plates on a Dake 10 ton bench press. Rosin Evolution bags and pre press. I use a 1 ton auger press (harbor freight) to make a 22 gram puck which slides perfect into the bag. 160 micron.

Buckdearly

So I cracked out a few presses last night to try this thing.

What’s the secret to getting the rosin off the paper after pressing? I have a frozen catch plate for everything that drips free, but the bulk of my press is still on the paper. I’ve tried freezing them to break the rosin off it but it warms up and goes gooey so quickly I’m basically just smearing it around on the paper. Do you guys all have a walk in freezer to mess with this stuff or something? 😂
I flip over a frozen pizza and put the paper on top to collect. Cold soft surface to work on- then when the time is right pizza.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can also put your scraping tool in the freezer to get it cold. That helps in scraping off the parchment, especially if the surface below the parchment is cold too.

Buckdearly

I press the buds straight on the parchment, no prepress or anything, it takes 4 presses for me to do an eight, but you can get nice clean resin without bit of bud in it if you're careful. This in on a hand press. I feel like it doesn't have enough pressure for the bag and half the yield gets stuck in the fabric...

I press the buds straight on the parchment, no prepress or anything, it takes 4 presses for me to do an eight, but you can get nice clean resin without bit of bud in it if you're careful. This in on a hand press. I feel like it doesn't have enough pressure for the bag and half the yield gets stuck in the fabric...
I've found you kind of need to pre-heat with a hand press, or step the temp up over 2 or 3 presses just depending on the variety (some flowers just gush it out, some are kind of stingy) if I am using a bag, and it does help (bagging it) to keep that rosin cleaner.

I will do:

1 press at 145F for 90 to 120 seconds (light press)

2nd press at 190F for 90 to 120 seconds (medium press)

3rd press at 220 for 90 to 120 seconds (heavy press), with up to 3 repeats until the rosin stops bubbling out the sides.

But, if I'm feeling lazy or lacking the proper time, I will just press flower on the paper, and it does work just fine.

pjlive

Anyone have experience with the Rosin Tech pioneered by the user @soilgrown on instagram? he uses a curling iron to extract oil from flower, no melt bubble, hash, kief, etc. The results of his technique look amazing, clarity and flavor equal or better to high quality solvent extractions, and I was wondering if anyone else has experience with his technique?
I've tried the flat curling iron method. It's a little quicker than the hot water bottle method if you can apply enough even pressure, but both methods pale to a high pressure press and decarb as far as I can tell. For hash making, if you intend to decarb as you go, temperature regulation is not essential or critial, but it sure does help improve the end product.