What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Meat Rabbits!! Pick a good breed! ;)

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
After browning up the cuts Im braising my bunny with onion, carrots,celery , vegetable stock, bay leaf, thyme , salt and pepper,a dash of white wine.
Slow cook for a few hours at 300F.
Ive got a few parsnips here so I'll boil those up and mash them to go along with it.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
$85/ea, and you usually want to start with a buck and 2 does, or 2 of each. No shipping, though I've read you can ship a rabbit almost anywhere. They're pedigreed, show quality, American Chinchilla purebreds, and they're on the ARBA's endangered breed list. The breed almost went extinct when the fur industry moved to synthetic furs. :D

Douglas.Curtis

The key is the same as any meat... cook it low temp until it just falls off the bone. ;) The best part is you need less of a portion than any other meat, due to how nutrient dense it is. :) Rabbit fat gravy? Oh my... when that fat is melted in a bit of water they both look clear with no yellow fats/oils muddling things up. Pure goodness! :D

Douglas.Curtis

I like rabbit but there's not enough fat on them for my taste.
You'd like my rabbits. 7% fat is considered 'lean,' and my rabbits are over 20%. ;) I raise them in a cool temp, biosecurity controlled area and they get a good portion of barley, oat, wheat and black oil sunflower seeds every day. Happy, healthy, well insulated bunnies. :)

Did the calculations on lifetime gross profit on our does. The difference between the mutts and purebreds is ridiculous. Once you've leaned how to keep starter rabbits alive, spend the extra dough and buy real genetics. ;)